How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

That’s about what we pay through Chubb. Honestly, I wouldn’t care that much who is was with, no company is going to want to pay a claim so that keeps you safe.

Maybe they are capping due to more claims? When we got it years ago, 5 million seemed like so much money. Now it seems appropriate but not excessive.

Never. But when we go somewhere that has health care that isn’t good, we make sure we get a policy that can fly you out just in case. My husband used to travel in Asia and India for work. He had a policy that would fly him to Singapore or other places with good care, just in case.

1 Like

In these times, it seems most trip insurance is almost a must.

IDK if the trip insurance or extra travel health insurance paid on a guy that needed to abort their cruise. It was a bit of a stretch for them to go anyway - he was stage IV cancer (with scheduled IV treatments) and barely keeping at a decent level. In W/C etc. although could walk a few steps. After a few days, his health was a big downturn. The flight (with only minimal bag) to get wife/him to hospital off the ship was $25K.

I checked when we were on private insurance, and Switzerland at the time had two hospitals that took our insurance. If I go again, will take out the additional policy over my travel days on my Medicare supplement (I am a Swiss dual citizen). DH is ‘done’ with travel outside of family events or things he wants to do - going back to Switzerland is ‘one and done’ despite liking my relatives and friends there. I will probably go with DD next trip.

Some countries with ‘free health care’ will also treat visitors - that happened with our cousin in Italy. I will have to ask my good friend whose DH fell in England and broke his hip. He actually was pick-pocketed on a public bus and she was at the police station with police report while he was ‘unattended’ at the hotel. He fell in the hotel room (they realized his wallet gone at the hotel).

No claims filed ever.

My Dad uses USAA and the costs are very low compared to Chubb. But they are very different products.

I’m looking for lots of ways to save on annual/monthly expenses as we are paying full amount of college tuition. I’m happy because my agent just sent me an email. I’m going to save nearly 2K when my kid goes to college. The agent said I had to keep the student on the account. I called Chubb and I don’t. Four years is nearly 8K.

Another one is the POD we rent. We moved before Covid and have been paying $230/month. It’s being delivered tomorrow and it’s getting picked up in two weeks. Can’t wait. I know lots of people rent storage and keep it forever as it’s such a pain to unpack.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all those different prices! Our insurer estimated $770 for $3 million (max amout they offered) then there’s the $210 for the unisured motorist (so $980 total). $2 million is abt $880 (w/the unisured) and the $1 million is $560 (with the uninsured).

I wonder if there is any advantage to getting the umbrella through your existing homeowners/auto insurance? I’m thinking maybe less complicated if there is a claim? H likes the insurance company a lot.

While $1 mil is baseline, $3 mil I think would be the max we’d need as have one home, no dogs, no boats, 3 cars…

1 Like

We have a price advantage with discounts with the home/auto/umbrella/also a small savings account $100 minimum - which adds discounts to the other 3.

But you need the policies you are comfortable with.

Can pay to shop/compare.

2 Likes

Am curious which coverages you will be dropping for your college student.

My children remained on my car insurance while at college, but at a significantly reduced rate. I finally removed them now that the second one has graduated and moved out of state.

I was surprised & disappointed when I reached out to my Chubb agent to have the college grads removed from my umbrella policy. The agent said that there would not be a reduction in the premium since the coverage was on the cars, not on the driver.

I am one person with two cars but I cannot drive both of these cars at the same time, so I question the explanation.

1 Like

I’m dropping the car insurance for my '22. The agent said I could not. She said I could “save $650/ a year”. I said, “No thanks, I’m not paying for something for someone who lives thousands of miles away.” But I think I already mentioned when I called Chubb directly and pushed back a lot ( said I’d go with USAA for all) I heard right back from the agent. Will save be $1876/year. (Or about $7,500).

Might not work for kids who are going to be coming home on weekends. But our kid will be far away and coming home only Xmas (less than 30 days) and possibly Summers ( if home more than 30 days I’ll have to re-add).
I honestly don’t know how the umbrella policy works. I thought it was for our homeowners so have no idea what it covers/doesn’t cover for my kids. I do know that it didn’t go up when kid #1 got added to the car insurance.

Ah, got it. That makes sense in your scenario and the savings are significant.

Mine were home for most breaks as they were within reasonable driving distance. My car insurance carrier offered another scenario where the car could be in storage while not driven, and then added back to the coverage when the students returned, but that was more effort than I wanted to undertake.

My total annual car insurance premium for three drivers on two cars is about what you will save by dropping your college student, so we were not talking big dollars.

Clearly I do not remember how the umbrella works either (it’s been so many years) but it just seemed that the premium should decline once the 20-somethings were off the policy.

I don’t know if you want to consider this and probably not important until your child lives off campus, but I extended the Chubb liability coverage to my children’s college addresses for maybe $50/year.

1 Like

Our home, auto and umbrella are all with the same company. We pay $360 a year for $2m umbrella policy. It extends to our home, autos, cottage (which is co-owned with MIL and insured through the same company but different agent) and boat.

2 Likes

Yes @Jolynne_Smyth. We contracted to get solar this past year, but Tesla screwed up the subsidy applications. They were understaffed and incopetently managed. Will return to this next year, I think, but likely not with Tesla.

We are doing a to the studs renovation of part of our house after doing a conversion of a garage to a painting studio. We chose a contractor who does extremely high-end work and has done so for one of our friends and often works with our architect (who is also our friend). Hopefully, we are less likely to have the same kinds of construction problems. Part of the rationale for this is to prep the house for the next 20+ years of one-floor living.

I hope we will be able to switch to autonomous vehicles when we either are ready to stop driving or should stop driving. I think we have one more car generation before they will be ready. My car is a 2014 but with very low mileage and ShawWife’s is 2013 with pretty low mileage. We will try to keep them another few years.

3 Likes

Yes our vehicles, 2016 and 2019 should last a while and we can see how things roll out with electric. If one car ‘went unexpectedly’ we probably would go with Hybrid used (if possible) since we like our make/model of vehicle and that does come with Hybrid. We use the 2019 for trips as it gets significantly better gas mileage (same make/model but 2016 is also 4 wheel drive). New car gets 10 more miles/gallon over the other. However my solo trips to DD 100 miles away I go with the 2016 (my vehicle).

Consumer Reports (Sept 2022) on their ‘Road Report’ lists a Ford Maverick Hybrid Small Pickup Truck, 37 mpg on regular. Four door and short 4.5 foot bed. Can tow 2,000 lb. MSRP as tested was $32,925. Interesting…

1 Like

Why wouldn’t medical insurance cover medical costs from accidental injuries (motor vehicle related or otherwise) if there is no other insurance that covers it?

https://www.valuepenguin.com/can-you-use-health-insurance-in-car-accident

CR tested two versions of the Ford Maverick, one with the 37mpg hybrid and one with the 23mpg turbocharged engine. The hybrid was the less expensive one ($21-27k MSRP), although finding it is likely to be difficult.

1 Like

There’s an entire thread on cars. Perhaps that discussion can move there

3 Likes

In case there was confusion because I was too subtle, my post above was not to be construed as optional compliance. Further car posts will be deleted without notice or comment.

4 Likes

Got hit with a jump in our cell phone plan costs - they just increased rates and we saw it on our billing message.

Trying to keep recurring costs at manageable level. We were pretty loyal to this cell phone plan due to great US coverage, but I don’t think that is a problem with other carriers anymore. DH is checking things out tomorrow.

Bummer!

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience.

It seems everyone is going to unlimited data rates.

1 Like

My plan didn’t go up, but the fees did.

It’s a scam IMO that the cell phone companies can advertise plan rates, and then you wind up paying 20-30% more in taxes and made up “fees”.

I’m not on unlimited data yet, but I need to review the current plans to see if I can save any money.

3 Likes

Just went through this with my daughter’s cell plan. In order to get a new phone, which she needed as her phone was 3 years old and having issues, she had to upgrade to an unlimited plan. They were also raising the cost of her old plan (which they don’t offer anymore), trying to get people to switch. The day we went for her new phone they had increased the monthly rate (oh but you now get free Disney+ and Hulu) that day by $10 a month.

I find both cell and internet company costs almost impossible to keep under control. Every time I call and try to get something cheaper I get told every possible alternative is costlier since I am on a very old plan. Also, the cheap rates they offer for new customers, expire after a year and then you are stuck paying more. The entire thing is infuriating.