How to evaluate nursing programs

<p>After spending last year helping my son go through the college application process, I am trying to help my niece navigate the process. She is interested in nursing, probably at a school in the state of Michigan. Any guidance as to where to start and what to consider when comparing programs? How competitive are the admissions to nursing programs?</p>

<p>My D is looking at nursing schools. We’ve been using the NCLEX 1st-time pass rate as a was to compare programs. (NCLEX is the national test that must be passed to become an RN. After you complete your BSN, you still need to pass the NCLEX.) We figure that a school must do a good job of preparing their students if the 1st-time pass rate is 90% or above. I found a lot of data for Pennsylvania schools posted at allnursesdotcom.</p>

<p>Another thing to consider is whether or not you are admitted into the nursing program as a freshman. At some schools, you have to take two years of pre-reqs and then apply to the nursing program to start your junior year. My D is only looking at schools that will accept her into the nursing dept as a freshman…why have the stress of applying again in two years?</p>

<p>^^ this is fantastic information-thanks for the help. I am also wondering about admissions criteria, specifically standardized test scores. Her GPA is solid, but she’s only taken the ACT and scored in the low 20s. I am unsure whether to advise her to retake it, or maybe take the SAT in the fall. Thoughts?</p>

<p>My D took the SAT twice and the ACT once. She did better on the second SAT that the first, and scored well (29 composite) on her first ACT. I think she would probably improve the ACT with a second testing, but D has had enough.</p>

<p>Maybe you should have your D try some practice SAT’s to see if she likes that format better than the ACT. I’ve heard that some kids do better on one than the other (although in my D’s case, her ACT score is “equivalent” to her SAT score). If your D doesn’t want to try the SAT, I would encourage her to take the ACT again. Most kids do at least a little better the second time around.</p>

<p>I’m not familiar with any nursing schools in MI, but I think if your D only has the one ACT score in the low 20’s many of the top-ranked nursing programs on the East coast would be a reach for her. It’s hard to know for sure, since data on nursing admits is usually not readily available. The stats for the school in general might not reflect the stats for the school of nursing.</p>

<p>Thanks again. You are confirming my thoughts. It’s actually not my D which makes things a little tricky. She would need financial assistance (has to pay for school herself) and needs a little more guidance navigating the process than her mom can provide, which is why I am stepping in. I like your thought about the SAT prep books-we still have some from my son around.</p>

<p>Sorry – I didn’t read carefully to see that it’s your niece who wants to be a nurse. </p>

<p>Since you say that the niece will have to pay for school herself, I’ll pass along a suggestion from the parents’ forum. There are nursing programs affiliated with hospitals that pay for your schooling if you agree to work for them for a couple of years. (Look on the parents’ forum for a post by rocket6louise – it’ll be on the last page or so since it posted today 7/13).</p>

<p>Thanks again Mrsref! CC was such a help to me over the last year, and now it continues to be. I will explore the hospital paid program locally. I know the state of Michigan offers a scholarship good at several schools that covers $4k per year, which could really help. I think it requires recipients to work in the field within the state after graduation. My niece has expressed interest in becoming a nurse anesthetist (drawn by the money), but I think general nursing would be a logical first step. She is independent, smart and compassionate, so I think she’s headed in the right direction with nursing. She took a health occ class and was able to witness a C section which she said was “an awesome experience,” so she has an idea what she’d be getting into too.</p>