How intense is the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets?

<p>Hey guys, I was just wondering how intense is the VTCC, especially for freshmen? Is it true that you will have virtually no social life, etc? I am on the civilian track, not ROTC if that helps.</p>

<p>Even on civilian track, it’s intense. A great experience, but very, very different from other freshmen hokies. New Cadet Week and Red Phase (which lasts until the first part of Caldwell March in October) is the hardest part. Even when you’re in your room you’re limited as to what you can do; you have set study hours and not very many privileges. After Red Phase you’ll slowly get more privileges and as the year progresses you will be able to socialize more.</p>

<p>As said by the previous poster, it will seem very intense as a freshman when you show up. Second semester it lets up a bit. As an upperclassman, its not intense at all.</p>

<p>Would participating in the Corps make ROTC “better” in some sense? My son is out of state, a HS junior, and very interested in ROTC. Recently, he started talking about TAMU and VA Tech because both have a Corps of Cadets. I know both schools are good for engineering, but they would both be out of state.</p>

<p>Define better? Schools with a Corps of Cadets have much larger ROTC programs than most. But in the end, HQ doesn’t really care what school you go to. All ROTC cadets are treated the same for the most part.</p>

<p>The only concrete difference is that Army cadets out of SMCs are guaranteed active duty commissions, whereas regular ROTC cadets can be forced to go reserves.</p>

<p>Thanks. Is it the same for Navy and Air Force cadets; are they guaranteed active duty commissions after SMC? My son seems to be leaning Army, this week…</p>

<p>Air Force and Navy commissionees do go on active duty. But in recent years, due to drawdowns in active duty numbers, many of our new LTs have to go on IRR after commissioning. What this means is that they do not get paid or receive any active duty benefits until they report to their first base for training. For Air Force it can be up to six months after commissioning. I believe the Navy takes even longer for some.</p>

<p>Is it possible to study outside your room during the required daily four hours? It seems kind of restrictive. Also, would it be recommended to stay out of Greek Life (say a professional one) for you entire stay at college? Or just the first semester or so of freshman year?</p>