How much leeway can ge granted with hispanic status?

<p>Ok, I know it sounds selfish, but my school year began kind of rocky. Freshmen year was ok, but nothing special (3.1 UW), then I stepped up in my sophomore year, full IB, but chem kicked my ass >_< And I received a less than affable grade, which I got up 2nd semester. Overall I think I got a 3.25/3.3?</p>

<p>But now in my first semester junior I blipped up. I'm in normal math, but pre calc or anything of that nature, and my teacher was just awful, not helpful at all. Never helped me a math help sessions, never corrected HW, never explained things properly, took months at a time to get test back, etc. Granted I know I am responsible for my education, the teacher-student relationship requires 100% from each end I would think. No other classes are a problem, I'm in bio which I'm ok at, and excel in humanities. So I think I'll get anywhere between a 3.00 and a 3.25 this semester (All of these are UW of course).</p>

<p>I know URM status can't make up for all loose ends. But if I am able to buckle down this 2nd semester, take some summer courses at a community college to add to my transcript, and have my counselor explain my ok (IMO), but not astounding performance up until now.....how could I stand at the following colleges?
<em>Also PSAT was 205, 80, 70, 55 WRM</em>, so if that's any indicator on how well I can do on the SATS.</p>

<p>ECs probably aren't amazing, but if you wanna factor those in ask for them.</p>

<p>Santa Clara
Chapman
Occidental
CMC, Pomona, Pitzer (my big reaches)
UW Seattle</p>

<p>Your reaches are reaches, but you’re in line for a few of the others. You have similar stats to my S, who is also a junior. Your PSAT helps, for sure.</p>

<p>My kids are hispanic, the oldest (D) is a senior with high stats. She applied to some reaches, but we have not received those decisions back (not due until March), so I can’t really say if being URM will have helped or not. I think in the case of Pomona, where many qualified kids of any race are rejected, that being URM helps when you have the stats. Having a 3.0-3.25 will definitely be more difficult. Also, there are many many high achieving hispanic kids, those with 36/2400 test scores.</p>

<p>It’s ok to apply to those reaches, but expand your list of match schools, many of which are fine schools. Look at Willamette in Oregon and Evergreen State. If you are willing to look away from the west coast, there are more options, like Wooster or Ohio Wesleyan. Also, make sure you apply early next year. I’ve seen high scoring URMs getting rejected from average state schools this year because there are simply too many kids applying for a limited number of spots. Also there are threads on CC that address the B+ GPA student and what schools are good. There are a lot of knowledgeable parents that could help more with the west coast schools than I can. good luck to you</p>

<p>Hispanic heritage can boost one’s application by approximately 150 points on the 1600 SAT scale for schools seeking hispanic students. California schools may offer less of an advantage especially if you present no geographic diversity.
Your PSAT math & verbal scores are strong. If you are willing to study in the East, the South or the Mid-West, you are likely to get a scholarship offer from many schools needing & seeking diversity such as the University of Kansas. I cannot, however, recommend any schools to you based on the scant information provided in your post.</p>

<p>I’m interested in small schools, but my parents will only financially support me to go to a state school (hence why I’m applying to UW). I know unless I can do some serious turn around 2nd semester and with summer courses, I won’t be able to do anything. </p>

<p>I’m interested in going into film, so film studies/english of some kind is what I plan to study. I’ve heard film at American University is good, so I’ll look into that too, but I know that has some level of competitivness to it.</p>

<p>And Brandeis looks pretty cool, they have creative writing and film. But I dunno how good their program is, or how good they are at getting kids internships over the summer (in Hollywood or whatnot). But even if I knew enough about it, I know it’s a really competitive school, so where I am now I know I couldn’t get in. Same applies to GWU, but I know it’s easier to get into. And I’m looking at Loyola Marymount LA and Pepperdine now too, fairly small schools with film programs and located in LA, but I need to ask around and see if they are “overly” religious.</p>

<p>I’m not too interested in pure film schools (AFI, Calarts, etc), but even then I know those are based off auditions and portfolio much more than everything else.</p>

<p>And while I’m at it.</p>

<p>ECs</p>

<p>Kendo (three years, but almost four): first dan (First blackbelt pretty much).</p>

<p>Krav Maga (two years).</p>

<p>Poetry: I write poetry in my spare time, I have probably 500-600 poems electronically recorded and physically scribed. A bunch have been published, and I’ve won a couple scholarships from them. I also write, but to a lesser extent, short stories and essays, and I won a scholarship from an essay.</p>

<p>I tutor kids at my local library (three-four years).</p>

<p>I’m in deca now, and am going to state. Hope to make a bid for nationals.</p>

<p>Japanese honor society (three years), Honor society for two years but I quit this year because it’s a waste of time and not meaningful(3.00 with full IB and 5 hours community service, 3.5 not full and 15 hours community service).</p>

<p>Class schedule</p>

<p>IB
Philosophy
Bio
English
History
Japanese 300
Marketing and management</p>

<p>then my basic math class, which is now done with.</p>

<p>IMO the amount of leeway given to Hispanic students varies with each individual situation because Hispanics come from a wide range of circumstances. For instance, you might want to consider these types of factors to get a feel for how much of a bump in gpa or test scores you might get:</p>

<p>SES
educational level of parents
attend underserved HS
overcame adversity
M-A, PR or “other” country of origin
demonstrated interest in Hispanic culture/community</p>