How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

Please don’t get your back up about my replys.
My posts are just information for thread readers not look at your posts as FACTS. Medicare SEP for an individual is not based on a spouses enrollment period. PERIOD.

“But we cannot enroll for special enrollment period until AFTER Oct 1 when we are eligible Oct 1 on his special enrollment.”

Unfortunately, that is correct. As described in POMS, he cannot sign up for an SEP until the IEP has passed. Alternatively, he signs up for IEP.

1 Like

which is a problem on the supplement. It can be effective Oct 1 with a work around, but that is problematic to have the supplement in place for Oct 1. And do you think we will trust either SSA/Medicare or how the supplement works to be sure the supplement can be also in place for Oct 1? We would rather pay the almost $600 to not take any risks. But had we known the lay of the land earlier, we would not have had to spin our wheels - lots of time, energy and angst. And I cannot leave to go to my daughter’s with the new grandbaby until everything is in place.

Understand your frustration, but note that none of this has anything to do with your own personal Medicare application. In retrospect, what should have happened was backing up the months during the IEP adn figuring out which was best to file for coverage Oct 1.

Part B (and Premium-Part A): Coverage starts based on the month you sign up:

If you sign up: Coverage starts:
Before the month you turn 65 The month you turn 65
The month you turn 65 The next month
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 or 3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign u

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/when-does-medicare-coverage-start

When two spouses with initial enrollment periods within close months (overlapping) this chart is not helpful. The chart does not apply to DH.

Anyone who only has had to sign themselves up (just themselves alone) need not comment further, nor if your spouse and your initial enrollment periods that did not overlap.

Coverage is not starting for DH as the chart describes.

Believe me, if it was simple, the manager at our local SSA office would not be needing to input something, have the overall system generate something, delete that and put something else in…over several days as a ‘fix’.

One of us (me) the latter person had no problem with Medicare A and B effective on my birth month/age 65.

Stop defending the system when you are not in the middle of the mess and you are not in a situation to be in it. I don’t need to be insulted nor put down by saying the situation that does not apply to US.

Might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

and

“College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else… If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

7 Likes

I understand there are guidelines to the forum.

I think we are all grown-up enough to watch a debate from several perspectives, understand that people feel strongly, and gain information/understanding from the exchanges. I can’t see how a slightly strong exchange needs strict limitation. Posts where people feel passionately are posts we can all learn from.

3 Likes

When a small number of users are dominating the conversation with a user-specific “for instance” and/or talking over each other, they should step back or move the conversation to PM.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

I guess I don’t understand how one can “talk over” another in a individual-post forum (you say your piece in your post - no one is interrupting you :slight_smile: ). I also don’t quite get why a conversation has to have multiple participants to be a valid CC exchange. People here are smart & assertive enough to jump in on a conversation when they so desire… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll have to check. If they do not charge for using a credit card (or if the card provides more benefit than the charge), we probably would do this, though the ultimate bill will be paid by my company. One of the credit cards I use buy me elite status on airline, which is highly valuable to me in the normal world (when I fly several times a month in all directions) but maybe not so valuable if my flying stays more limitied.

It’s so nice to be retired, and be able to decide in the morning that you just don’t feel like going in to work. (I am retired/receiving a pension, but also have the ability to work some number of hours each year).

10 Likes

Long thread and I know this was discussed, but very time consuming to search out the individual posts.

So, for those close to retirement/retired, do you think it is better to take SS when eligible, mainly due to the possibility of benefits being reduced in the future?

Or do you expect it to remain as it stands, so you can delay it with the potential for an increased interest payment past full retirement age?

I would imagine much depends on any other expected income in retirement?

1 Like

Thanks for those links.

I briefly looked at them before, and thought I had them bookmarked, but couldn’t find them.

Under current law, all beneficiaries will receive a ~25% reduction if SS runs out of money in ~2035. So, taking early provides no real advantage (mathematically) if one is only concerned with that single issue.

2 Likes

Although 2035 is 14 years away. At some point the benefit of waiting reaches a break even point. So there is that.

Everyone’s situation is different and there are a lot of factors. We ran a lot of numbers and different scenarios with our financial advisor and began collecting this year (age 64 for both). YMMV as they say.

3 Likes

the BE doesn’t really change.

Even though you have already claimed, for kicks, you might consider running the NPV thru OpenSocialSecurity, and compare that with what your FA came up with. If you click the additional tab, you can play with different scenarios, including changing mortality tables.

https://opensocialsecurity.com

Thanks but no need to. We did a ton of research based on our own finances/situation and made our decision. No interest in looking at something we can’t change anyway.

3 Likes

I was approached about a full time maternity leave position starting soon until Christmas. I declined. I just don’t want to work full time. Now they want to talk to me about maybe doing part time…I might agree to two days a week…but really I need to think about this. I am really enjoying retirement.

10 Likes

I agree about friendly and welcoming.

I related my spouses and my experiences with an important part of retiring - SSA and Medicare. Which this parent thread is about - it is a popular thread.

Thank you moderator.

1 Like

@Thumper1: Be careful of agreeing to part-time. They might give you the FT load and expect you to handle it.

6 Likes