How hard to get into TUM in Munich, Germany?

Hi everyone! I would be really happy if you can answer my question!

So I’m currently a high school junior in US and wanted to apply for TUM next year. I want to major in Computer Science. I know they have one of the greatest Computer Science programs in the world. What are the requirements to apply (like SAT score, AP classes, GPA, etc) How hard is to get into TUM? How much money would I need to afford TUM?

Any other informations would be really helpful!

Thanks!

You can find more information at the German Academic Exchange Service [website](Study in Germany - DAAD Office New York)

My son visited TUM at Thanksgiving last year and thought it was great, though not exactly what he was looking for. If I remember correctly, they had some English language programs. We paid someone to help advise us and I was somewhat underwhelmed with the service we received, so I’m hesitant to recommend them but your mileage may vary. (You can search my previous posts and find a link to the company.) But before you do that, look through the information from the DAAD website (above) and then reach out to TUM directly. I’d look at it like this, if you don’t have what it takes to contact the university directly to get your questions answered, you probably won’t be successful studying there. Studying in Germany is a whole lot different than studying in the US. You’re expected to figure things out on your own. They don’t have the same kinds of systems in place to advise students. You’ve got to be very independent.

I studied in Germany in the 90s after having been a student at UT Austin. It was quite a culture shock, but also a great experience. Now that I’ve given away the fact that I’m old and that I’m a mom, I’m going to tell you that if you can get the information you need on your own, directly from the source, you could be successful there. If you can’t, I’d rethink the idea. You could go for grad school. Oh, and they don’t do holistic admissions in Germany. It’s strictly test scores and grades and the cutoffs vary from year to year (if things haven’t changed too much).

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

First, you need to speak German well enough to participate in classes taught in German.

Next, you need academic qualifications that meet the German government’s definition of college readiness. The least bureaucratic option would be a combination of 4 AP exams: calculus AB or BC, one science (biology, chemistry, or both physics C exams), one language, and one additional “full year” AP of your choice (e.g. US history, computer science or both micro+macroeconomics). That’s considered equivalent to a German high school diploma (Abitur). There’s other ways to demonstrate college readiness, e.g. through a combination of high school classes and SAT scores, or an admissions exam. This government website lays out your full list of options: http://anabin.kmk.org/no_cache/filter/schulabschluesse-mit-hochschulzugang.html

Next, you need to fulfill the admission requirement for intended major + university. Calculus is a prerequisite for admission to all science and engineering majors. (Calculus is a graduation requirement at German high schools and not taught at universities at all.) Many college majors have a minimum GPA requirement. Check the university admissions page to find out.

About living expenses. The university estimates that students will need at least 1,000 Euros per month. That assumes that you have a subsidized dorm room, which have waiting lists of 1-5 semesters. Rent in your first semester will be MUCH more expensive. On the private market, you are competing for accommodations with the millions of visitors to the annual Oktoberfest. When I considered studying in Munich, students there advised me to take whichever room I could find for my first semester, no matter how ridiculously expensive - Munich is one of those cities where students may have to postpone college because they may not be able to find a room at all.

On the other hand, tuition + fees are comparatively cheap. Currently it’s about 200 Euros per semester, subject to change.