How many Honors courses in one semester?

1. Is there a limit on the number of Honors courses one can take in a semester, particularly the first semester?
  2. Are incoming freshmen who have been accepted into the Honors program generally able to sign up for Honors sections at their NSC? In more than one class?
  3. If there is not a limit, is it feasible to take 3-4 Honors courses in one semester, or would that be asking for trouble?

My S just finished his first semester in the Honors program. He took two classes and felt it was manageable. I’m not sure I would recommend taking courses like Physics or Math as Honors, but you certainly can take others. I don’t think there is a limit a my son was able to sign up for Honors classes at the NSC.

Honors classes are not necessary harder, but the classed tend to me smaller and more focused. If your are an engineering student, I recommend taking ENGR 111 and 112 as Honors. You’ll have a better chance of getting group members that will work hard.

My son has managed 3 honors courses every semester for the last 5 semesters, he still has a 4.0 so it is doable. Ironically he accidentally signed up for Math Honors(read with Mom’s ‘are you crazy’ voice?!)…that too is doable, although it wasn’t his intention but nothing else ‘fit’ his schedule & it involved an additional mandatory programming course which he actually enjoyed. He tried several semesters for 4 courses, but they have never worked out for him either not available or scheduling conflicts. One of his latest courses (for example) his roommate took regular - same instructor - the difference was more extra credit options & a curve for regular - no curve for honors. So getting an A involved lesser degree of mastery, than an A in honors for that particular class (every course is different). Be prepared to study to do well & have enough time for extra projects.

Thank you both for the input!

If you are an engineering or math major and in honors take Math 151, 152, 251/253 honors classes with Dr. Yasskin. He is a great professor who really cares about his students. Honors classes are not really harder as they are more work. They are worth it though as you actually get to meet the professors and you will be surrounded by peers who want to learn

As opposed to the other students who don’t want to learn? A pretty cynical view of students who did not choose honors.

Yep you completely hit the nail on the head on that one… That is not what I meant by that at all. The smartest student I have met at TAMU wasn’t in honors, but that being said I have never met a student in honors that was in college just to party and didn’t care about their education.

And I have never met an A&M engineering student who was a student in engineering for very long who “was in college just to party and didn’t care about their education.” Honors or not.

As an engineering major with a high-credit-hours minor and another interest that requires a specific time slot a few times a week, my son has had a difficult time registering for more than one or two honors courses per semester on average.

It was easy for him to load up on honors courses during freshman year. Many of the courses that students take in their freshman year come with an Honors option. But after freshman year, my son found that most engineering courses did not come in an honors version, nor did most of the courses that were required for his minor.

And so, between the limited number of honors courses offered and the limited time slots left in his schedule after registering for his required courses, he found that he could often only register for 1 or 2 “straight-up” honors courses each semester for much of his degree. No matter – even with those restrictions, one can easily complete the honors requirements. But as to your question – is there any limit? – you may find that you’re limited by what is offered and when it’s offered.

Of course, there’s always the option to contract for honors credit (Honors Course Contracts) or do research for honors credit (Honors Independent Study). But as for “straight-up” honors courses that are offered on the TAMU Class Schedule, you may find that you are quite limited as you progress in your degree.

Thank you for that input! I was wondering if that would be the case.

You’re welcome, @bctnin1059.

For what it’s worth, it is my son’s opinion that there’s no reason to shy away from Math Honors or Physics Honors either. Those courses can be challenging with or without the honors distinction. There are whole threads on the difficulty of Physics 218. But it is my son’s opinion that the actual material isn’t any more difficult in the honors versions of those courses than it is in the non-honors versions. The workload MAY be higher in honors. But the material is just as challenging either way. It is possible that the honors sections MAY have higher grading curves, given that all the participants in those sections are students who qualified for and elected Honors. (Yes, there will be plenty of “honors-qualified” students in the non-honors courses, too, either because they decided to forgo honors altogether, or they decided to forgo Honors Physics or Math. But if you choose to take the Honors section, 100% of your classmates will be Honors students and your class curve MAY therefore be higher. In my son’s section of one of those honors classes, only 2 students were awarded A’s – for example.)

Anyway, my point is, if you’re really into taking Honors classes, in our opinions, there’s no need to shy away from honors in any particular subject.

Wishing you the best!

Thanks again!

I’m actually a parent, but my D is a prospective student and is interested in the Honors program.

Oh! Haha. Okay! Well, best of luck to you, too! :slight_smile:

Agree with SimpleLife, there are far more options in the ‘early years’ for everyone. Mine has been able to manipulate some of his other activities to accommodate his courses (change of meeting times for example- but that is due to being in leadership). He is also in Mays, which does have several honors course options due to the Business Honors major ( I believe it is the only honors major at TAMU- unless someone knows of another?). IF you are in an honors program, be sure to check the requirements early.

One thing to note, taking honors courses is not the same thing as graduating with honors -those are based on GPA, there is no requirement to take ANY honors courses (nor to be in an honors program) to graduate with latin honors. There are just 3 firm numerical GPA number ranges that must be met upon graduation. http://graduation.tamu.edu/honors.html

One note on the honors courses - you do NOT have to be in an honors program to take an honors course. You DO have to qualify to take them, freshmen first semester by rank/ score after that by GPA. So what you get is students who are either in an honors program or alternatively above a certain GPA. So if your student doesn’t get into an honors program they can still take the courses. http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu/Home

Right, thanks!

^^ Hi there, @AGmomx2. You made a good distinction in your last paragraph there. Right-o! I should have said “100% of your classmates will be honors-qualified” NOT “in Honors.” Good point.