How strong/influential is the Greek System at Alabama?

CyclonesGrad said:

That seems about right. I’d say the majority drop between the junior and senior year. I have no hard data, though.

As far as upperclassmen women rushing, a very small percentage - probably 3 or 4% - are sophomores. In 2014, less than 10 - not 10%, 10 - were juniors. No seniors rush, unless it is for the two sororities that do not participate in formal recruitment.

National Pan-Hellenic (historically black) fraternities and sororities conduct their membership recruitment in an entirely different manner.

2440 girls registered for recruitment; 2261 of those accepted bids on bid day, a 93% placement rate. These numbers take into account those who registered and did not show for recruitment, those who voluntarily dropped at some point in the process, those who were dropped in the process, and those who received a bid on bid day but chose not to accept it for any reason. However, there is a group (small percentage) who drop prior to being initiated as well.

Engineering and other STEM students are the least likely to rush. Often they don’t have the interest or time. I’m not insulting the other majors, but often STEM students have more lab work to do and that often doesn’t’ jive with Greek demands. Even with the mandatory study hours that Greek Houses require, that often won’t work well with lab demands or research demands.

Your children will be eng’g majors. They will find many non-Greeks amongst their classmates. However, there is a “co-ed Greek Engineering fraternity” that might interest them. It’s low cost, and could be fun since it’s co-ed.

I would also encourage your kids to apply to Emerging Scholars, since they will be premed.

More typically, the business majors, communications majors and majors located on the west side of campus are the ones that rush/pledge the typical social Greek houses. This isn’t 100% of course, but more typical.

Neither of my kids rushed. they felt no need to.

The stats for Greek membership can be misleading because the system has a highish drop out rate (dropping out of the Greek system, not the school). Even now, after rush happened, there are parents posting on the UA facebook page who are shocked at the cost, and I’m guessing that a number of those kids will either be dropping out before the bill is due in mid-Sept, or their parents will let them do this for a semester or two, and then that will be it.

@CyclonesGrad

<<<
She and one roommate did Camp 1831 and they all did Alabama Action.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

I strongly suggest that any non-rushing student do Camp 1831 or (if in honors) do Alabama Action or Outdoor Action.

Since AA and OA take place DURING rush week, the students aren’t rushing (may be a couple of exceptions). These two activities allow honors students to make friends with other non-greek incoming frosh.

Plus these are GREAT for OOS students.

Like M2CK pointed out, any of the demanding majors, such as STEM majors will most likely be incompatible with greek life. There are late evening labs, time spent in labs doing research, group projects, presentations. lots of study hours and group study sessions as well. usually STEM Majors also carry a heavy curriculum load, it’s not unheard of to have 18-21 hours per semester, especially if the student is double majoring or working towards two degrees. Generally, scholarship students like to get the most out of their scholarships.

About Greek life at Bama - what is “The Machine” that I’ve been hearing about?

The Machine are elected Greek-affiliated members of the SGA. Greeks vote as a bloc for Machine-backed candidates. In Alabama, Machine graduates populate the statehouse, business and all things important in Alabama.

From the UA FB page, it does appear the girls who didn’t rush are having a really tough time of it right now. From the advice here, @mom2coIIegekids, I sent in the housing deposit even before DS decided to attend. I felt the loss of that money was far better than not having the chance to chose his own room/roommates.

So far that has paid off tremendously. None of the guys rushed, all of them are getting along & hanging out together. They are also all OOS. He is enjoying his time there so far. He is in COE. Not too busy yet, but I am sure that will change.

Re: #27. Last year, I don’t recall there being “issues” with girls who didn’t rush, as many of them made great friends during Honors Action and/or Camp 1831 and/or they got involved fairly quickly with other types of groups/clubs. The only problem I remember hearing about via the parents FB page was that a couple of girls who lived in Tut and did not rush felt “left out”. I’m sure that a lot of the freshmen girls who did not rush this fall will find PLENTY of great things to do! Get on Board Day was last Thursday and that suddenly provides new students with TONS of options. It can take a little time and effort to make friends…and sometimes people think it is or should be “instant”.

There’s always a lull in between move in and classes/clubs getting in full swing. Students who don’t already have a friend group might feel especially lonely at this time. By late September/Early October students will be so busy with classes, clubs, and other activities that the first month blues will seem like a far off memory.

I will also say that many of the people one first befriends on campus will not be all the same friends one has as a senior or even at the end of freshman year. Always be on the lookout for potential new friends; one can always have a new friend.