How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>

What an odd coincidence. Mine is also in the financial district in a 3 bedroom with two roommates with a rent similar to that. However he’s looking at NJ when this lease expires in April.</p>

<p>Well, he must not be my kids roommate, because their lease expires in August. They just renewed for another year. It seems like a pretty good deal to be so well located. And the apartment is really nice, though I’m sure they’ve trashed it!</p>

<p>A while back there was a discussion on airbnb (internet room rental). Coincidentally that was one of the themes of a podcast I listened to during my walk yesterday. - <a href=“http://freakonomics.com/2014/09/04/regulate-this-a-new-Freakonomics-radio-podcast/”>http://freakonomics.com/2014/09/04/regulate-this-a-new-Freakonomics-radio-podcast/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>PS - I just LOVE the Feakonmonics podcasts, loosely related to premise of book of same name. Each podcast picks a topic, meanders a lot and usually concludes without total answers. But interesting stuff. I run them off off my cellphone. (I used to wear earbuds while I walked. Now I just turn up the volume and put my cellphone in my pocket.) </p>

<p>colo,
Wall Street Journal had an article on renting on airbnb.</p>

<p>Someone up thread wrote I need my spouse to complete a form for single life annuity, I finally decided to pick that option and I have to upgrade 2 forms, marriage certificate and Spousal consent.
My husband and I talked greatly about this subject and decided this is the best option since it’s a very small amount of our retirement income. Less than 10% so we looked at the scenario where one is alive vs. the other and made sure there’s enough income to cover household expense without dipping into savings and this turns out to be the best option. Best yet, I get to take it out without tax withholding.</p>

<p>I also had a luncheon with somebody I used to work with and he moved since he last worked with so he never did receive any information. I scanned and emailed the general portion of my package so he can log online and made decision. It sounds with this pension he could retire early as in 7 more years vs. longer. </p>

<p>I don’t know, it seems a bit cheesy to me to inherit money from one’s own parents and yet feel no obligation to leave any inheritance for one’s own children.</p>

<p>I like been cheesy.
:smiley: </p>

<p>But seriously, we never thought we receive anything, we didn’t plan our life with it. Parents did know how much they have either. But I think we told them to spend their money.
I’ve recently told my sister to spend money and don’t think about leaving the nephews and nieces any money either. She finally decided to use her money to enjoy her life.
Don’t forget spending money and wasting money is two different things.</p>

<p>It’s not all that cheesy if the a lot has been spent on college education… </p>

<p>Here is an interesting investment article on making your money last through retirement: <a href=“Retirees, The S&P 500 And Cash Are All You Need | Seeking Alpha”>Retirees, The S&P 500 And Cash Are All You Need | Seeking Alpha;

<p>I don’t get what the article is about? It’s not even finish. Explanation please.</p>

<p>The article is about beating inflation and having a relatively safe portfolio by having 3 years worth of cash and the rest in just in the s&p</p>

<p>Doct, I seem to be missing page 2 that’s why.</p>

<p>I wonder, if you had retired in 1990 in japan and decided to have 3 years of cash with the remainder in Nikkei 225, how would that have worked out?</p>

<p>Eta: <a href=“NIKKEI 225 Index (Japan) Yearly Stock Returns”>http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_781.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Diversification might not knock the ball out of the park, but it beats striking out. </p>

<p>Now there’s a loaded question^^</p>

<p>Page two seems to require you to register/sign in. Page one seems pretty skimpy on facts…</p>

<p>Immediately after the 2009 crash, wsj wrote that diversification didn’t mean you didn’t loose money, iirc bonds lost 20% and stocks lost 40%.</p>

<p>Nobody said you’d never lose money. Ask people whose net worth was all in their employer’s stock how it was after their employer Enron failed, and if they wish they had been more diversified. The S&P 500 is a small subset of equities (500> 1, but still small number); better to own Total Stock Market, some International stocks, some bonds, maybe some REITS (I don’t), etc.</p>

<p>@lxnayBob, I am right there with you, Total Stock Market, minimal Large Cap International, bonds and cash, no REITS.</p>

<p>H’s parents have signed their house over to their kids - I think it is so the leave ‘something’ to them. I think they will live beyond the 5 year mark if they either one need nursing home - but I think we (one of our families) would take care of them at home if possible - if not dealing with violent dementia. Both are of sound mind, and mid-80’s. One DIL is already retired, another is a homemaker and was caretaker of her mother who has died last year - who didn’t live at her home but was a full time job.</p>

<p>MIL had a small inheritance. FIL had a bachelor brother that left some money to each of his siblings. So those trickles of money has helped them with some necessary home repairs and improvements. They used every bit of money educating four through college. MIL has teacher’s retirement.</p>

<p>My parents left an estate which we all appreciated (only my one brother had no need since he has done very well for himself and has no children). After this year, I will have the only one with kids still in college (current freshman and junior).</p>

<p>If our kids are launched well, it would be nice to have something financially left for them, but not required. Everyone’s hope is that the next generation has more financial security…</p>