How to get into UM

<p>I spoke with an admissions officer for about 20 minutes today in regard to my application and why I was deferred into RD pool.</p>

<p>She gave me a pretty good understanding of what is needed and what UM looks for.</p>

<p>In terms of SAT scores she said their target range and what they generally look for is about 1260-1360 (CR+M). (630avg-680avg)</p>

<p>GPA varies because schools all have different weighting policies and such but ideally an applicant would be in at least the top 20% of their class, even better if they make the top 10.</p>

<p>Also, SAT and Class rank can be mix and matched. Meaning a higher class rank can make up for a below average SAT. </p>

<p>They look that students took a rigorous course load, not necessarily the absolute hardest available, but not far from it.</p>

<p>She also said its not uncommon that they admit students slightly below these marks, but if you do satisfy all these things your chances are very high. </p>

<p>Lastly as far as subjective factors are concerned (ecs, recs, essays) she said they often serve as a tipping factor that can make or break a borderline applicants decision. </p>

<p>Just thought Id share this conversation I had and I hope it helps! </p>

<p>One thing to remember though is that these stats will probably be incorrect within a year or two, as UM is becoming more and more competitive at a pretty rapid rate.</p>