How many scholarships can I get..

<p>For being 50% Hispanic and 50% German and Irish. I have a 3.8 and 4.25 GPA and took 8 AP's and 5 Honors by the time I graduate. For being only half Hispanic, am I still legible of receiving Hipanic scholarships-- and if so, good ones?</p>

<p>I’m also half Hispanic, half German, and I was eligible for many Hispanic scholarships. [However, I noticed that a great many were geared towards Mexican-Americans, which I’m not, so it cut out a TON of scholarships.] As for which, that depends on which you apply for! Check out the Hispanic College Fund. There are loads of sites all over that list possible scholarships.</p>

<p>Thank you! I’m Mexican-American I guess you can say? My mom’s entire family is from Mexico. My dad’s entire family is from Germany…</p>

<p>Also, I’m barely going to be a senior. Should I wait to apply for these scholarships till next year?</p>

<p>You stated on another thread that you did well on the PSAT, did you qualify for NHRP? If so, see the NHRP scholarship thread for many opportunities.</p>

<p>While you likely qualify for most if not all Hispanic scholarships, be aware that many also look for financial need as a factor.</p>

<p>If you haven’t already, go the the START HERE sticky thread, it has links to scholarship and other information.</p>

<p>Each scholarship has their own timeline, you need to check their websites for application dates.</p>

<p>My parents make about 75,000 a year combined. But by the end of next year my dad will get a new job and they’ll make 100,000 a year combined, so I don’t know.</p>

<p>Your FA as a fr will be based on the year 2010. I’m not sure how scholarships determine financial need, some likely use FAFSA, while others may use their own methodologies. Perhaps other members with some experience could chime in here.</p>

<p>Be aware that at 100k/yr income, you will be on the bubble as far as need based FA and should definitely run both FAFSA and Profile calculators to get some idea of your status. It’s too hard just to say from income, as other factors come into play such as, home equity (Profile only), investments, number in family, etc.</p>

<p>Also keep in mind that your FAFSA EFC only applies to Federal funds. Distribution of Institutional funds (those of each college) usually use the Profile which collects additional information. And with the Profile, while the same information goes to all schools, each school uses their own FA policies and calculations to determine your need. So you may have a wide range in what you are expected to pay depending on what schools accept you.</p>

<p>Well the school I am looking at is over 50k a year but their FA is very very generous and almost every student gets scholarships and aid.</p>

<p>Most privates are 50k and over these days. To elaborate my point, let me give you a personal example from my experience. </p>

<p>As a fr applicant, the year before the new FA policies for mid to upper income families by HYPS, D1 received zero FA from WUSTL, Brown, Amherst and Rice, all schools that are very generous and meet 100% of need. At the same time she received about 15k/yr in grant and WS FA from HYP. As a soph transfer, after the new FA policies, she again got zero FA from Amherst, Brown and Dartmouth, but about 25k/yr from Y. So, my point is that even within the very generous schools, FA can vary greatly.</p>

<p>At 75k, you are likely to get some FA at generous schools, but IMO, 100k is reaching the limit for non-HYPS schools. In the years I described, our income was slightly under 100k but with substantial assets. Again, I can’t emphasize enough that you absolutely need to run the calculators, particularly for individual schools if they’re available, as the most anyone here can do is give you generalizations. And beyond EFC, you need to know how much your parents are willing and able to pay for college.</p>

<p>I have been asking my dad to do that but he’s been busy. So far my parents make 73k but my dad just graduated from getting a higher degree so now he can get a new job and will rise it to 96k a year combined. They can prob contribute with the 73k, about 2k because we are very tight with money. With the 96k, probably about 5k.</p>

<p>OK, I looked at your recent Chances thread and together with the information from this thread will give you some of my thoughts, FWIW.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Your grades look, while no spectacular, definitely competitive for selective schools. </p></li>
<li><p>Your schedule looks demanding, but that is relative to what your school offers, so if your GC will mark that you took the Most rigorous coursework, that would be helpful.</p></li>
<li><p>The most under represented Hispanics are MA, so that is in your favor.</p></li>
<li><p>While you don’t have results yet, your standardized testing appears to be low for selective schools. How much leeway adcoms might give you on test scores IMO depends on several factors, see this thread for some comments:</p></li>
</ol>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<ol>
<li><p>Assuming that your family does not have savings to use for college and only a few thousand from current earnings, you need to be very careful about the college list that you construct. You need not only admissions safety, match and reach schools, but also financial ones. You need to be particularly careful about need based FA since your family income is likely to rise significantly in the year used to calculate your jr year (assuming your father gets a higher paying job starting in 2012), and could be close to reaching FA limits at most schools.</p></li>
<li><p>I would look at outside scholarships for Hispanic students, but be aware of the need factor. Also look for institutional merit scholarships for Hispanics where it looks like you would be in the tip top of the applicant pool. Have some selective need only schools, but be sure they are going to be affordable past fr year.</p></li>
<li><p>I would not advise applying ED to any school since you are in the position where you need to be able to compare FA offers.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I’m not applying to any Ivy schools and I am taking Laws&Ethics over the summer so I can take AP Physics instead of World Religions. The most prestigious school I’m looking at is George Washington and by the end of my senior year I would have taken 8 AP and 5 Honors. My school only offers 11 AP (1 is a language, 1 is a sophomore class, and AP Cal BC but I’m taking AB). I’m HOPING of getting a 27+ on my ACT. Which the average is around 27-30 so I’m hoping for around there. I’m 8/376 in my class and I’m a leader in 3 of my EC’s.</p>

<p>A couple more points. </p>

<p>Have you taken any SAT IIs yet? They’ll be needed for many schools unless you submit the ACT. </p>

<p>In the above post, I had mistakenly read your Chances thread as GT, now GWU! So, my comments tend to be considering a more selective school. This is positive for you in the admissions sense, but not necessarily for FA.</p>

<p>ha, I just x-posted with you!</p>

<p>I wanted to go to GT last year but I went to visit colleges in DC and I did not like it. I prefered GWU and AU over GT beceause it was too intimidating and I just did not like what I saw (which is surprising because GT is a very selective and good school). I took the ACT w/ writing so if I did good, I wont need to take any SAT II’s. But I MIGHT take the SAT US History in Oct because I took AP History last year. </p>

<p>I do know that GWU has very very very good FA for their students and almost every student gets scholarships. So, I’m hoping with my grades and my dedication to the school, I can get a Presidential Scholarship or something :P. I’m afraid that if I do not apply ED then my chances will fall (since the school decreased admission rate). That is why I’m hoping I could get many Hispanic scholarships because my mom’s side is entirely Mexican.</p>

<p>I don’t know what x-posted means lol.</p>

<p>It just means that we posted at about the same time, so when I was writing my message I hadn’t read what you’d just posted.</p>

<p>Oh, haha. 10 char</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I can’t tell if you’re talking about need based or merit scholarships, or both. If need based:</p>

<p>[Need-Based</a> Assistance - The George Washington University](<a href=“http://www.gwu.edu/apply/undergraduateadmissions/payingforcollege/needbasedassistance]Need-Based”>http://www.gwu.edu/apply/undergraduateadmissions/payingforcollege/needbasedassistance)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So, a little more than half of the students at GWU qualify for ANY FA. And of those, a little more than half get ANY scholarship/grant money. So that means almost half of the kids getting FA are receiving ONLY loans and WS; and the other more than half are getting SOME grants, could be a little or could be a lot, it depends on individual circumstances. </p>

<p>I’m going to say this one last time, GWU is not as generous with FA as many other highly selective schools; I have found nowhere on their website where they even state that they meet full need. The largest factor in determining FA is income, as your family income nears 100k, you are on the bubble for having no calculated need at the vast majority of colleges. Families making 100k/yr are in the top 20% of earners in the US. You need to be very careful when reading about schools (not just talking about GWU here) giving students lots of FA–do those students state their financial situation, what was their family income??</p>

<p>The amount of the Presidential merit scholarship is not stated on the GWU website, this thread seems to show a top end of 20k/yr:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/george-washington-university/880487-presidential-scholarships.html?highlight=presidential[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/george-washington-university/880487-presidential-scholarships.html?highlight=presidential&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, a school doesn’t necessarily have an incentive to award large merit scholarships to ED applicants since they have already committed to attending.</p>

<p>I know this isn’t what you want to hear, and I will cease now because I have explained all I have to say about FA, merit, etc.</p>