How popular is 9th graders apply for 9th grade BS in US?

Got accpeted by 2 schools, but wl by first choice schools. wondering whether accept the offer, or just apply again next year.

You need to figure out how you will be a better applicant next year. Are you happy with your current, local 9th grade option? Maybe, just maybe, by being a year older, things will turn out differently.

Or maybe it won’t and the schools that said yes this time will not admit next year because it’s clear you don’t think they represent a great opportunity or fit.

Nobody can tell you what will happen and you need to be comfortable with either taking the risk or with attending one of the two schools where you have an acceptance.

I don’t believe so either. I will be turning 14 late September and I don’t think it has been an issue for any of the boarding schools I have applied to. As long as your child shows maturity in their interviews and essays, I don’t believe it would impact the results.

2 Likes

Can’t agree more. That’s what I am sturgling about.

I know Andover also has lots of older “repeat” students. “Repeat” in quote because not sure the repeats happened when applying to BS, or did so in middle school or earlier.

Impression is that Andover has more “repeats” than Exeter.

repeat is specific to boarding schools (you also just have older for the grade kids who are held back due to bdays or repeat K and then do a repeat yr at BS)

my daughter has 18 yr olds in her junior class on day 1 of school when she had just turned 16 bc they were held back earlier in ES/MS and then reclasses/repeated 9th or 10th grade upon entering BS - repeating just gives you another year of cool classes and another year to boost the GPA

i wonder what the % of each class / acceptance into the class are repeats for 9th/10th/11th grades respectively - that would be interesting to see by school

i will add - i wasnt sure what the value really was to being a repeat/reclass student - maybe for athletes and extra year of improvement/size? but for the classic student? an extra year of cool classes? i struggled to see what an additional year would do for my dd24 and dd26

I think repeaters have an edge in gaining acceptance at BS given interview is a big component of the application - most kids interview better when they are 14 years old than when they were 13. A year could make a huge difference in level of maturity at that age range.

oh i understand all that - but what value does it have to the student to do extra year really ? repeaters definitely have the edge when applying