How much does URM status help an application?

<p>I am african american and go to a school that is mostly white. My grades aren't the best, I'm only top 30% but many people are telling me to consider schools that would normally be out of range for my numbers. People are saying that schools like to boast about how many "colored" people they have, and that being black makes my application much stronger.</p>

<p>I don't want to get my hopes up, so that's why I'm asking if I should really be looking at schools like Reed College, GWU, and UVA with a 3.4 gpa (3.7 w/o 9th grade) and a 1910 (R650 M580 W680 12E) The SAT was my first time and I was disappointed by my performance. </p>

<p>No special activities. On a scale of 1-10 I would give myself a 6 for EC accomplishments. </p>

<p>So how far does URM status really go? I was really considering Reed because they have 1% AAs in their student body, so I assume they would be more willing to seek diversity (and they have a solid economics program).</p>

<p>They are absolutely correct! Definitely apply to the schools that you like but make sure that you mention obstacles that you’ve overcome as a URM. I am an URM aswell. </p>

<p>Also, I don’t know if you are interested but you may also want to try to apply to an ivy school. Although some may think they don’t have a chance, you may be surprised!</p>

<p>GOOD LUCK!</p>

<p>Black man with same or worse stats as Asian or white guy will have much better chance at ivies.</p>

<p>^^ exactly! :)</p>

<p>i would suggest NOT applying to ivies based on your stats (unless you really want to) but i would say go for those schools you mentioned.</p>

<p>uh… just make sure you have match and safeties.</p>

<p>Because he is an URM they don’t place his stats under the same light as the rest of the applicants. Applying to 1 ivy won’t hurt just as long as he had mach and safety schools.</p>

<p>I’ve read somewhere on this site about a dude getting into Columbia with a 3.5, 2050, low rank, and mediocre ECs. He was a URM.</p>

<p>My friend is rich and black, had a 20** SAT (I forget exactly), 3.5 GPA, <200 volunteer hours and a mediocre course-load. He will be at Harvard in the fall. AA is a (insert demeaning word here)</p>

<p>The guy I’m talking about; he’s rich as in his family makes >1 million but he couldn’t donate a building or something like that.</p>

<p>

“Our culture has done African Americans a great disservice by engendering a sense of entitlement among them, and they do themselves an even greater one by insisting on perpetuating that attitude.”</p>

<p>@addymithas: Essays are key, you know.</p>

<p>@OP: I agree with Quakergirl and somewhat with NervusBreakdown; apply to any schools that you have interest in, but make sure you have killer essays and teacher recommendations. Also, make sure you have some safety schools to apply to. You never know what kind of results you’ll receive.
Are you planning on retaking the SAT? Or maybe trying the ACT in September?</p>

<p>Best to have some safety schools. URM at D’s school w/slightly better stats 2000 SAT rejected by UVA. Luckily he did not get his hopes up just applied as one of his reach schools. Disappointed but not heart broken. Choose wisely.</p>

<p>OP, feel free to apply to where ever you please. Don’t limit your options. The worst that can happen is that you get rejected, so why not apply to reach schools?</p>

<p>If the school is hurting for URM it makes a grand difference… I’d say 7% of your race or under means it might matter.</p>

<p>“Reed because they have 1% AAs in their student body, so I assume they would be more willing to seek diversity” .</p>

<p>It could also mean that Being URM means nothing to Reed, or that they don’t care. </p>

<p>Seriously, the pacific northwest has a hard time attracting black folks. Something to think about.</p>

<p>"Our culture has done African Americans a great disservice by engendering a sense of entitlement among them, </p>

<p>Oh, THAT was the disservice!</p>

<p>“and they do themselves an even greater one by insisting on perpetuating that attitude.”</p>

<p>Please tell me where the OP’s post suggested entitlement or attitude. But I would love it if students could find a more discreet way of exploring this issue. I don’t believe anyone should decide whether or not to apply based on responses here, so what’s the point?</p>

<p>

The response wasn’t directed to the OP.</p>

<p>

Discreet in what way? A way where they could find out how to exploit Affirmative Action without publicly revealing their interest in taking advantage of it?</p>

<p>I was also wondering about this. I have around the same stats as the OP. My SAT score was 2040 (but I just took it again and feel much better about it) and my ACT score was a 33. My GPA is about the same but I did a year at Exeter and when I came back to my old school they didn’t weight the grades and it lowered my GPA drastically. Do you think I’d have a chance at a school like reed?</p>