How Long to Wait for Housing?

<p>Accepted with Markeing Major. (Will not consider engineering nor CS- :frowning: )</p>

<p>larger offers, no; comparable offers, yes.</p>

<p>Used fee waivers at 4 schools, accepted (with partial guaranteed merit $) to all 4; no clue about what additional (departmental, etc.) scholarships she might get. (besides UA, in at Miss State, Ole Miss, and Auburn- of these, Miss State is highest on her list- a great visit and very reasonably priced)</p>

<p>She also has applied to numerous local scholarships, and if awarded, I think these would follow her to whichever school she attends. D1 received some of these…no telling about this time.</p>

<p>We always complete FAFSA immediately after Jan 1, then follow up when taxes are filed. It is very unlikely she would attend a school where she had to take out loans. She would prefer to defer attendance for a year, work, and save the $ she needs, instead of taking loans out. </p>

<p>Or, more likely, just go the the less expensive school.</p>

<p>She has about $3,000 saved up now, and plans to save, save, save all $ from now through summer, so this will help for the first year. She works 15 hours/week (and full time during the breaks) at the local mall. We assume she will get Work Study as well, where-ever she goes. </p>

<p>The dilemma we have is this: I am not sure it is right to accept a spot, pay the housing deposit (or, worse, some-how get it waived) and then end up not being able to afford UA. Not fair to the school, or to other students who are Bama-bound, when she just does not know.</p>

<p>Our thinking was to wait it out 'til spring, see where the chips fall (financially) at all the schools, and then just deal with the housing choices that are left to her at that time. (FWIW, we are in the same boat at Auburn- not paying the $ now to secure housing leaves one SOL in the spring. I know it’s not PC to discuss AU here…sorry)</p>

<p>So appreciative of your efforts…I will not be back to a computer until tomorrow, ;)</p>

<p>(besides UA, in at Miss State, Ole Miss, and Auburn- of these, Miss State is highest on her list- a great visit and very reasonably priced</p>

<p>If she gets a better offer from Miss St or elsewhere, she should let Bama know that.</p>

<p>* She would prefer to defer attendance for a year, work, and save the $ she needs, instead of taking loans out. </p>

<p>Or, more likely, just go the the less expensive school.</p>

<p>She has about $3,000 saved up now, and plans to save, save, save all $ from now through summer, so this will help for the first year. She works 15 hours/week (and full time during the breaks) at the local mall. We assume she will get Work Study as well, where-ever she goes. </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Your D’s EFC will be affected by her savings. Student savings are “hit” much harder than parent savings. Her EFC would also be hurt if she were to do a “gap year” and work and save the money. She could lose her Pell Grant. Parent savings are MUCH more protected. Some kids have their parents hold their savings so FAFSA isn’t affected.</p>

<p>I think Auburn will offer her LESS than Bama. Auburn’s scholarships have decreased. Since it sounds like she has an ACT 30/31 or SAT equivalent…at most, she’d get less than 1/2 tuition from Auburn.</p>

<p>*
Auburn’s schoarships…</p>

<p>Heritage Scholarship </p>

<p>Requires a 31-33 ACT or 1360-1480 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA for consideration.<br>
Awarded at $40,000 over four years ($10,000 per year). </p>

<p>Charter Scholarship
Requires a 29-30 ACT or 1290-1350 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA for consideration.<br>
Awarded at $20,000 over four years ($5,000 per year).
*</p>

<p>*The dilemma we have is this: I am not sure it is right to accept a spot, pay the housing deposit (or, worse, some-how get it waived) and then end up not being able to afford UA. Not fair to the school, or to other students who are Bama-bound, when she just does not know.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>You wouldn’t be hurting ANYONE at Bama. It’s just a place in line.</p>

<p>The $250 housing deposit is worth the spot in line! $225 is refundable if you notify them before 6/1 that you are not attending. IMHO, $25 is worth the peace of mind knowing I won’t have as much headache w/housing if my child chooses UA.</p>