How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>Yea, I enjoy hearing about glamorous lives others live, but prefer a low key, quiet life for myself and loved ones whenever possible. Maybe I was born an “old fogey”? At least I married a guy who is happy with a calm, contented life. It works for us. ;)</p>

<p>Has has been very fortunate to have had one employer (different offices) and all in the state of Hawaii, and on the island of Oahu for his entire 45 year career. He switched positions and had to learn a ton on the job. Only now that he’s no longer working has he realized how unusual it was that he was allowed to attend regular conferences and training to keep his skills as sharp and current as possible for much of his career. </p>

<p>He had also not realized how fortunate he was taking his medical benefits into retirement and lasting his lifetime and for my lifetime as well. ;)</p>

<p>I’ve been enjoying the Aging in America series by NBR. Home health care was mentioned. That would be the path to go for my family.</p>

<p>I’ve been practicing retiring one the last few days. I can see after a few days I need to go back to work. :D</p>

<p>DrGoogle, I have planned to retire effective the end of this year. It’s a tad early, but the numbers seem to back it up. </p>

<p>Now that I’ve decided on the date, I find that work is starting to feel in the way. I have so many interests and hobbies, I just can’t wait to get to them fully, instead of at night between home chores. </p>

<p>Genealogy, photography, church work. Important stuff! </p>

<p>Last year, retirement was on my brain and my husband too. We decided to retire as soon as we can. I too couldn’t wait until retirement. So we decide to practice this year, take a few days off here and there to test out the water. Today is the first day, I felt bored. Napping in between watching cnbc and mad money. Maybe if I have more things to do I will be less bored.</p>

<p>Dr. Google - I refer you back to [post</a> 2211](<a href=“How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1) - #2212 by notrichenough - Parent Cafe - College Confidential Forums”>How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1) - #2212 by notrichenough - Parent Cafe - College Confidential Forums)
:D</p>

<p>notrich, :D</p>

<p>“I’ve been practicing retiring one the last few days. I can see after a few days I need to go back to work”</p>

<p>I’ve had the last month off. Did that by working the first two weeks of July, and the last few weeks of August. Now that my time off is almost over, first of all I’m pretty grouchy about the thought of going back to work (because it usually means major sleep loss), and wondering what I got accomplished over the last month. Can’t think of much, though I did enjoy it. I wonder if that is what I’ll do when I fully retire. Get very little done, but be happy. I am also much tanner and more fit, but that probably won’t last long.</p>

<p>Major sleep loss is the biggest motivating factor to early retirement for my husband and I.
My husband and I had to wait for some packages delivered and also my husband was working at home, so we didn’t get to do much except we went out for lunch.</p>

<p>Starting in October, I hope to be working only 3 days a week. I’ve got plenty to do around the house which I’ve neglected plus some other odds and ends. I call this a trial retirement for the next 1.5 years. If it works out ok, I’m out for good.</p>

<p>Trial retirement sounds like a better term. NBR last episode about Aging in America had some nice stories about retirees planning for travel, boomers are the biggest consumers of luxury travel. I’m looking forward to that but I think I will miss the comfort of home.</p>

<p>I’ve tried to do the big trips before I retire while I still have the income and health. I only have 1 more big trip left on my bucket list. After that, it will be less expensive, shorter trips.</p>

<p>DocT, I’m planning the same thing. One 3 weeks next year and one 4 weeks the following year then I retire. It’s easier to spend the money while you still working.</p>

<p>DrG -working at home is working. No goals? exercise, organize? how about adding a Coursera course? It would take a few weeks if not a month of laying around and recovering from tiredness for me to feel grounded. The fun part of travel is it happens when you are bored at home them you come home and enjoy home, too.</p>

<p>I plan to go on a lot of big trips after I retire. Seems like the perfect time, because what else do you HAVE to do? As long as you aren’t making big debt payments and can keep within your budget, why not? There’s got to be some place where you can rent an apt for a couple of weeks or a month for cheap. I’m not much on long term camping, but hiking in Switzerland, going hut to hut sounds really fun. That’s pretty inexpensive. As long as you don’t have to travel in style and stay at expensive hotels, seems like you could do it on a budget. Some of those last minute cruises are SOOO cheap. Sometimes I’ve seen some for less than $600, 21 days, all your food and lodging.</p>

<p>I have a friend, still working, who takes vacations using whatever cruise is cheapest at the last minute. I couldn’t do it; I want to know where I’m going and when. </p>

<p>Maybe hiking in Switzerland is inexpensive, but if so, then it’s the only inexpensive thing there. Beautiful country though. </p>

<p>The trips we’ve taken over the last 3 - 4 years are very expensive and the one that I have left will also be very pricey. These aren’t the trips I want to take without income coming in. I have a lot of goals but I also have a lot of chores to take care of.</p>

<p>Rocky, my husband was working, I was vegging out. :smiley:
My plan for travelling is to follow Rick Steves for Europe then after that Huell Howser for local trips.</p>

<p>I went on the Rick Steves Heart of Italy trip. It was so fantastic. My friend didn’t go on an actual tour, but followed what one of his tours did on her own, with her husband. Went to the same places, same hotels, same sights. Loved it.</p>

<p>I could do a last minute cruise, no problem. Right now, if one can leave within the next two weeks, there is an 8 night Caribbean cruise for $169, a 13 night Panama Canal for $498, and an 18 night South America cruise for $799. Travel doesn’t have to be expensive, if you’re flexible.</p>

<p>Of course, that doesn’t include your overpriced wine on the cruise boat.</p>

<p>It depends on where you go and what you do.</p>