How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p><<<</p>

<h2>There are states that are more retirement-friendly…low taxes, low property taxes, don’t tax pensions, etc.</h2>

<p>but you really have to look at the specifics. We’re in Illinois which does not tax pensions; we’re thinking of moving to California which does tax them. So I calculated what our 2013 state taxes would have been had we lived in CA. Much to my surprise, they would have been a bit lower in CA. (CA tax is graduated with broad brackets; IL is flat rate.) Also, I’ve determined that property taxes for the area where we would like to live are a bit lower than our current property tax.
<<<<<</p>

<p>true, but you are comparing two states with high taxes…that just tax things differently. </p>

<p>there are places in Calif that have lower taxes than others, but you have to check everything. Many places in Calif have at least one HOA, sometimes two HOAs (a regional one, and a community one). </p>

<p>I’d like to retire at 62, husband at 61, but we’ll see. I worry about inflation — think of the inflation over 40 years. if that’s how long I live after retirement! The issue is that I would like to have time off from work while I am still young-old, and can enjoy traveling.</p>

<p>do many of you plan on being “semi-retired” for awhile after you retire from your 'regular job"…either doing what you currently do part-time or something entirely different? </p>

<p>I am a teacher in Massachusetts and will have a modest pension when I retire because I took ten years off when I had my children and then went back at very part time before cranking it up to full-time. Our pension is based on the salary of our last three years of teaching. So semi retiring isn’t an option or it will severely impact my pension. In our state you can retire and then come back to work in the public schools at a fraction of the hours you did before but it is very limited.
I have to say though, as much as I love my job, after I retire I don’t think I want to teach someone so much as how to turn on a light switch.
Maybe some other job but I’m gonna be done with that!</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids Partial retirement is probably what I’ll end up doing. Perhaps I’ll do consulting or contract work in my current field or I’ll just get a super low stress job in an environment I enjoy- like a fabric store (so I can get discounts too- and do lots of sewing!). </p>

<p>@SOSConcern‌ I do hope for better meds for Crohn’s and I know they are on the brink of breakthroughs. I’m on a biologic now- Humira. Everybody’s seen the commercials for it. The side effects list is longer than the rest of the commercial. It seemed like it was working really well at first but I’m having more symptoms again now. I’ve been on everything else so far. I don’t think I’ll die from the Crohn’s, but not having eaten vegetables or high fiber anything in 12 years at this point, I don’t think I’ll be healthy in other ways for very long. </p>

<p>I plan to retire in about 20 years, near age 60. This is assuming that I get nothing from Social Security, since I don’t think it’s wise to count on it. It’ll be a nice bonus if I do.</p>

<p>I estimate I need a minimum of 2 million dollars to generate an annual income of 60-80k. I’m not going to count on Social Security being solvent when I retire.</p>

<p>when I wrote "semi retiirement’ i didnt mean working part time in one’s current job. I was really asking if after you all retire from your current jobs, will you do anything to earn any money at all in any way doing any kind of work? that may mean consulting or starting a small business, or working part time in a friend’s or family member’s business. I knew a man who retired and then helped his DIL launch a business out of her garage…which grew to a real business in a real office and he continued to work part time helping her…which boosted his retirement income as well as helped his DIL.</p>

<p>Trust me after owning my own business no way will I start another one in ‘retirement’ Sounds like most of us are assuming no social security, I think I’m just hoping I actually get out of it what I put into it. </p>

<p>My number is $4 million. It’s tough enough getting old, it would be even worse to be worried about money but not be able to do anything about it. </p>

<p>I won’t get a penny of SS when I am $65. My $166 a month SS amount will go directly to Medicare. </p>

<p>Was “$65” intended? :)</p>

<p>I am so bad with money that I have no idea how much money I’d need. In my head not much. My life will be simpler and I don’t see why it would cost much except medical expenses.</p>

<p>.>>>
have no idea how much money I’d need. In my head not much. My life will be simpler and I don’t see why it would cost much except medical expenses.
,<<<</p>

<p>well, where will you be living? will it be paid off? also, there will still be all those other expenses listed on one on the first pages. (copy/pasted below)</p>

<p>you might want to plug in some numbers into each line-item below to get a monthly figure.</p>

<p>Life may be more simple (not going to a job), but many of your expenses will still exist and there will be some new ones. I know that my h had a hard time grasping all the expenses in retirement until I listed them. He thought that without a mortgage, that there wouldnt be many costs. and he wrongly thought that HE wouldnt have many costs (himself). </p>

<p>prop taxes
home insurance
elec, gas, water, sewer
internet
cable/satellite
home repair (inside and out)
home furnishings/appliances repairreplacement
cars (insurance, gas, repairs, replacement, registration)
health costs (co-payments, etc)
Rx’s (yikes…these can be high)
OTC meds and other health aids<br>
dental costs
eyeglasses, exams
food
cleaning products, paper products (TP, paper towels)
clothing
HOA or any services (lawn, etc)
gifts/holidays
entertainment
travel (going to see those grandbabies!)
cell phones
pet expenses…food, vet bills
life insurance</p>

<p>and rent/mortgage if you don’t have a paid-off home</p>

<p>Also, LTC self-insure or insurance premiums. We did make a sample budget of income and spending while we were working, what we thought we’d be making and spending after retiring and how that would change after one of us died. </p>

<p>One thing that changed for us was no longer laying mortgages, IRAs and mortgages. That was huge. Calculating our estimates gave us significant peace of mind. </p>

<p>This is a great article by Fidelity.
“How much do you need to retire”
<a href=“https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/retirement/8X-retirement-savings”>https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/retirement/8X-retirement-savings&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@newjersey17, I think it might be easier to determine retirement needs based on salary than expected expenses, but I think its only virtue is convenience. Additionally, financial services companies have a built-in conflict of interest in their recommendations. </p>

<p>Don’t forget personal “upkeep” expenses too. You going to have your hair done, your toe nails clipped, chin hairs tweezed (heh, heh), should probably join some rec programs too, before you need PT and OT, plus to keep up with what’s happening in the community. My mother and MIL became recluses, which was not good at all. And bear in mind you may need some help even when you never have in some things.</p>

<p>Mom2, my DH has been the same way. He is shocked at what it costs for his mother each month. I have a person come in to clean and spiff her up. She’s good at cosmetology, hair and things like that (MIL does not have medical needs) so we get a lot right there for what she pays. But it’s getting late in spring with summer around the corner, so she should get fresh light clothes, new shoes. and with her twisted toes, we are talking ortho shop and a lot of money. Leakage products ( and she’s not incontinent, just a bit of leakage), creams for her face and other amenities. It adds up. I have her take me and a grandson to lunch once a month, mainly to get her out. Some church actiivities too, which comes to a hundred bucks,and she does not give much. Takes a lot more than she gives. Also contributions to neighbors’ and relatives kids for fund raisers. again she gives very little but it’s still an expense. I’ll take her to see her brother next month, but she’ ll pay the gas and tolls and food on the way, plus a gift for them–it’ll run her a hundred bucks or so. Every time I take my mother into the city to see my brother, it costs me a minimum of forty bucks. She doesn’t have it, so I take the hit. But I think when I’m old, if I still live here and want to go into NYC once in a while, it’s going to mean I pay, </p>

<p>I was on an austerity regiment for years to afford our home and our kids’ private schools at time when we really could not afford those two things. Not fun. But I was younger and had the energy to make up for the lack of money with the time and effort and work. Doesn’t work that way when one gets older as the energy is not there, it takes more time and you can’t do the work any more. Neither DH nor I can do much planting anymore, for example, due to orthopedic issues for him and some severe allergy issues for me, not to mention the idea of those hours on my knees just isn’t gonna do it for me as I’m in my 60s. The kids do some but really, I’ve had to pay the lawn guy to dig some holes and someone else to do some plantings that I would have done all my self even 5years ago. We either have our kids wash the car now–I just don’t have the energy, and DH doesn’t have the knees–he’s really in line for a knee replacement, really two and counts every step. So to keep the car looking decent, we use the car wash locally, something we almost never spent money for. I used to rent a high pressure hose and wash the exterior of the house. No more. Gonna pay someone to do it. Same with the outside windows. My MIL’s house was tumbledown, dirty, grimey even from the exterior as she let those things go. Didn’t want to pay for them, couldn’t do it herself. I also pay a fortune now in cable costs when we always had the most basic cable as the two old ladies find comfort in TV and spend a lot of time watching it. Need the premier package to get the out of country language channels for my mother. Brother pays the $30 per month that it costs for that channel, but we have to pay for the enhanced cable to be able to get it So a lot of hidden expenses there. </p>

<p>The other thing is, I really don’t want to be in my old age having to count my pennies to see if I can pay to get my chin hairs plucked and my toe nails clippped. Or to get out and eat at a restaraunt more often. Didn’t matter to me ten years ago or even now, as I’m out a lot and whether I sit and eat there or at home matters little, but when it’s a reason to get out, one of the few things one can be active doing, it’s a whole other story. A lot of activities to include a meal and you gotta pay to do it and getting out is important. </p>

<p>We have no debts, no mortgages, no car loans and tuitions have been either paid or have been put into the trust. I have recently done some calculation on projected expenses. The minimum living expenses without counting food and entertainment is around $25K/year, providing social security/medicare does not go bankrupt and I pay for the medicare supplement. We do not have a life insurance, instead, we put money into investments that will cover death expenses and since there is no mortgage, there is little use of the life insurance.</p>

<p>I think I can live with the budget, it should be funded already.</p>

<p>However, even with the house and investments, the budget will be depleted very quickly if nursing home is in the picture, it will cost around $4-8000/mo, depends on if assisted living or skill nursing is required.</p>

<p>No mortgage does not mean zero housing expenses. Rising property values and taxes forced many elderly homeowners out of their houses here in some parts of the city. $1000/month is a steep tax bill for someone on a limited income. </p>

<p>Im not currently expecting to be able to return to my former very physical work, ( although I have been brainstorming) but my H is planning on getting a job in another field after he retires early in a couple years.
He is burnt out in his current position.</p>

<p>Oops…no that should be when I reach age 65, I won’t see a penny of my SS…all $166 a month…because it will go directly to Medicare.</p>

<p>That is why I decided to collect SS at age 62. I figured I would enjoy my $166 a month for three years.</p>