How much does location matter in choosing an engineering school (Case Western or RPI)

Accepted into both as a transfer student and intend to major in civil engineering. Case appeals to me more as the breadth of civil engineering course choices seems more than RPI based on the website, and the number of students graduating per year is less (15-25 at Case vs. 75-90 at RPI based on website statistics). Having visited both campuses, although neither is in a major city, I prefer Cleveland over Troy.

However, my biggest issue is the location of Case relative to the Northeast, as I am from New York and would like to work in NYC after graduation. Many people I have talked to have said RPI has a very strong presence in the northeast, whereas Case is not well known. A quick Linkedin search also shows way more RPI graduates at major civil companies in NYC and Boston than Case, but how possible is it to get a job in the northeast from Case?

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Matters very little in my opinion.

A simple LinkedIn search of case civil engineers in NU backs this up.

It’s an online world. That’s how many fimd gigs today. Local firms might come but location is not difficult to pivot.

I assume you prefer CWRU, hence the hesitation?

1 Like

Talk to the school and see how the students are placed yearly. Might be on their websites. But ya, there are always specific companies coming to X school looking for those students,specifically. But you can literally apply to anywhere in the world. I think your internships /co-op’s, might have a larger influence then the school you go to actually. Try to get internships in those areas.

Meant to say NY. Lots of CWRU in NY.

It will be easier to find NY jobs if you go to RPI. It’s simply a matter of more NY firms attending the job fairs.

That said, Indeed, LinkedIn, Handshake, etc. have made to process of finding a job further from your school a lot more streamlined.

I’d go to the school you want to go to. Then I’d look at the RPI career website and see who is showing up. Apply directly for internships and ultimately a job.

Good luck!

Location matters. Everyone makes the argument that GT kids place locally for jobs, and turn around and say that location doesn’t matter, and anyone can place anywhere.

For smaller less reputed schools that are not, say, MIT, location will always matter. For nationally reputed schools, location will matter less.

My kid just went through this.

Location doesn’t matter.

Not in the era of a hot economy (that may be a factor), indeed and LinkedIn.

You have Fortune 500 companies…both fortune 200 - two for my son - one a defense contractor and the other a good processor - offer my son same day as the first interview, which was a turnoff to him. . He went to Alabama, and those two were in Mass and Iowa (the same day offer jobs) to start.

He had 5 offers - the other 3 Atlanta, the 2nd unsure at the time but not southeast and the one he’s taken - in Utah - hq in Cleveland.

He only applied for rotational programs and in those you move after each. Interviewed with 20 - in all regions but I can only think of one within hours and even the same region. So that was the Atlanta one but he would have had to spend a year in Quincy Ill for example on that one.

His intern company is in TN and they wanted to offer but came in too late.

I think location matters very little. So we can agree to disagree on this one.

Edit - I’ll add only one brought him in. The rest zoom. That company was in Wausau WI and didn’t offer him.

Partly because your son was recruiting for engg/defense companies that have manufacturing locations in all 50 states for political reasons (because 50 states worth of congressmen need to vote on that funding bill). Can you make the same argument for civil engineering jobs where employers are often small and regional? Or chemical engineering jobs — a lot of which are in the south, and are not dispersed throughout the country? What about the small environmental engg consultancy firms? Etc…

1 Like

Two were defense and yes he’s working in defense but wanted auto. One chemicals and for those mechE out there they (chemical companies) seem to pay best, one food and one a conglomerate but I guess involved more techie.

Yes you are right - I can only speak to a MechE.

And you are correct - a lot is based on where the jobs are - but I’m not sure on where you go to school.

And today if a student has a preferred long term location - that’s also an issue as one truly doesn’t know where they will be asked to go unless it is a company with limited scope. They may start one place and not know where place #2 is. That includes for people like me as well.

My last job said Nashville out - go to Greenville SC which I would have until my current company came. And I’m not an engineer and I’m experienced but over 25 years ago when I got my mba - I had 7 or 8 offers and they were all over.

But yes a lot would depend on the scope geographically of the company. That is correct.

1 Like

My kid has turned down the offer for a placement outside the country and better prospects because friends and family are in New York. This is our definition of staying local.

1 Like

Oh and edit I went back to the subject - civil - so you may be right again.

But may not.

I know TDOT had a ton of jobs on indeed for civil. Are they seeking only TN grads or from all over ? Can’t say.

I was off subject. Sorry.

1 Like

I am guessing TDOT is a relatively small employer to oversee work that is being done. Relative to all the construction firms that do the actual work. Even they wouldn’t gate out of state people, but they hire locally, go to the local schools to pitch etc, are not known outside the area.

It’s not that companies don’t want grads from out of their area. It’s that they don’t have the budget and manpower to recruit far from home, and they don’t need to.

2 Likes

Only reason that location might matter is that it’s logistically easier to find a job if you’re 3 hours north of NYC than 6 hours west of the city. I personally don’t think the difference in distance is enough to be a big deal. I’m in the camp that says go to the school you like more.

2 Likes

Location may matter in that smaller companies may recruit only regionally, or be noticed only by students in the area.

Sorry, I just saw the replies to this post. I ultimately went with RPI as for civil engineering, location definitely matters more for recruiting.

4 Likes

I’m late to the game here but my D’s chem E friends are scattered around the country. Her close Purdue chem E circle are in CA, CO, OH, IL, PA, FL, and MA. She has HS chem E friend in LA, MI, OH, and TX. I think one is moving next rotation to KY and another to WA.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I stand corrected.

Choosing an engineering school is important. Case offers more civil engineering courses, smaller classes, and a preferred location, but RPI has a stronger presence in the Northeast job market. Consider networking, internships, and career services to secure opportunities in your desired location. Both schools are accredited and reputable. Focus on personal fit and happiness. Your actions and connections matter. Good luck with your decision!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.