How Much To Bring??

<p>crazed - thanks for the links! I think the suites are supposed to be a little nicer than the Towers. I hope so too! LOL
I got to see a little of the Mahoney bathroom in one of your pics. I see that there is a shower curtain, I wonder if the school provides that or if we have to? Does anyone know? I guess since it is a shared bathroom for 4, my s will need to figure out with the suitemates who will get what such as bathmat, rug, plunger, cleaning supplies ( I hope they use those!) etc.</p>

<p>My s has been in the suites, so he knows what they look like. It's me that gets obsessive and wants to be sure he has what he needs. If it was up to him....ugh, I can only imagine. His response to "Do you need this or that?" is "Whatever."</p>

<p>The walls are painted cinder block and my s used the sticky stuff to hang his posters.</p>

<p>Do the rooms in the towers come with a standard desk chair or the "delux" office type that is in Ladyc's photos ? DS spends more time in his chair on his computer than he does in his bed, so he would like to bring his from his bedroom if it is just a regular desk chair.</p>

<p>The rooms come with standard chairs. The one in the pic was brought from home. My S waited until the end of his freshman year to say that he would have liked a better chair...all he had to do was ask. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>I used a laptop lock when I left the room and my roommate was there in case he left the door open. YOu can hook it around the cross bar underneath your bed, that works well.</p>

<p>thanks for the info macowzke!
I want to order off of bed bath beyond and have them save the stuff for me at the closest store to UM , does anyone know which is the closest store? Thanks</p>

<p>We did the pack and hold already. I believe the closest store is Dadeland only a few miles away. Your BBB has the info on the closest stores. Have fun!</p>

<p>Yes, Dadeland Station is the closest, about 2 miles down RT1. There's also a Target, Best Buy, Sports Authority and Michael's at the same location which makes for great one-stop shopping.</p>

<p>Thanks Everyone,
Its getting so close now. Its very exciting!</p>

<p>We also did the 'pack and hold' for the BBB at Dadeland. If you go to the BBB website it will be listed. Go to your local BBB soon. It's first come first served so the sooner your order is placed the quicker they bag it for you in Miami. Anything you find at your local store not available in the Miami store will be sent by your store to the Miami store for you. (They'll tell you in minutes after they process your order in the system.) </p>

<p>Looks like the Miami store will be pretty crowded!</p>

<p>By the way, purchased a mattress pad but not the mattress cover (that encases the entire mattress.) Any thoughts? Should I buy one?</p>

<p>Yup def. get a mattress cover.. and you can also use a lap top lock if you're lofting your bed (it attaches to that).... lets see not sure if it's been mentioned but you can use double sided tape to hang stuff.... and you can get these rods at target that are like mini-shower curtain rods, that fit perfectly into the windows of Hecht and Stanford to hang curtains with... PB teen also has curtains that are long enough for those windows (Target's curtains are usually too short)</p>

<p>Oh and the vacuums that you can rent for free in Stanford and Hecht are AWFUL... It takes a semester just to learn how to get them to actually do their job, instead of just blowing the dirt everywhere... maybe it was just me though? ;) So I'd def. suggest getting a mini vacuum cleaner etc.</p>

<p>Bumping this very old thread for those who like to plan in advance :slight_smile: The picture links are still working - interesting desk chair in one…Does the _ let students bring their own chairs and remove the supplied one? (At S’s school students weren’t allowed to remove the desk chairs since there was no storage available for them). </p>

<p>D’s never done any schoolwork while sitting at a desk in her life (keeps everything piled up on the coffee table in the family room <a href=“https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1ftaqW0YY_KE8iY3sR51JYEsmUik797guuA2Qa5dL7g?feat=directlink[/url]”>https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1ftaqW0YY_KE8iY3sR51JYEsmUik797guuA2Qa5dL7g?feat=directlink&lt;/a&gt; but maybe that will change? Dindune - Hope this photo won’t make your D reconsider that roommate arrangement with IllinoisD93!)</p>

<p>IM93, yes, there is a number to call and they will remove your desk chair so you can use your own. My D did that this year. So cute two of CC D’s are living together :)</p>

<p>IM93, such a cute picture. Thanks for sharing! My diningroom table tends to look like that!
Seriously, D will be bringing her taskchair on casters. My S always put the chair in the closet and used it as a shelf. But, of course they can call Unico to have it removed, too.
I did ask D if she would be studying at her desk and she said yes she would because if she props herself up on her study pillow on the bed, she falls asleep every time! Of course there is also the 22 room which has been turned into a study room on the floor and if need be…the library!</p>

<p>…in the library, or under a palm tree on the green, or in a hammock swaying between 2 palm trees, or in a glider almost anywhere, or out at the RSMAS campus on an outdoor table overlooking the ocean…ahhhhh…zzzzzzzzzzzz - okay, scratch that last one… ;)</p>

<p>So funny to see this thread I started over 4 years ago… Since this time my son has graduated from the U (last May) and is in grad school.</p>

<p>Will be happy to answer questions along with the others.</p>

<p>By the way, the closets are big!! The dresser, however, is small. We purchased a hanging sweater(?) or closes rack (made of fabric and has shelves) that we stored all sons shorts in. You can purchase it at Target or BB&B.</p>

<p>Everyone knows to save all the BBB coupons… even expired and not sent to you? Bring a bunch down to the Dadeland BBB for pick up of your stuff. (You get to go through it before purchasing which is good as you order from your home BBB, see the dorm room and then head to BBB and will know what you really do an don’t need.)</p>

<p>Coming from afar. Ship directly from home, UPS, to the UPS store directly across from campus. Mark packages, “Hold for Pickup” and the date of pickup. They charge a fee. Call the store for info. Fly down and rent a large minivan to hold it all!</p>

<p>The dorms will (or at least had) not allowed many UPS packages for the first couple of weeks. They claimed to run out of room to store it all (big double dorms) so they’d refuse the items and had to have them redelivered and redelivered.</p>

<p>dumbo11- Thanks for the info on chair removal! Yet another one of those bureaucratic rules they have at our state flagship that we won’t have to worry about :slight_smile: </p>

<p>dindune - I talked to D about the chair/bed studying and she said she’ll probably try the chair too; she normally sits in that brown loveseat you can see right behind the “homework central” coffee table so she’s not used to studying in bed either. I’ll be PMing you in a bit about the frig/microwave situation!</p>

<p>zinc - wake up and check your email! </p>

<p>crazed - I found this thread by searching through your old posts : ) I’d noticed that you and my-3-sons check in here now and then to help new parents and students and knew there would be lots of great info there! I have not been saving those BBB coupons that arrive regularly but will start stockpiling them now. We will follow the advice to fly down and ship belongings. </p>

<p>I have always used Fed Ex Ground in the past to ship to S at our flagship, D at dance camp, etc… Looks like they have the same hold for pickup service UPS offers and the website says there is no extra charge for the service. I see three locations nearby - has anyone shipped to a FDX Office/Kinkos location near the []_[]?</p>

<p>Hi IllinoisMom- Long Island Mom here!</p>

<p>FDX sounds great. We paid $5 or $10 per box to hold at UPS. As long as Fed Ex picks up at your house, I’d do it. We shipped 4 huge boxes. We overbought up here… pillows, really nice comforter… all stuff you can get at BBB. Grandma bought a printer/fax/ scanner with the laptop, so we had to pack that up as well. If you are buying it yourself, purchase online and have it delivered to dorm after that week or two period. </p>

<p>Just be sure to rent that large car with some sort of hatch or big boxers will not fit in a car door (or in the car)! We had to keep the hatch open as well. Glad we didn’t have to go far.</p>

<p>Gave son two pieces of luggage, large and small. The small fit in large to keep in closet for trips.</p>

<p>Move-in was easy. They give you large laundry carts to wheel to you car. A couple of trips and you are done.</p>