How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>"‘What do YOU do to keep your brain healthy?’ was the question."</p>

<p>Ah. Since you didn’t preface your answer with that question, I didn’t realize that was what you were answering. I thought you were quoting yet another study with all the answers. I wouldn’t criticize someones methods as far as what they, in particular, do.</p>

<p>Guess I’d better check out that SD/SB thread. For my brain health.</p>

<p>Its closed. The lecture about how/why we are just simpletons and cannot understand the SD/SB lifestyle is over.</p>

<p>A gratuitous shot was taken at DrGoogle on that thread by the lecturer. My response didn’t make it before the thread was closed. </p>

<p>Bob, I don’t worry about any shot. I find that thread entertaining.</p>

<p>Just for information sake, what is SD/ SB? All I can come up with is two cities in CA</p>

<p>It was a thread about Sugar Daddies and Sugar Babes: <a href=“How Sugar Daddies Are Financing College Education - Parents Forum - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1687669-how-sugar-daddies-are-financing-college-education-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Play a musical instrument. It exercises the brain and the body in beneficial ways.</p>

<p>I plan on playing piano. Perhaps getting lessons from the local community college.</p>

<p>Yes for the reasons mentioned, not a good idea to have a house go to beneficiaries’ names until deceased. However in this case, the house is not worth much, none of us are getting divorced, since it is considered an ‘inheritance’ someone would have trouble getting into that issue. We have no benefit until they pass. I would rather not stir the pot because what is done is done. H’s parents think they did the right thing. It is their house. The only thing we could have said was to not do it - or extreme exclude H’s name? I don’t think it will be messy where they are, but as I said I wouldn’t recommend doing this for many reasons. Some places you might incur a tax bill from ‘gain’ in value of home from time it was deeded over…</p>

<p>Keeping a brain active and well fed is good. However there obviously are genetic components going on - so getting on the right medicine with decline etc.</p>

<p>Music appreciation counts too. Keep active, mind and body!</p>

<p>The “problem” with piano is that it is by nature a solitary instrument. It’s more fun to play an instrument that will let you play with other people in a group.</p>

<p>My husband plays guitar, may be we do a duo. I took guitar class before but I think I rather play piano. But the neighbors might complain, I know it won’t be good.</p>

<p>If they complain, you can always ask if they’d prefer if you learn how to play the bagpipe. Or the oboe. Or the violin. It could be worse.</p>

<p>bus, exactly why I stayed away from those instruments. They might not be good neighbors if I do play those instruments.</p>

<p>You can always put a mute on a violin.</p>

<p>Bagpipes… not so much.</p>

<p>Interesting about mute on violin. Don’t you want to hear how it sound?</p>

<p>Maybe when you’re learning, it sounds so bad even you don’t want to hear yourself.</p>

<p>Lol, I see now.</p>

<p>The mute just makes it quieter. In case you care about bothering the neighbors. :)</p>

<p>Do other countries seriousy allow you to retire there and have access to free medical care? We had a nurse from Scotland who wanted to retire back home and she paid into a fund back there every year to insure her health coverage when she went back.</p>

<p>@VaBluebird, no, it’s not that easy. Different countries have different criteria, but they are not easy to meet. Pretty much correlated to the quality of their safety net </p>