How hard is Purdue?

While it is relatively easy to get into. I heard Purdue is hard to graduate from. How hard is it really? I intend to study Computer Science. Any parents or siblings of Purdue students or current Purdue students willing to shed light on this? While I enjoy being challenged I don’t want it to be an impossible feat requiring me to study all day and night. I’ve had enough of that in High School. If it matters here are my credentials: 4.5 WGPA 2300 SAT

CS anywhere will have high workload courses with programming projects.

I understand. Let’s compare Purdue CS to UC Berkeley CS since I know someone at Berkeley CS. At Berkeley it is very competitive because of the 3.0 GPA required to enter the program.

According to data here http://www.gradeinflation.com/ Purdue has No grade inflation (as compared to just about everywhere else).

@“Erin’s Dad” Ok. A lot of state schools do not inflate grades as well but that doesn’t mean they are just as hard.

Look at the data on the site. Purdue has the LEAST grade inflation of any school listed. And all others have Some inflation.

I think you will be able to handle the work load fine. Others may disagree but it is my opinion that as a land grant university Purdue’s first mission is to educate the students of Indiana, a state that has two flagship universities but a population of about only about 6.5M. If you come to Purdue unprepared you will struggle. Purdue might give some students opportunities where other institutions would not but it will not inflate grades. If you succeed at Purdue you earn it. This doesn’t mean that Purdue is harder than Georgia Tech, UIUC, etc. I believe it means that some who might otherwise not be able to get a first class education get an opportunity to show their best. Not everyone will or can. I believe that is why Purdue’s average GPA is lower than some others. Not everyone accepted to Purdue is ready for the level of work they are required to do.

@nobelcollegekid >>>I understand. Let’s compare Purdue CS to UC Berkeley CS since I know someone at Berkeley CS. At Berkeley it is very competitive because of the 3.0 GPA required to enter the program.>>>

It takes a minimum of a 3.0 to get into Berkeley…but usually a much higher GPA is needed unless you’re a superstar athlete. To get into their CS program, likely a near-perfect GPA is desired.

Actually, the OP may be referring to the college GPA to declare the CS major.

A student at Berkeley can study CS in either the EECS major or the L&S CS major. Frosh applying to EECS are admitted to the major (and therefore do not need to apply to the major later), but that is more selective than for frosh applying to L&S. Students entering L&S all enter undeclared, but those wanting to declare the L&S CS major must complete the prerequisites with a high enough GPA (currently 3.3) to enter the L&S CS major.

Purdue looks like it may admit frosh directly to the CS major, but those who are not must take the prerequisites and have at least a 2.75 GPA in them and a 2.50 GPA overall.

There is a big difference in acceptance rate in Berkeley EECS and L&S. EECS is like 5 % ( they do not advertize it so that they do not discourage students from applying) and L&S acceptance is round 18 percent. About 950 students in L&S declared CS as their major last year. I hear they are strained with all these students coming in through L&S, it might take them some time, but I would not be surprised if they start restricting how many students they will take from L&S

@ucbalumnus Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Purdue is hard for CS. I am a current CS student at Purdue. I didn’t have a background in CS before college and the exams are 10x harder than the practice exam and homework problems. The class assumes no prior experience but 210 people made 50 or below on the first exam. The class is very fast paced, so if you have good knowledge of Java (2 years minimum), you’ll be fine; however several people with 2-4 years in Java experience failed the exam

@Dhruv97 Thanks for the info!