How much does ELC help for UCs?

How much does eligibility in the local context (top 9% of your HS) matter for top UCs like Berkeley, LA, SD, and Davis? I know it only guarantees Merced, but I noticed it’s also one of the 14 factors they consider when evaluating your application, and I think it’s like class rank, which is undeniably very important for top unis. Thoughts?

As you stated above, it is considered in the UC application review but it does not guarantee admission to any UC with exception of UC Merced if room is available. It is also possible for in-state applicants that are not ELC eligible to get acceptances in the UC’s, so is one of many factors that can help your chances.

@Gumbymom that makes sense. even though it only guarantees merced, though, i was reading some old threads which said that ELC students had an extremely high (like >80-90%) acceptance rate to some of the “mid” tier UCs like SD, D, SB, etc. Is this still true?

With the competitiveness of the UC’s, it makes sense that the majority of accepted applicants are within the top 10% of their class. Again, it is only one factor in the admissions review especially with the top UC’s like UCLA/UCB which tend to take a holistic approach in their application reviews. Why do you think UCB has started asking for LOR’s? A better way to find out more about an applicant beyond the academics.

@Gumbymom That makes sense. Do you think that not having ELC will hurt me a lot? Also, do they use the uncapped GPA for ELC? I know people with lower capped GPAs than me but higher uncapped and they got ELC.

How ELC GPA is determined for Local Path:
ELC status will be determined by the UC after students submit their applications. Using the self-reported academic record, the application system will check to see if an applicant’s weighted, uncapped GPA meets or exceeds the benchmark ELC GPA for his or her school and whether the student has completed the ELC course pattern: 1 year of history/social science, 2 years of English, 2 years of mathematics, 1 year of lab science, 1 year of language other than English and 4 college-prep electives.

There is also a Statewide Path for ELC: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/admissions-index/index.html

My older son was ELC eligible by the local-HS path and my other son was ELC eligible by the Statewide Path. Both got into some of the UC’s. Also I know a few non ELC eligible applicants that were accepted to the UC’s so again this is only one area of criteria. If you have an overall competitive application, ELC will probably not be a determining factor in your acceptance or rejection.

@Gumbymom Ok, thank you!

I was wondering if there are any differences in the UC admissions’ view in ELC eligibility by a competitive local HS vs ELC eligibility in a much less competitive local HS? I understand the ELC eligibility by the statewide path for all high schools…

@UCBUSCalum I would imagine that ELC from a more competitive HS would be more impressive.

thanks.