How many AP classes have you done?

Just out of curiosity, for anyone who has been accepted to Tech, how many AP classes have you? Also, what were they and what grades did you get in them? I’m pretty skeptical about a lot of Virginia Tech students doing so many AP’s.

Also I’m planning to take two Engineering classes and one AP class, AP Chemistry. I’m planning on taking at the most 3 AP’s which are pretty rigorous, AP Chem, AP Calc AB, and AP Physics I or AP Econ. Should I really do more. My strategy was to show I have an interesting in Engineering by taking a bunch of Engineering Electives. The Engineering electives are called Engineering Exploration I/Robotics and PLTW Principles of Engineering.

your electives, even engineering, are not nearly as important as your performance in your AP level math and science courses.

@undercover007 Seriously? How many AP’s did you do? I mean if 3 isn’t a good number, then what it is(don’t really expect you to answer)?

Would self-studying for an AP class and taking the AP exam help? @undercover007

When my son entered VT in Fall 2011 as a General Engineering major, he had completed 10 AP Classes and 1 Dual Credit. They included AP Calc, Physics, Government, US History, Government, English, Spanish, Chemistry, European History, and Music. His grades were excellent; however, what determines how many credits you receive is your score on each AP test. My son earned enough credits to be categorized as a Sophomore. BTW, there were other students that had taken more AP classes and arrived with Junior standing. I would not minimize the importance of taking AP classes if your school offers them since admission to General Engineering is highly competitive.

Thank you for your input @GradandMom It seems to mean like I now have a choice to make. Whether I really want to go to a school that will likely to take a lot of AP’s to even be considered or go to a school (GMU) that is closer and willing to take me with my schedule the way it is. I do know VT takes people with a high and low amount of AP’s, but I really wonder if going there is really worth the stress and anxiety. I know that there are many other factors as well. I mean GMU would probably be better as it’s closer to me and more local and I could get a job right, or even before a graduate. I’ve kind of mad a list of pros and cons.

Virginia Tech
Pros: Is nationally recognized and also very well known in Virginia, A good distance away from home (I want to experience dorm life), known for producing the most Mechanical Engineers in Virginia (Which is what I want to major in)

Cons: Would likely have to take a bunch of AP’s, very competitive (even after you get accepted)

GMU:
Pros: Not as nationally recognized (but well known in the NOVA area). Is becoming bigger and better each year. IT’S ROBOTICS TEAM!

Cons: Too close to home.

I’m really asking, job-wise, is the Virginia Tech graduate title really worth it?

Don’t take one response as a rule for you. I’m not sure exactly for VT, but I’ve been looking at schools, including VT, for my daughter. Your engineering electives are more important than many APs IMO. Robotics vs. AP language? No question. Just get good grades and you should be competitive. As always, have a backup, and good luck!

@2muchquan Thank you! I honestly don’t understand why VT thinks taking a bunch of AP Science and Math classes means that you’re ready for the world of engineering. I feel like the AP classes are used to make the place more rigorous and competitive and after you get, you’re still competing against each other for the best GPA.

Do you have a guidance counselor at school who may have more historical context? I would try to talk to them for some ‘guidance’ :slight_smile:

Yes I do @2muchquan However she was unavailable for most of the day.

Every school is different so there can’t be a set number of ap classes that are required. However their admissions office really emphasizes strong schedule and at most schools that is ap courses. Engineering electives can’t possibly mean more because every engineer starts in same basic engineering classes, where like others mentioned depending on ap score many students test out of other classes. I’m sure they’d rather have an engineer that tests out of English with ap language and then opens their college schedule up to other courses than one that has to take it And the regular engineering load.

You can always call their admissions office and ask. Only someone that works there would really know.

Thanks @undercover007

PLTW is seen as equal to AP for Engineering so you’re good on that account.
You should definitely have AP Chem, AP Physics, and AP Calc before you start any engineering program. Adding one PLTW class would be a good way to round that schedule, and Robotics will indicate your interest for the subject.
However having one Humanities or Social Science AP means one less gen ed to take while in college and thus an easier transition freshman year.
Most students admitted to VTech will have had 4+ APs or IB equivalent plus (fequently but not necessarily) PLTW classes or (more rarely) AICE.

Like for example AP Chemistry, AP Economics, AP Physics, AP Calculus AB? @MYOS1634

This would be my schedule if I take AP Economics next year and take out one Engineering class.

Engineering Explorations I/Robotics
AP Economics
AP Chemistry
U.S. and Virginia History
Functions/Trigonometry
Spanish II
English 11

This would be my senior year schedule:
Engineering Elective
Principles of Engineering
AP Physics I
U.S. and Virginia Government
AP Calculus AB
Extra Elective
English 12

If you complete 3 years of a foreign language in high school, then you do not have to take a foreign language as an Engineering major. Thus, you should consider taking Spanish III in your Senior year. That could be one of your electives.

Subsitute Spanish III for Extra Elective and you’re good to go! :slight_smile:

Actually, I already took two, technically three, years of Italian in middle school. I’m just taking Spanish I and II to get it over with. I just talked to the AP Economics, AP Chemistry, and Engineering teachers and have made my decision. I’m planning on doing four AP’s. This is likely the best I can do, workload-wise. I know people do a lot more than I do.

Junior Year:
Engineering Explorations I/Robotics
AP Economics (Weighted)
AP Chemistry (Weighted)
Functions/Trigonometry (Weighted)
Spanish II
English 12

I heard that Engineering Explorations I/Robotics is going to be pretty fun. A lot of people from the Robotics team are going to be there. The class is literally Robotics club as a class. I also heard, from the teacher himself, that AP Economics is pretty hard, but there is rarely any homework!

Senior Year:
Principles of Engineering (Weighted)
Engineering Design and Development (Weighted)
Physics I
AP Calculus AB (Weighted)
AP Statistics (Weighted)
English 12

Engineering Design and Development is more of an independent study into Engineering, pretty cool. Would anyone mind explaining what exactly is an independent study?

I do know that these aren’t the best AP’s to take, but they are manageable. They are challenging, but not to the point where I’ll have a mental breakdown in the middle of the year. I was going to take AP Physics I, but my Chemistry teacher didn’t recommend. I think it’s honestly not worth it as you don’t get AP credit for it and I can learn the same things, just not as in depth, in regular Physics. It would be good to take for the AP title and the more in-depth part, but not really stressing. Plus, my Chemistry teacher said based on my Chemistry grades, I should do AP Chemistry then regular Physics. It’s a usual pathway.

@GradandMom @MYOS1634 The post above.

It looks very good.
As for Physics, you don’t need to take it AP - you only need to take one class in it.
The only thing I’d change is Statistics, because 5/7 classes which are stem-related is a bit much, even for a future engineer.
However I suppose that in terms of weighted classes, it’s probably the easiest… I’d suggest taking AP Human Geography or AP Psychology instead to get a bit more breadth - only “well-lopsided kids” (think Sheldon Cooper) can afford to have all their eggs in the same basket so to speak. Normal students should have a variety of subjects in order to show they’re not too unidimensional. However, if your school offers neither AP Human Geog nor AP Psych, then AP Stats is probably the best choice for you particular schedule.

@MYOS1634 My school does actually have AP Psych. I would probably take that over AP HuG, I’m not into history. Would showing diversity in my choice of AP’s really be a good thing? Thanks for the input.