How hard is the honors program?

<p>My son accepted a spot in honors, but now all his friends have him worried. Some students from very selective colleges have told him they can barley survive regular classes. He is worried and regrets accepting the spot. If we could only understand the program better and how difficult it is. Is it a ton of papers and a lot more work, or are you simply exposed to the best professors and smaller classes as I have read in articles about honors programs in general? Anyone who is in the program or knows firsthand? I would appreciate your thoughts.</p>

<p>I’m also incoming into the Honors and was worried. However, I figured the benefits outweigh. We get first preference for classes, so unless all the seniors honors students can fill up some class, we get whatever classes we want. There are a few honors class options and ways to earn honors credit towards an honors degree. We also (well some of us) get honors housing for all four years which is really nice dorms and saves money in the long run. Plus, to remain in honors you have to maintain a 3.5 GPA. Yes, I’m worried about it, but figured Honors will help with discipline, and if later down the line I find it too stressful, I can always drop Honors. Also with the preference for classes, we can pick the best professors. Class sizes depend on the type of class which depends on your major. For example, I know that for math classes if you’re in engineering or math related majors that the math classes you take are not in the math emporium and are in classes of about 20, even freshmen year like MATH 1206 etc.</p>

<p>“simply exposed to the best professors and smaller classes as I have read in articles about honors programs in general” is closer to the truth.</p>

<p>Honors won’t burden you with extra work. I’ve said time and time again that it’s absolutely worth it, especially if you get to know the staff. Hundreds of people (in all kinds of majors, including engineering) are in Honors and they graduate a good amount every year. If you’re as smart or smarter than those kids, you should be able to do it. Whether or not you have the discipline to maintain that standard is up to you!</p>

<p>The single biggest determining factor for internships (and your first job) is GPA. Maintaining above a 3.5 is absolutely possible as is keeping a normal social life. Anyone who tells you otherwise either thinks a normal social life is “class from 11am-12:15pm, partying from 12:30pm-4am” or they don’t feel like going the extra mile.</p>

<p>That helps a lot hearing you say that. I’ve read about some of the stuff honors kids have like studying until 6 AM or staying in on Friday nights for something silly. IDK- I guess I want to party more in college. In high school I didn’t, but it was more because I had my eye on college and a strict mom, and not because I didn’t want to. I will still be smart about it though and only want to go out Fridays and Saturdays with the occasional Thursday, and then stay home some of those time etc. IDK- I guess I will find balance there and I’m assuming there is a good mix of students in honors.</p>