How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<br>

<br>

<p>That happened a few decades ago. is it still happening or are there now safeguards in place? My BIL worked a union job for over 20 years for a steel company that promised a pension, but it wasnt protected in any way. the company misused it and the money is gone. now he is totally screwed and cant ever retire. and he has to work in some low-pay unskilled job.</p>

<p>I hope that companies now are required to put pension funds into accts that the company cant use nor can they go towards debts if the company goes belly-up.</p>

<p>If someone has accrued a pension benefit, it cannot be taken away. However, a pension plan can be frozen, so no one gets any additional benefit going forward. That’s the hardship – that in your later years, you’re not earning any more pension benefit, so you need to save in your 401(k). </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>do you mean no more payouts? or what? </p>

<p>if no more payouts
would that be because the money is gone? misused? what?</p>

<p>can you contribute to an IRA after retirement? </p>

<p>No, I don’t think so, you can convert your IRA to Roth IRA but not contribution.</p>

<p>Momofthee, yes, I am afraid too, because so much no longer under our control I can’t count on just taking up the slack and finding work as I get older.</p>

<p>My DH’s family has a very bad history in terms of old age living. Many lived hand to mouth and when hit with one disaster, it was over. While younger, they could always take a second job, borrow from mom, take money out of some niche or other and get by. Move in with someone temporarily while recovering from a financial hit, while looking for cheap digs. One isn’t ask quick on one’s feet at older ages, and options for bail out and bunking with friends start disappearing. </p>

<p>My one son and I worked the soup kitchen and food pantry around here for a few years, and I was surprised to find a lot of people going there for food as they did not have any extra money at all, and many were just waiting to lose their homes because they could not pay rent or mortgage. One elderly woman, upon seeing a book in my hand, gave me her address to sell me books. She lived in a house, that was once nice, but now tumbledown with overgrown yard and boxes of books and junk in the garage which I found out were a perpetual garage sale. She picks up free and low cost books and then solicits people to come buy for a couple of bucks. She figures she sells a dozen a week to get twenty bucks clear. She’s underwater in her home as she borrowed against it to live and is just waiting for foreclosure sale. I don’t know what happens to people like this.</p>

<p>One very wise, but sobering, thing our financial planner told us was that most people find they don’t spend as much as they think on expendable things. This makes it hard to cut back, because what you buy is very often what you believe you need, whether you live like a pauper, or just a middle class person.The way you live before retirement is about the same way you should plan to live afterwards. And this takes a lot more money than most of us think.</p>

<p>It’s very easy to say, “Well, you could cut out going out to dinner once a week,” but in practice, if this is something that helps your quality of life, it’s very hard to give up. We don’t become different, more ascetic people when we retire, so whenever possible, we need to recognize this and plan accordingly.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids:</p>

<p>Freezing a pension means no one earns more benefits. People get what they earned up until the freeze. They can’t take away what you have already earned, but they can take away what you’ll earn in the future.</p>

<p>I think the important thing is to have options. I retired three years ago. I have been able to do some part time work. I started collecting my pension at age 60. At 62, I added my very small social security check ($150
teachers don’t contribute in CT, and any benefit is reduced by 2/3). At age 65 or 66, I might tap into a small TSA that I have. But I might wait in that as well. At age 70, I will be required to take the minimum draw on that TSA, as well as a second one I also have. </p>

<p>The reality is, we were contributing the maximum to our retirement accounts for years
plus all the other deductions related to work (union dues, TSA contributions, required pension contributions, health insurance, etc). My actual take home pay is higher than my last years of work. </p>

<p>My husband is in a similar situation. Maximum contributions to his 401K. And he also has split up some of his retirement investments. His SS will be the max. I never can collect off of his earnings.</p>

<p>Not having a mortgage saves us about $16,000 a year
which is not chump change.</p>

<p>A lot.</p>

<p>Never.</p>

1 Like

<p><<<
It’s very easy to say, “Well, you could cut out going out to dinner once a week,” but in practice, if this is something that helps your quality of life, it’s very hard to give up. We don’t become different, more ascetic people when we retire, so whenever possible, we need to recognize this and plan accordingly.
<<<</p>

<p>My mom, who was very thrifty, found that it really wasnt that expensive to eat out more when it is just two people
as long as it is done carefully
she’d use 2for1 coupons, earlybird meals, meals that would have a doggy bag for a later meal, etc. she found that she had less food waste. she also found that as they aged, dad and she only ate 2 meals a day
and maybe a snack in between.</p>

<p>she would still cook big family meals when she had guests (and enjoy the leftovers later), or cook up a big bowl of spaghetti and freeze for later meals.</p>

<p>I agree that you dont get more ascetic as you retire.</p>

<p>@VeryHappy‌
“Freezing a pension means no one earns more benefits. People get what they earned up until the freeze. They can’t take away what you have already earned, but they can take away what you’ll earn in the future.”</p>

<p>that is what I thought. so, I am guessing that there are laws in place NOW that prevents what happened to my BIL. </p>

<p>We have a decent amount saved in retirement accounts, but other than SS that’s what we’re counting on. Our mortgage is paid off, but we plan to use the proceeds from our house to buy something else wherever we retire to. The big question is how much will healthcare cost in retirement, and both of us had parents who lived to 90 and beyond, not necessarily in good health.</p>

<p>At this point, we just don’t know when to actually retire. DH is worried about not having his job, and once he retires there’s no going back, especially if we move.</p>

<p>There are states that are more retirement-friendly
low taxes, low property taxes, don’t tax pensions, etc. </p>

<p><a href=“State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees | Kiplinger”>State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees | Kiplinger;

<p>We’ve been talking about this lately. I don’t know how much we will need, but with pension, 401k, and SS, we should do ok. We work for the same company and have put money aside since we started. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago they informed us that non-union employees will switch from a defined benefit to defined contribution plan in 2016. My husband is in a professional union that, for the time being, is still in the better plan. We both will get retiree medical which will cover us until Medicare kicks in. My fear is that they will take that away. The ACA will be of benefit if that happens. </p>

<p>We will stay in the same area, maybe downsizing if we feel like it. It is not worth it to move away. </p>

<p>I do know people who haven’t put anything aside for retirement and will have to work until they die. Very much a live now attitude that will haunt them when repetitive stress injuries make them stop work with nothing put by to keep them with a roof over their head. </p>

<p>"“Freezing a pension means no one earns more benefits. People get what they earned up until the freeze. They can’t take away what you have already earned, but they can take away what you’ll earn in the future.”</p>

<p>that is what I thought. so, I am guessing that there are laws in place NOW that prevents what happened to my BIL"</p>

<p>So in theory, if I earn the max pension that I can receive and retire at age 60, if I live to 100, they have to continue to pay me that earned pension for 40 years, even if it’s frozen? I wish I could count on that. But what if the company goes bankrupt and ditches their pension plan? That has happened to many in my industry, and then the PBGC takes over (if they aren’t overwhelmed by that point) and gives you a small fraction of what you were expecting. Mismanagement, theft, laws that change, massive stock market fluctuations
anything can happen, and I really don’t feel that a pension is firm.</p>

<p>Then again, I know I’m on the paranoid side. I don’t trust that social security will be available for everyone, and I don’t trust the govt not raid our 401K’s and Roths, which is why we’re diversifying as much as possible.</p>

<p>The pension is only as good as the company. If the company files for bankruptcy then the pension is turned over to the Pension Benefit Guarantee. BiL only got pennies on the dollar of pension value and it significantly affected their retirement planning and college payment planning. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Yes, that is what happened to our BIL
but I thought that companies now have to keep retirement dollars separate so that the above doesnt happen anymore.</p>

<p>Busdriver11, would you please describe some of the steps you’ve taken to diversify? Dh has similar concerns about our current retirement savings. He’s mentioned precious metals and land, among other things, but my concern is liquidity as well as safety. Plus, I’d hate to forget where we put something. </p>

<p>Article from the NYT on when to take SS. Thought this was a good thread to put the link for article. </p>

<p><a href=“Social Security at 62? Let’s Run the Numbers - The New York Times”>Social Security at 62? Let’s Run the Numbers - The New York Times;