How is UMiami for pre-medical studies?

Hi! I was recently accepted as an incoming freshman for UMiami in the College of Arts and Sciences. I was curious on how updated the science section is, how nice the labs are, the classrooms, the pre-med advising, etc. Thank you:)

Hi I posted previously too and it seems no one has an answer for this . I’ll check back to see if you get a reply.It would be great to hear from a faculty or a current student in the pre med program.

I can give you my perspective of the U as a parent of a recent graduate. My S graduated with a science major and a minor and he is now in medical school. For pre-meds, the academics are very vigorous and challenging. However, many classes are relatively small, and my S had excellent access to most of his professors. He had many options to perform research, volunteer, and shadow doctors, which are all things that are required to apply to medical school. The pre-med advising office is excellent and well organized in my opinion. I highly recommend the U for pre-med.

@racquetdad which Med school is your son in? How easy/hard it is to get into the Miller School of Medicine for UMiami students?

@dudefromnowhere just left you a PM.

CAn you tell me how the rest of the pre meds did with getting into US medical schools? Are the intro classes in the sciences for pre med very large? I am used to small classes in high school so I prefer those on the smaller size. Does the university have internships and shadowing opportunities in place or would I need to find those on my own? thank you

I recall the beginning biology and chemistry classes to be about 150 students. However, my S did take some honors sections that had 25 students. After the initial classes the upper level classes got smaller. Not sure if things have changed since back then. You would have to contact the pre-health office about all the premeds getting into med school as I don’t know anything about that. The volunteering, research, shadowing opportunities are all there- it is up to the student to pursue them and secure them. The school will give guidance, but there is no automatic matching for positions.

thank you… BTW what other schools did he consider before choosing Miami? It sounds like you researched the programs… thanks again

Remember that the vast majority of freshmen who arrive as premeds actually change their minds along the way. Then, many students have GPAs below 3.6. Of the 3.6+ students, fewer than half get into even one med school nationally. So, even though UM’s “3.6+ survivors” do better than the national average, when you make premed plans, you must have a backup.
This being said, UMiami is very good for a top student (CR 700+, M730+, AC 32+, has already taken AP Calc and AP Chem and/or AP Bio, will “repeat” those during their first year) who intends to go to med school. The difference between all the schools - since the required classes are similar regardless of where you attend - is in advising, showding/interning opportunities, and research, and UM is very good for that.

I can give you another parent perspective - this is what we learned as my son ('15 grad) went through the med school application process, He was a neuroscience major. Miami will do their part in preparing you, but you need to do your part. My son did well enough to receive a top 1% score on the MCAT, but he studied hard and is now in med school. However, I really feel that he would’ve done the same no matter where he went to undergrad. One good Miami pro - he was able to easily get a good research project, and to get to know his professors well enough for good references. These are two mportant pieces of a med school application…

I don’t think there are that many ways to teach Science classes, but there are many different abilities for the students to absorb it. Miami will do their part in the teaching - can you do yours?

For the OP, go into the Miami.edu website. There is an incredible amount of information with terrific organization under Premed at Miami. Many downloads are available. It appears that independent of their major, separate additional advising is available for premed.