How much does being a URM help??

<p>Hey guys, I'm Hispanic (Colombian) and I have a 3.7 uw GPA, and a 29 on the ACT. My target school is the University of Michigan, and my dream/reach is Columbia.</p>

<p>What chance do you guys think I have at getting in those schools?</p>

<p>my dream is also Columbia but i’m applying as an international so its a bit different. What are our stats that will really help cc’ers tell you your chance.</p>

<p>Stats:
-3.7 GPA at a top MI public high school.
-29 ACT (first time)
-207 PSAT (on track for National Merit Scholarship)
-1950 SAT (first time)

• 770 USH, 800 French, 750 Spanish, 700 Lit
    -AP Scholar – maybe will become AP scholar w/ distinction in July
    -300+ community service hours
    -ECs: tutoring club, student government, youth group leader, youth deacon at church, NHS, marching band, symphony band (top ensemble), soccer, martial arts
    -I also co-authored a book on life cycle assessment
    -trilingual (French/English/Spanish)</p>

<p>See this thread for some discussion of what factors are considered within the Hispanic category:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html?highlight=ivy[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html?highlight=ivy&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Very different as there is no URM category for Intl. applicants.</p>

<p>Thanks entomom!!</p>

<p>I’m adopted from rural Colombia and have had very little contact with Hispanic community other than the fact I tutor Hispanic kids and went on a work trip to Costa Rica.</p>

<p>Would that be held against me?</p>

<p>My son is 1/2 Puerto Rican and we, his parents, are white. Even if he doesn’t put down any ethnicity, if he interviews, schools will see he is non-white. He’s not a part of the “Latino” community but being 1/2 Puerto Rican certainly effects his world for a number of reasons.</p>

<p>Your story may be equally compelling, aahs, and I would think being adopted would be something to share with schools.</p>

<p>Thanks! My parents are Swiss, neither having attended US universities; so I’m fairly new at this whole process.</p>

<p>I’m binational (Swiss and Colombian) and am fluent in French (first language)/English (came to the US in '05)/Spanish. Will that do any good come admissions time?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Are you applying as a US citizen or Intl. student?</p>

<p>URM status doesn’t matter for the University of Michigan.</p>

<p>I think you are good to go for Michigan. Columbia’s acceptance for this year was 6.9% so I would say that it is a reach for you.</p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone using CC</p>

<p>What’s URM?</p>

<p>Underrepresented minority.</p>

<p>Applying as a US Resident. Yay green cards.</p>

<p>Agree that URM status is not a factor at UMichigan. Your best bet is to look at the Results from last year on the UM subforum and see how you compare to other IS residents.</p>

<p>I would recommend retaking the SAT or ACT as your scores are currently well below the 25% level.</p>

<p>IMO, when it comes to schools like Columbia, Chances are not really very helpful. Your best bet is to have a well balanced and realistic list of schools with C as one of your reaches, but with solid admissions and financial safeties and matches as well.</p>

<p>Being a minority is a factor at UM even though it’s not explicitly stated or written. The Same goes with any kind of admissions, whether it’s at the undergraduate or graduate level. Michigan - Target, Columbia - Reach.</p>

<p>Oh yeah I should probably mention that my SAT was from Freshman year. My January score was 2370. That might make a difference. ;)</p>

<p>Yes, current information is always helpful :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Aas12, I’m curious why you didn’t list your January SAT in your stats post when you first posted on this forum. Why list your ACT and first SAT score? Colleges will see the best you’ve got if you use score choice. Just wondering…</p>

<p>I get a lot of hate at school concerning the SAT score. And I wanted people to “chance” me without being biased due to my SAT score. As in, I didn’t want people to tell me I’m getting in for sure based on my SAT score alone.</p>

<p>You listed two different SAT scores in the Michigan forum and here. What is the point of that and what do you mean by judged?This is an Internet forum. There are kids on these forums with better SAT scores and GPA’s.</p>