How hard is Purdue to get into as a Transfer Student? Engineering,science,and Agriculture programs!

I know the minimum to get into Purdue Civil or Environmental and Ecological Engineering is a 3.0 GPA but my advisor says since Purdue is prestigious in Engineering that it’s better to have a 3.5-4.0 GPA.Am I guaranteed admission If my school has an articulation agreeement with Purdue’s and have atleast the minimum GPA? I know liberal arts is the least competitive school at Purdue and requires only a 2.5 GPA but I’m not interested in Any of the programs in that field at all. programs in the college of science at Purdue I’m interested in Are Biology, Earth Science,and Atmospheric Science which requires a Minimum of a 2.5 GPA but wasn’t sure If this was a little bit more competitive. Programs in the College of Agriculture at Purdue I’m interested in are Wildlife, Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, and Environmental Science which require a minimum of a 2.5 GPA as well but since Purdue is #1 in Agriculuture I was wondering if these were competitive programs as well. I didn’t do the greatest in high school which I hope to do well in community college and transfer there.

Hello anyone?

Seriously no one knows anything about transfering into Purdue?

Ask the admissions people at Purdue. I would be shocked if you are guaranteed admission with a 3.0, but I really don’t know. What is your GPA, and where are you at what point in your schooling?

You saw what my GPA was on the other thread I posted and you commented on?

“You saw what my GPA was on the other thread I posted and you commented on”

It is hard for us old folks to remember every GPA from every student on every thread. It helps if you can make it easier for us by including needed info in the same thread, or optionally including a pointer.

Not happy of where I attend Communtiy college! What should I do? Bad first semester!
This Is the thread you commented on and I gave the info! I plan to retake the class to raise my GPA!

It would help me (and the forum I suspect) to give you advice if we knew what this articulation agreement you are talking about says.

Assuming such an agreement does not exist, for engineering at least it is all about space availability. some engineering majors fill up every semester and are closed to transfers. Other ones have varying levels of space and that space is filled with the most qualified applicants first. So for engineering at least, to really give you an idea, i would need to know what major you are interested in.

I’m attending Ivy Tech in Lafayette and getting an Associate’s degree in Pre-Engineering That has a path for students to transfer into Purdue Civil Engineering or Environmental and Ecological Engineering! Those are two types of Engineering I’m interested in!

Type Ivy Tech Pre-Engineering Wish Tv on google and you will find a news story that says Purdue,Ivy Tech create path for Engineering majors!

@philliesphan08 did the information in the replies above help you to help answer my Question?

The best place to get the answer to your question is Purdue. Will it be affordable for your family if you get accepted?

I’m meeting with a Progrsm advisor at Purdue in a few weeks so they should be able to answer my Questions!

@SuperGeo5999 I just saw that. Based on that agreement you would need a 3.0 GPA in all science, math and engineering courses as well as meet the posted transfer requirements per the engineering school you are interested in (check the Purdue website for these) So long as you meet those requirements the way I read it, you are eligible for one of the 5 “protected” ivy tech transfer spots. Whether you are accepted would depend on the competition from the pool of ivy tech applicants for those spots.

In any case the most up to date information will be available from program advisor

Good luck with the transfer process!

Anyone know competitive Purdue’s Agriculture or Science Programs are? How competitive are the science programs at other schools in Indiana such as IU, Ball state, Valparaiso, and others?

Seriously no one knows about Purdue or other schools in Indiana science or agricluture programs or has attended school in these programs? It seems people only know a lot about what each school is the most known for such as Purdue being known for Engineering, IU being known for Business, and I think Ball state is known for Education!

Purdue’s agricultural engineering jumps around the top spots in the US. That is all I could tell you about Purdue’s ag program; however, I have heard the biology program is also great. While rankings are meaningful, I would first figure out where you fit in the most and then worry about which schools have the best rankings. Instead of worrying about the difficulty of transferring in, do your best to get good grades. If you worry, the pressure will build up and your performance in school may drop.

I glanced over a few of your other comments, and you just seem extremely ignorant of the whole college acceptance process. I’m going to correct you on some misconceptions you may have or you’re choosing to ignore. Many schools, Purdue included, are using a more “holistic” review process of applications. What this means is that your grades are not the end all and be all of your admittance. They look at leadership positions, club involvement, pay jobs, volunteerism, and so forth. Colleges are realizing that there is more to an individual than a few numbers on a piece of paper.

If I were you, I would take a look what you’ve done the past few years of your college experience. Look at how you’ve used your time. Was it used wisely? Have you made any sort of impact? Would it impress admission officials? If you answer yes to these and have decent grades, then I would bet you have a chance of getting in.

However, it is extremely important to note that transfer students, no matter how good their resume may be, are riding completely on the basis that there are opening in the programs they want to enter. If Purdue does not have openings, then you are out of luck.

I have one final point to make about your questions. Not only does your thread title suggest this, but your various questions do also: you need to make up your mind on your major. If you are unsure of what you want to do, go to community college. Spending a lot of money to TRANSFER to Purdue and having a vague idea of the general field you want to enter is a colossal waste of money. Purdue’s engineering, science, and agriculture programs are all linked, in a way, but they are all very different programs. Now, I’m not sure if you just poorly worded your questions and made it seem like you were not sure which you wanted to enter or not (if so, learn how to ask questions better and people will be more willing answer them better), but figure out a game plan before you even apply regardless of what you want to do. Right now, it seems like you don’t and you’re immediately setting yourself up for a few years of pain.

Now that I’ve lectured you a bit, because you clearly needed this information, I’m going to make it known that Purdue probably has the most competitive agricultural/engineering/biological program in Indiana. For future referance, Google answers your questions faster than forums do. Several websites release rankings on schools each year and Purdue typically places near the top of the lists for each of those programs (see: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/biological-agricultural-rankings).

Like I said before, though, rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. It’s all about how a program fits you. I suggest searching “[insert college name] plan of study [insert major you want to pursue]” or “[insert college name] same schedule [insert major you want to pursue]” and you will see all of the classes a student will typically take. Universities vary on what they offer students. Find what fits you. Find what you will succeed in. Find what you will enjoy and have passion for. If you don’t find any of these, you will either be miserable or have to force yourself to like it.

I hope what I say helps and sorry if I came off as critical. Your questions are very typical of someone who doesn’t have any clue what is going on, so I cannot stress this enough: Google is your best friend, going past the first page of results is a good idea, you can change what you put in the search bar to find better results, all of the information you need for college admissions and college programs is online, and happy hunting.

@csswim the reason why I was only concerned about GPA on this thread is becuase when I talk to an advisor or anyone else there first concern is my Grades/GPA and not helping me find things to make me become a well rounded person! it’s good news how my plans to get involved in things, get internships, get Part time Jobs to work during the school year, get full time jobs for the summer, and get leadership training will help me transfer into Purdue or other school becuase I thought for transfer students that GPA only mattered and extracurricular activities only mattered for high school students applying as well as GPA. I just finished my first semester of community college and I plan on being here for two or three more years and then I’ll transfer to Purdue or other University so I got time to build a Resume, get good grades, and decide. I’m gonna meet with a program advisor at Purdue with my community college advisor because some of the courses that may be required in the first two years of some of the programs I’m interested in may not be offered at my Communtiy college,this is my second concern and what I should do if my CC doesn’t offer those courses.

I think I’m leaning Civil or Environmental Engineering,Wildlife,and Meteorology as my strongest interests! How competive are those programs at Purdue?

While GPA plays a large role in transfer, I’m sure extracurriculars are not ignored. When you meet with your program adviser, ask all of the questions that you are asking here. They are the experts are who becomes accepted, so they will have the most accurate answers. I’m not sure how you will take those classes, but again, your program adviser will be able to help. I am sure there are other students exactly like you.

All engineering programs will have the same relative competitiveness I believe because First Year Engineering is required of all students. I’m not going into engineering at Purdue (I’m going into Computer Science), so I don’t know a whole lot about the process. Other science courses are competitive since Purdue has a great biology and chemistry program, but if you get good grades I think you should be able to get in. Just work hard and it will pay off.