How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>ACA estimates premiums for us at $800 month for the cadillac plan. Heck, I practically pay that now from employer deductible.</p>

<p>I’ve had 4 implants, with more on the way. My teeth aren’t that bad, but I’ve had lots of bone erosion. In addition to the implant surgery, you have to add in bone grafts. When I asked my dentist how much the latest 3 would cost, he replied “a car
 a luxury car.” I asked him, “are we talking C class, E class, or S class?” </p>

<p>Forget dental insurance; it is useless. If auto insurance worked like dental insurance, you’d be covered for oil changes and windshield wipers, but not if someone totaled your car. They cover cleanings, which are not a big deal, but not much help on implants. </p>

<p>bob, you must live somewhere expensive. I had a 1 implant sofar, it was a tooth next to a tooth that was pulled out, even with bone graft, it was about $1500 and the insurance paid for it mostly. The oral surgeon was top notch, I believe he graduated top 1% UCLA dental school. That was less than 5 years ago.
I’m not too worried about dental costs because my teeth have been stabilized, no cavities for a long time. My husband is in the same category except he doesn’t like to eat anything too tough. Occasionally, we paid to have an old crown like 20 years old replace and that costs us about $500.</p>

<p>

Sorry, but this is foolish.</p>

<p>

Where are you located? Up in my neck of the woods, the gold plans are around $1200/month, with a $2K deductible each and $6K OOP, </p>

<p>If you just hit your deductibles, that’s over $18K/year right there, and we haven’t even talked about dental.</p>

<p>“ACA estimates premiums for us at $800 month for the cadillac plan. Heck, I practically pay that now from employer deductible.”</p>

<p>There is no reason to go through the ACA websites unless you’re getting a subsidy. And I’m not sure what you mean by a Cadillac plan, they don’t offer one. Perhaps a platinum plan? Unlikely you’ll get much of a subsidy at the income level you’re planning. And in ten years, you’re guaranteed to pay a LOT higher premium. Health care costs aren’t going down. Is that cost for what you’d pay right now, or if you were ten years older? In my area, you would pay thousands of dollars a year more than that at age 60, just for a bronze.</p>

<p>@drgoogle, Yes. I live in an expensive NJ suburb of NYC. I probably do overpay for dental work, and most everything else also. Property taxes on our house, a nice house but definitely not a mansion, are around $38k per year. When my wife retires, we wil have to leave town :slight_smile: </p>

<p>

Where else would you go? I thought the private market was essentially gone, because all policies have to be ACA-compliant now.</p>

<p>ixnay,
my DH has also had several implants. I believe the oral surgeon’s bill was covered under ourt medical benefit, not dental.</p>

<p>4 implants? That’s miserable. Wow!</p>

<p>@jym626, maybe I’ll try that with my next one. It can’t hurt to try. It’s too late for my previous ones. </p>

<p>“Where else would you go? I thought the private market was essentially gone, because all policies have to be ACA-compliant now.”</p>

<p>No, you go through the private insurers, they just have to be compliant. Same plans as through the ACA websites, they all offer the same thing. Apparently the prices are about the same, but why go through the govt website mess if you can get the same deal through the insurer?</p>

<p>@busdriver11‌ , I had one 25+ years ago, when it was kind of new. It’s still strong in my mouth, but it was a painful process. Recently I had 3 at the same time, on opposite sides of my mouth, and I didn’t even need Advil after the first 24 hours or so. I did, however, work on reducing the swelling by eating lots of frozen yoghurt (icing from. The inside out) :)) </p>

<p>I stand corrected. DH said it was dental. Didnt cover much but they were in network. one staff person tried to balance bill. thats illegal.</p>

<p>"Property taxes on our house, a nice house but definitely not a mansion, are around $38k per year. " - Wow, just wow. Maybe typo? I should probably stop worrying so much about staying in our house after retirement. It’s a big house, on a small-ish lot as is common in CO. Our annual tax bill is about $2300. </p>

<p>

It’s pretty convenient for price-shopping, everything is in one place for all the insurers.</p>

<p>Glad the process has gotten better over the last 25 years, in case any of us need one!</p>

<p>I had a gum transplant about 25 years ago. It was awful. So much pain, I felt that they hadn’t even given me anesthesia, and they just keep going. There was blood everywhere. Last one I had was a few years ago, and besides the fact that the doctor zapped me with her needle during the anesthesia process, I didn’t feel a thing. Easy recovery. Of course, it could be the difference between competence and incompetence, not time.</p>

<p>“It’s pretty convenient for price-shopping, everything is in one place for all the insurers.”</p>

<p>There are many websites with the same thing. But if the ACA sites are finally giving real quotes without errors, irritation, and making you give them your life story, probably doesn’t matter. </p>

<p>Stay in your house if you like it @colorado_mom, you have an extraordinary deal. We pay about 10X that. You are sitting pretty. I guess it’s all how states get their money.</p>

<p>state income tax in colorado does add to the cost of living. our home tax is about $1800 with a quite nice home, and that does not include the senior homestead exemption we will soon be getting.</p>

<p>Yes, CO state income tax is almost 5%. However, we are originally from NY, so that does not look too bad. </p>

<p>For those curious about state tax rates, this link has a nice map.<br>
<a href=“Top State Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation”>Tax Foundation;