How important is GPA to UCs?

If I have a 3.95 UC capped GPA
1420 SAT
Will my high sat score compensate for lower GPA? Or will schools automatically count me out because GPA is less than 4?
Applying Davis, SD, SB, and Irvine

UCs tend to more heavily weight GPA relative to test scores.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1903428-faq-uc-historical-frosh-admit-rates-by-hs-gpa.html

Those four campuses are probably high matches for applicants in your GPA range. If you are applying to more competitive majors (e.g. CS or engineering majors), they may be better thought of as reaches.

You may want to add one or more of UCSC, UCR, and/or UCM to your UC application list.

GPA is #1 on the list of considerations. Your stats are a little light for all 3 on your list. I agree, add UCSC, UCR and UCM to your list. SDSU is another option

good luck

are my stats light if I’m applying under an environmental studies major?

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 (capped weighted) and not major specific:

UCB: 14%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 44%
UCSB: 54%
UCD: 58%
UCI: 65%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 94%
UCM: 96%

You have great test scores, so make sure your essays are equally good. You have a decent chance at UCI/UCD/UCSB and UCSD but none are a solid Match school. If applying for Environmental Studies, definitely add UC Santa Cruz and Cal Poly SLO which should be solid Match schools for you.

Best of luck.