How to choose your first-choice college for National Merit purposes

When BU require you to name them as the top choice for NMF award? Most schools give until end of April (although some are as early as March 30th). You can leave your 1st choice (for NMF) as Undecided until you make a final decision.

But, yea, it can be tough if the school wants you commit earlier than the regular deadline.

If USC admits you, you WILL get the NMF half tuition scholarship. It’s just that USC does not admit all NMFs. My D is at USC on the NMF scholarship. BU basically does the same thing, but are even pickier as to which NMFs they want.

@vistajay, so one would put either USC or BU as first choice school but if the school does not accept them is there still time to name another NMF school?

@Tribruin BU requires you to designate them by March 1. Even though we will not get an admission decision til late March.

@TexasMom2017 Ouch, that is pretty rough. Sorry to hear that. Good luck to your son.

“BU requires you to designate them by March 1. Even though we will not get an admission decision til late March.”

maybe so, BUT your final choice can be changed to ANY other college before the NM FINAL May deadline.

"so one would put either USC or BU as first choice school but if the school does not accept them is there still time to name another NMF school? "
Yes

“I don’t know where you find the info that says they will get the scholarship; I see no such guarantee.:”

It has ALWAYS said that- for years now, but NMF’s DO always receive the 1/2 tuition scholarship, IF they are accepted, AND enroll AND notify NMC that USC is their final first choice before the early May deadline.

"Both schools require that the applicant choose their school as first choice by March 1st. "

utter rubbish, as far as USC is concerned.
the FINAL first choice decisions , which NM has to have by early May , and then are complied and transmitted to USC by NMC, is the ONLY NMF LIST that USC cares about. There are THOUSANDS of NMF’s who apply to USC.
Many let the admissions office know that they are NMF’s but it wont materially affect their chances of getting a scholarship

I had a long email conversation with the head of admissions about this very issue, [ DS was a NMF and a Trustee Scholar at USC and he told me that they could NOT care less if a student declares USC their first choice prior to when they get the list, in Late May, of NMF’ who have declared USC to be their final first choice.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I re-read the info on the NMSC website, and then spoke with someone at NMSC this morning to confirm. What I read and was told by NMSC was that they will not actually mail any scholarship offers until May 1 – so, up til April 30, you can change your college designation without having to worry about getting a scholarship from a college that you do not want to attend. This was a huge relief and rather different than what I’d heard from BU. Thanks again to everyone who responded to try to help clarify this - I appreciate your help.

@TexasMom2017 as an NMF your S may be competitive for the presidential at BU anyways - provided application was submitted by the Dec 1 scholarship deadline.

@MA2012 that’s what I’m hoping! thanks

Would love if anyone who has researched this thoroughly could tell me if I’ve got this right!

My son was just named NMF and had already applied to OU and ASU, leaning heavily towards ASU. Now that he’s officially NMF he started wanting to look at more schools (ugh) and is looking at Kentucky and UT Dallas.

I called Kentucky and found that he’d missed the 12/15 application deadline, but they waive that for NMF. Unfortunately, they don’t waive the deadline to apply for the Honors College, and getting in is not automatic. (They got 3300 apps for 500 spots).

However the admission person I spoke with told me that once they’ve gotten a list of NMF who had designated Kentucky as their top choice, they would try to open up the Honors application to those students. She said this would happen sometime in March or April.

On the NMSC site (I think), I read that the first wave of “first choice” designations gets sent out March 1st (today).

Yesterday I had my son change his 1st choice designation from ASU to Kentucky in the hopes of kicking off the process to allow him to apply to the Honors College there.

My assumptions were:

• if he doesn’t get in to the Honors College, he won’t want to to go to Kentucky
  • he can switch his first choice designation through the end of April

Is my thinking correct on this?

Thanks

I think you need to call NMSC and find out when the NEXT wave of “first choice” lists are mailed to colleges.
IF there is another mailing to colleges in early April, then he can change his first choice to Kentucky.
If the NEXT mailing is the one in mid May, when students are expected to list their FINAL first choice college- the one they committed to enrolling by the May 1 deadline, then he is out of luck .

@datahead You can still apply to Honors in KY the sophomore year. My son goes there for Merit week, if you want more info on lovely Lexington, KY

^:)^ KY sent Letter that MAY 1 is deadline to ACCEPT the NMF offer

@datahead We are looking at both KY and UT Dallas. He will see KY in person very soon! if anyone goes to UT Dallas, please share your impression