How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

I just put in a buy for 8 week new issue treasuries for 5K. Looks like the minimum was 1K. Are you looking to get new issue or going on the secondary market, which looks to have much higher minimums?

Yes, I was looking for new issues, and the minimum was 500k, another one was $100k, so I gave up.

Weird, because on my account, both 4 and 8 week treasuries are minimum 1K required.

I think I picked a very attractive yield, maybe thatā€™s why, I forgot which duration. I tried on a few duration too, but not the very short one. Only 3 treasuries for the same duration, and the minimum was $100k.

If it showed the yield, itā€™s not a ā€œnew issueā€. You might be looking at the secondary market. Are you looking at Fidelity? They do have an expected yield for new issues. But when I look at the minimum required to purchase, itā€™s just one (or 1K, if Iā€™m reading this correctly).

I think I must have mistaken, I was just browsing around and ended up in the secondary section.

1 Like

I ended up in the secondary sections a few days ago and thought wth, you need a min investment of many thousands of dollars? Seemed wrong, especially since my advisor had bought small amounts that were still in my account.

1 Like

Interesting, I thought Thursday is the day they release new treasuries. Iā€™ll try again, but itā€™s unnerving not knowing what you buy.
Edit to add, itā€™s actually Wednesday for Treasuries. Iā€™ll try again next week.

1 Like

My husband is four years older than me. I am on his medical insurance. What do people with younger spouses do for medical insurance when the older spouse becomes eligible for Medicare?

I plan on working (and keeping him on my employer plan) for as long as I can. :slight_smile: He plans on working, too - for as long as he can. :laughing: My husband has not applied for Medicare yet even though he is eligible. He has his own plan that would allow him to transition to Medicare when the time comes - without penalties.

It is a tough situation. ACA plan? Not sure COBRA can be elected for dependents only.

4 Likes

wife went on COBRA for 18 months and then a few months on an ACA plan until she aged into Medicare.

5 Likes

@seal16, we were able to do this but had to have the employer request it from the insurer, I think. So, I was paying for Medicare and separately for ShawWifeā€™s insurance through my company. I donā€™t remember what was involved. However, I am the owner of the company so the corporate hierarchy was very cooperative.

1 Like

Iā€™m on my husbandā€™s retiree insurance. Are you in California? Cobra for California is 36 months now, then onto ACA.

For those who are a primary insuredā€¦ be careful with going on COBRA if you are Medicare-eligible thinking you have 18 (or 36) months until you can sign up. You only have several months to sign up for Medicare without penalties, I believe it is much less than 18 or 36 months.

3 Likes

Yes in CA. Cobra just for dependent?

Here is the link.
https://www.dmhc.ca.gov/healthcareincalifornia/typesofplans/keepyourhealthcoverage(cobra).aspx

I think you do from the above link, itā€™s pretty common scenario, spouse is eligible for Medicare.

1 Like

yes

Thank you!

1 Like

If you are on Fidelity, click the Depth of Book icon and you will see the yield for various volumes. Alternatively, just click Buy and the system will offer you the yield at your purchase volume. You can preview before purchase to see specs.

2 Likes

Dh and I are less than two weeks apart so not a problem for us, but my brother is five years older than his dw so will keep working until she qualifies, which is two years from now.

3 Likes