How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>I’ve usually stayed at American hotels. My kids like King size bed that American hotels usually have. But we’re all proficient in French, one had spent 4 weeks in Paris alone. I’ll look into Moorea.</p>

<p>Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County. Just passed a beautiful vineyard. :)</p>

<p>bus, I thought grapes from the dry region is better than the wet region. That’s what I’ve read on WSJ, it’s going to be a great year for California wine this year.</p>

<p>"I know a couple of words in French. No, croissant, and chocolate. What more do you need?</p>

<p>I’m sure they speak English at those high priced hotels. Was it worth it?"</p>

<p>Most people do not speak English particularly well. Most of the tourists were French. We only met one couple who were from the US. The food was French and we had no idea what we were eating since none of the people serving spoke English. The rooms were bungalows over the water and cost approximately $900 a day. We were there for 5 days last summer on our way back from Australia and New Zealand. Yes it was worth it - very beautiful and relaxing. Our last night there, I sat outside on the deck for 4 hours just listening to the waves crashing on the other side of the lagoon. If you’re an outdoor type of person, you’ll be ok but there are really no cities. Tahiti is about 1/2 an hour away by boat but I thought Papeete was a dump - not at all impressed with Tahiti. </p>

<p>Interestingly, their money is in francs while France is now obviously in Euros.</p>

<p>Interesting. Maybe Moorea would be good for DrGoogle, with her knowledge of French, but not so much for us. I’m thinking maybe we’ll just go to Maui. A lot cheaper (though I found an overwater bungalow in Moorea for half that price). I can’t seem to find an island in the South Pacific to hang out at, that would be worth it. We want to do more than just relax in a bungalow, and it’s a long ways to go for less than a week. </p>

<p>And dstark, I have many fine bottles of wine available to me at a lovely establishment, just five minutes away, from many countries. It’s called QFC.</p>

<p>@dstark

</p>

<p>I have never heard of this exemption. Could you elaborate? How long does one have to complete the process and is there a limit to how extensive the remodel/upgrade can be?</p>

<p>We did a major remodel which took about 18 months from the time the permit was stamped until we move into the new structure. We continued to work on the home - things like completing tile work, landscaping etc - and never notified the county of completion. We continued to pay the original property tax for several years and then one year we simply received the new assessment. Basically the county added about 45% to the original value.</p>

<p>Prop 13 has been a godsend to homeowners. However, attempts to erode the protections come around more and more frequently.</p>

<p>Dietz199, I would call your assessors office. May have been a county thing. Our remodel was completed in 5 months. 18 months sounds way too long a period. I dont remember. </p>

<p>Prop 13 for residences is not going to be changed. A politician will be done in Cal if they screw with homeowners.</p>

<p>On primary residence, some states ‘discount’ senior property tax amount - as @HImom said - they have reduced amount because H is over 65, and will pay less when she is over 65. My brother also has this in Alaska. In-laws in WI also have some kind of a senior reduced rate for their residence.</p>

<p>I heard on public radio this past week that Japan raised their sales tax from 5% to 8% - yikes - so of course consumer spending is going to shift dramatically for a bit. They should have phased it in, 1% a year - would have less of a shake up to their economy IMHO.</p>

<p>@anxiousmom I feel for your property taxes (which yours are ‘low’ to some even higher priced property tax areas). We pay about $6000 less a year property tax than you for equivalent priced home (AL) however we pay sales tax on everything including food.</p>

<p>We do have ‘tag tax’ in AL - based on car value, so it shrinks down to almost nothing. Not a major consideration.</p>

<p>One does get use to the ins and outs of various state advantages and disadvantages - before a ‘drastic move’, consider over time and trial before jumping into another state and finding out your quality of life would have been better if you didn’t make the move. Or also before you buy an expensive camper (motor home), second home, buy into a vacation club, etc.</p>

<p>I am thinking positively about having a ‘negative’ bone scan on Wednesday. The pain has been in unusual area of my hip (sort of more along my pelvis in the back). Neither of my parents had hip issues. I have a very holy priest saying extra prayers for me, which gives me some comfort. Also many friends. Positive energy from many directions. Veteran’s Day 2014 is the 5 year mark from my first chemo treatment. I hope to continue to be a ‘long term’ survivor, being in the good 50% stats.</p>

<p>I have 2 homes worth roughly the same. I pay $7800 in property taxes on my primary residence and $2650 for my vacation home. Unfortunately, the taxes I pay on my primary residence are much lower than any town in the area.</p>

<p>SOSConcern, sending you some positive thoughts and good wishes.</p>

<p>Agree with dstark (post #3566) about CA politics - much more likely that property taxes will be changed for businesses than residents. As a longtime homeowner, I am thankful!</p>

<p>@JEM‌ </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think it was because he loved what he did. Someone paid him to get up in the morning and discover mysteries of the universe. So, instead of work grinding him down (as it does for many), it fulfilled him. That is what I have tried to do for myself (with success). In addition, he had autonomy over what he worked on and to a large extent when and how he worked (though he worked all the time).</p>

<p>@DocT‌, universities have politics too, though I suspect it takes up a lot less time than corporate politics.</p>

<p>H also loved his job, which is why he worked 45 years. It’s great being paid to do what you love–best of all worlds and keeps your brain cells active. ;). My dad is 90 and continues to work as an attorney because he loves it. Why not?</p>

<p>DH likes some aspects of his job. But it’s stressful. I know he is jealous of friends same age (59) that have been able to retire. But… they have annuity pension (more predictable income) AND retiree health benefits to tide them over to 65. </p>

<p>My dad and H have pensions and insurance but wanted to keep working while it was still enjoyable. H lasted until he was 70.5. Dad is beyond him by nearly 2 decades and still working happily. </p>

<p>HI - I don’t blame them for continuing while the work is fun! That’s a happy story :wink: </p>

<p>I think there are many men (and maybe some women) that dream about retiring, but then miss some of the structure, the productivity, the ‘hero worship’ they may get at the workplace. Having the health insurance covered until Medicare kicks in, and the other cash flow (w/o the extra years of building up more retirement $$) are two hurdles for many of us. H has been dressing more casually to work - only dresses up more when customers are in which is his way of having more job satisfaction. D was surprised and asked him about it when she was home for school break…</p>

<p>The new retiree that we bumped into this weekend went a few months before his planned date due to a health scare with his wife. She recovered, but it was a good reminder to enjoy good health. I get that.</p>

<p>The fun tidbit is that he keeps in touch with other recent retirees via a monthly breakfast ritual. That sounded like a neat idea. </p>

<p>Yes, H and I go to lunch monthly with retirees from H’s workplace. It’s a nice way for him to stay connected. </p>

<p>We’ve also started to get together and even travel with H’s HS classmates. We went to Niagara Falls and DC with them this year. We brought BIL and all had a great time. </p>

<p>H’s company has been bought and sold several times - so one guy arranges a lunch from the ‘former’ employees (and I am one of them too) - about every month or so. H is the only one out of a group of about 30 that come to the lunches that is still there working - some are retired, and others work elsewhere. H has a lot of technical expertise in so many areas, that he has the respect of everyone up the chain, from plant manager to CEO (corporate is in another state). </p>