How many AP classes have you done?

It’s more that you’d need to show you can take more than Stem classes :)… I’d suggest you take a non-weighted class for that, but because you’d only have one AP if you remove AP Stats, I looked for a class that’s as easy as AP Stats but still weighted/AP.
If you had another AP class, you could take anything for that elective. But since AP stats is an elective, I looked for a non-stem AP that’s as easy as AP Stats… hence two of the easiest APs, AP Human Geog and AP Psych. :slight_smile:

AP Human Geography isn’t history; it’s actually pretty cool since it deals with life today in many parts of the world - you’ll see many issues appear in the news and you’ll get them, or you’ll be able to use the news in class. Some aspects are pretty scientific so they may appeal to you: from the official description, “Students employ spatial concepts and landscape analysis to examine human social organization and its environmental consequences. They also learn about the methods and tools geographers use in their science and practice.” It covers the topics of population, migrations, development, agriculture, industries, and cities. Lots of maps and pictures. It’s also super easy. :slight_smile:

AP Psychology is as easy as AP Stats (so, a bit harder than AP Human Geography, but easier than all other APs except APES). You’ll study stuff like Biological bases of behavior, Sensation&Perception, Human Development, States of consciousness, Learning&Cognition, Motivation, Personality, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology.

Thanks @MYOS1634 It sounds like to me AP Psychology would be really interesting. I’ll probably take that.

:slight_smile:
Ask around to see if it’s taught in a manner that makes it very tough, but otherwise… you’re good to go!

Thank @MYOS1634 This was very helpful.

This schedule looks much better. One question, even though you took 3 years of Italian in middle school did you get 2 years or 3 years of credit? Does your transcript show Italian I, II, and III? I ask because my son had the same situation with 3 years of Spanish, Grades, 6, 7, and 8; however, Grade 6 and 7 counted as Spanish I and Grade 8 was Spanish II. I just want to make sure your foreign language exemption at VT is secure.

@GradandMom It’s the exact same situation. I was in the IB program and in 6th grade, I took Italian 1A, 7th grade was Italian 1B, and 8th grade was Italian 2. I got two years of credit. Which is why I’m doing two years of two different languages.

You should plan on reviewing Italian and getting an Italian subject score. Beware that the Italian subject test is only offered twice a year so make sure to check the date and take your subject tests then. It will serve two purposes: certify you’ve reached the level of foreign language that they wish to see for admission and depending on score serve for your exemption toward graduation.
Three years of one language is considered better than two years of two different languages. In your case, I’d take the subject test in both Spanish and Italian to demonstrate your level.

@MYOS1634 I mean I was planning to do the subject test on Chemistry, and potentially Physics. I’m not sure I could take a Language SAT subject test. How many years of that language would you need?

Typically, 3.
That’s your alternative to having to take Spanish III.
You could take Italian alongside Chemistry and Physics in June - there’s not much risk, at worst it won’t count against you for STEM. In December, take Math2, Spanish, and whichever from Chemistry or Physics you scored lowest in.
This way, you’re covered no matter what.

Oh yeah I was on planning to take the Math two test next year @MYOS1634 I just took some practice questions on the SAT board and surprising still remember some Italian. My Italian teacher would be proud. May I will review some Italian. I’d probably want to wait until June of next year though. This time next year, I plan to take the SAT and ACT.

Sounds good :slight_smile:
Good luck and keep us updated!

OK @MYOS1634

Hi ak2018… I applied early decision & was accepted for this fall. I only have 1 AP (Gov’t) but 12 Dual Enrollment classes (Pre-Cal 1&2, Calc 1&2, US History 1&2, 3 English classes, Chem, Psych, and Historical Geology). Most of my DE classes were on-line & at my local CC. My school only offers 3 AP courses but our DE agreement with the CC is incredible! I’d advise taking DE classes if they’re available.

I would, however, I feel that would like cost a lot of money. @2020Hopeful

@ak2018, we’re lucky where I’m at in southern VA it’s only $9/credit hour. Books for DE classes on campus at my high school are free & I rent the books for classes at the CC, so it almost comparable to AP class/test fees.

I just checked, our county only allows us to take take dual enrollment for only two of the classes I plan to take. I believe we take the class at our high school. It would cost $171.25/credit hour at NVCC.

It not a race about who can rack up the most APs. A student without any can be more competitive for top colleges than one who has 8-10 or 15. Some schools have done away wit APs entirely.

@lostaccount I do realize this, however, I believe taking AP classes are a way of letting colleges see how good your work ethic is and how far your are willing to push yourself in order to go to these top schools. Also, AP’s strengthen your chances ONLY if you get a good grade and test/exam scores. And a student with no AP’s would likely have to some outstanding factor (e.g. a perfect SAT score) in order to be more competitive than student taking 8 - 15 and getting good grades and test/exam scores. I do know that AP’s are not the only factor when it comes to the whole college acceptance process.

@MYOS1634 I actually had a question. So I was planning on self-studying an AP Environmental Science, or AP Biology, over the summer and then take the AP test in May of 2017. I would take the course and review the course notes once a month and then study and practice everything. Would this be a good idea? I would have done AP Computer Science, but I wouldn’t be able to take it online, or at the school.

@lostaccount Yes, but the fact still remains that students need to aim for the most rigorous course schedule available at their high school. If the top student took 15 APs, you’ll definitely be at a severe disadvantage if you took only 6-8. Schools that have done away with APs entirely are mostly elite private high schools offering rigorous courses where students often take and score well on AP exams anyway.