How is VT's acceptance rate so high?

Every year I hear about people with stellar stats being denied from VT. While many are quick to say that the engineering acceptance rate is lower, looking up previous year’s GPAs by cohort shows that this isn’t exactly the case as it’s always shows 70% for college of engineering. Even if the Engineering’s acceptance rate was close to 30%, wouldn’t the sheer number of them bring down the average to something around 50%? Is VT lying??

It’s just one of those thing’s that’s perplexed when applying.
What other college do you know has a average freshman GPA of a 4.0 but an acceptance rate above 70%?

I think it’s going to be lower this year. Maybe around 56%. There’s another thread discussing why/how.

I believe this topic has been pretty well covered on another thread. Mostly, its attributed to VT not using the common app, which sort of makes the pool a bit smaller relative to other colleges who use it since it takes some more time/effort to apply rather than just clicking a box.

Weighted grades…

Are they trying to protect yield? Maybe they figure if you are a 1500/3.9 student, VA Tech isn’t at the top of your list.

I am a 1530 3.9 student and VT was at the top of my list. It is a top 15 engineering program I don’t think they need to yield protect. Maybe for other majors besides engineering and business, but VT brings in a lot of top students for those two majors especially.

My daughter is a 1500/92 avg (her school doesn’t use 4 pt scale) and VT was near the top of her list. It is a beautiful school and engineering is very competitive even compared to Ivies. Some of her other choices -Northeastern, Case Western, RPI - ranked lower, at a higher price point. We still haven’t plunked down the deposit because she is dragging this out, but it was always a contender.