How to gauge schools' mental health supports -- figuring out the "wellness factor"?

That’s a beautiful facility:

5 Likes

My D was offered a spot in Washington State University’s Honors College today. On the subject of general mental health and well-being, one of the things highlighted in the offer was the optional MESI certificate program, which we thought was really cool:

https://honors.wsu.edu/mesi/

3 Likes

Wow that’s so cool! They should teach that to all college students – high school and younger (and older) too!

And yay congrats to your D how exciting!! :tada: Sounds like it will be a great option!

Thanks so much, great timing – HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thank you and everyone on this forum for all your help! :pray:

2 Likes

Wow! Change out the race and you’ve described my D and her/our concerns exactly. Good luck to us!

1 Like

Our plan, right now is for D to continue care via telehealth and transition to a local resource once she finds the ‘right’ school.

1 Like

Yes, good luck to our girls (and us!)! What schools is your D applying to?

It’s been such a tough 2 years, I’m glad my D understands how important it is for her to find a school where she will be supported and can truly thrive. Many of her friends (and their parents) are still fixated on school name/brand and it’s hard to separate from that mindset if that’s all you hear at school.

Glad there are so many on CC who’ve helped me break away from that and look at the bigger picture when checking out options. Good luck to us all!!

2 Likes

Mid Atlantic schools (we’re in the Pacific Northwest):
Temple, Drexel, Pitt, St. John’s, American, Penn State, Rutgers-NB, GWU

1 Like

Are these schools that are recommended for good health mental services, or is this an advisory to be wary of them?

I’ll let her answer, but I think those are the schools @WakandaMom’s daughter applied to. I’m not sure if she picked them specifically for their good mental health services, but I imagine they are not schools that she’d avoid for those reasons.

Of that list, my D also applied to Pitt. She was accepted and we are visiting next month and are hopeful that that school is a place with balanced, happy kids and that the school supports are good. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

D chose her schools based on academics and her stats. We’ve been visiting schools for ‘fit.’

1 Like

D does not have a decision yet for Pitt (very much a reach school). however, we visited and we both thought the students were super friendly there and really liked the city.