How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

List of states allowing TOD for Real Estate

There are possible risks. In some situations, using a Trust or having real estate to through probate could make more sense. Google to find assorted articles (usually sponsored by probate lawyers)

1 Like

Iā€™ve figured out my first problem with retirement!
I need to just delete all those ads that come into my inbox for work clothes.
I also need to break by little ā€œLulu/Athletaā€ habit, but that may be harder.

4 Likes

Newly retired here. No problem resisting work clothing. Trying hard tp not to start a Lulu/Athleta habitā€¦ but time will tell.

4 Likes

I am just owning my Lulu/Athleta habit (maybe we could start a support group)!

5 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:Definitely part of that club!

5 Likes

Prana and Merrells habit here. Got worse since retirement. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Other than exercising in the morning, on most days I donā€™t wear shoes. Something to get used to when I have to. And what I call a Covid sport jacket is a zip up fleece with a hood. Wear one over a dress shirt on cold days. Have a couple different colors depending on color of the shirt. Try to remember to take it off for zoom video calls but sometimes I forget.

2 Likes

I discovered Vuori and OMG, I donā€™t even want to wear my Luluā€™s anymore (although am wearing them today), but Vuori are the most comfy joggers ever that you can actually go out in and not feel like youā€™re wearing only leggings 24/7! Or workout clothes!!

3 Likes

Life is shortā€¦

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/affluent-americans-rush-to-retire-in-new-life-is-short-mindset/

4 Likes

Yep, it sure is. DH is making his exit plans- a few years earlier than he originally planned for all the reasons this article mentions.

3 Likes

The current situation is having the opposite effect on H. He had been planning on retiring soon but will continue to work because since covid his hours are flexible and he can work from anywhere he has a good cell signal.

4 Likes

Interesting article. I retired a few months ago and H retired yesterday. We had actually planned this before Covid. In my case I had a very negative experience at my workplace a few years ago and some family business that caused me to pack it in at 63 1/2.

I remember reading about younger people wanting baby boomers to retire sooner so that they could move up the ladder. More people in their late 50ā€™s and early 60ā€™s would retire if they had health care.

12 Likes

When I left my job of 7 years, which required superhuman powers to properly perform, I was replaced with a 30 year old. He left after a year & a half, leaving a mess of undone work at the very worst time of the annual work cycle. Companies want to replace us ā€œold folksā€ with new blood, but they should be careful what they wish for.

11 Likes

I took a lateral position in another department after being underpaid/undertitled for years. Of course I was replaced by a (less qualified) man a few decades younger - he got the higher title and salary. He lasted 6 months!

My new job was fine-nice boss, great coworkers, regular hours (unlike prior position), but TBH after I learned the job it was boring. I didnā€™t feel motivated to stay, but stuck it out for 3.5 years.

And yes HR got the whole story when I leftā€¦

13 Likes

Since COVID Iā€™ve talked to a fair number of people about retirement. Many realized they are readier than they thought they were. But others realized they hate being home all the time and want to continue working.

6 Likes

Being stuck home during Covid is way different than retirement will be after people are free to congregate again. Iā€™ve still enjoyed itā€¦ soooo nice to not have work stresses and offshift pager duty.

ā€œMore people in their late 50ā€™s and early 60ā€™s would retire if they had health care.ā€ - Aint that the truth! I retired soon after my retired husband started on Medicare. I am 7 years younger but have a fund from work that will cover a lot of my pre-Medicare medical expenses. But for the first 18 months Iā€™m using Cobra benefits.

7 Likes

Cobra can be expensive! If I had had to use Cobra the for the 1 1/2 years until Medicare, I would have paid $21K/year. My retirement insurance (thanks company benefits!) is about $5K/year. Big difference.

3 Likes

As someone who is self employed I effectively pay the COBRA cost every year.

6 Likes

Me too. Every year the increases are crazy, with or without the marketplace program. Getting to the point where we absorb the cost and just hope thatā€™s the new normal only to find it cost a few more grand each yr. Unsustainable. Currently pay over 20k for lousy coverage that doesnā€™t do much for our kids OOS. Chose it over the more comprehensive because that would have been 3k per month. Wasnā€™t too long ago we paid 500/m for a good family plan. Crazy.

3 Likes

Insurance costs are crazy. Last year for my husband and me our plan was costing just over 2300/month and it was for a high deductible plan. We couldā€™ve gone with a lower deductible one but then higher premium and with this we at least had the HSA. This year we changed plans and are at least saving more than $1k/mo but on some things itā€™s clear that itā€™s not as good coverage. The prescription stuff though I thin will be cheaper due to the 90 day mail in order for RX but weā€™ll see. My kids are fortunate to be on their fatherā€™s plan which is phenomenal and has low deductible and out of pocket costs so basically the last 4 months of every year they hit the family max also so that we pay nothing and I run and fill their prescriptions for each month at no cost. Once they turn 26 they will realize how good they have it!