How to get past the prestige issue

@Salesboy - My son at Texas A&M had a set of triplets in his HS class; all three are now sophomores at Brown. (Great kids!) Both their parents are doctors, but they must still swallow awfully hard when they write tuition checks.

Actually it is pretty easy to transfer to an elite school after freshman year if your grades are good and you can write the check. Knock yourself out.

I dare ssjr16 to tell this person their undergrad degree from a non Ivy is not prestigious enough. LOL!
I’d say his annual salary of $8.2M is pretty prestigious!

Stephen F. Angel
Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer
Praxair, Inc.
Steve Angel is chairman, president and CEO of Praxair, Inc., a Fortune 250, $12.3 billion industrial gases company of 28,000 employees operating in over 50 countries. He became chairman in May 2007 and has been president and chief executive officer since January 2007.

Angel joined Praxair in 2001 as executive vice president, responsible for Praxair’s businesses in North America, Europe and Asia, as well as for Healthcare. He was named president and chief operating officer in February 2006.

Prior to joining Praxair, Angel spent 22 years in a variety of management positions with General Electric.

Angel serves on the board of directors of PPG Industries and the U.S.-China Business Council. He is a member of the executive committee of The Business Council and serves on the U.S.-Brazil CEO Forum.

A native of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Angel received a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from North Carolina State University and an MBA from Loyola College in Baltimore.

Praxair, Inc., a Fortune 250 company with 2014 sales of $12.3 billion, is the largest industrial gases company in North and South America and one of the largest worldwide. The company produces, sells and distributes atmospheric, process and specialty gases, and high-performance surface coatings. Praxair products, services and technologies are making our planet more productive by bringing efficiency and environmental benefits to a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, chemicals, food and beverage, electronics, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, primary metals and many others.

The new Boeing CEO started out as an engineering intern from Iowa State. Imagine how well he might have done if could have gone to Cornell. http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2015/06/24/new-boeing-ceo-started-as-intern-and-hes-not-the-only-one/

Poor guys! They could be doing so much better! They really did sell themselves short. :wink:

My husband with his degree from the non prestigious University of Texas at Arlington could put someone in contact with Mr. Angel. Just not good enough… sigh Mr. Angel and his staff came after my DH for a reason. Had not one thing to do with the name on the piece of paper hanging in his office.

Not sure @ssjr16 is listening anymore. I’ve enjoyed the back and forth. One thing I’m not sure I am on board with, though, and that’s the whole ABET accreditation. I never heard of it before CC, and I graduated from UofM engineering and have hired engineers. I may be wrong, but I feel like it’s like the EnergyStar rating…nice, but just fluff that doesn’t mean much. For instance, MichSt is starting a Biomedical Engineering program, which I would not hesitate sending my D17 to even though it’s not ABET for at least 5 years. There may be other reasons, but ABET ain’t one. Is it important only because some hiring managers feel that way?

"I can’t tell you how many doctors and attorneys have told me that no one cares in the slightest where they went to college, just where they went to medical school or law school. " - So very true. So why spend $100Ks on an UNDERGRADUATE degree when you can get a great education at a much lower cost & STILL be able to go to a good graduate school? It’s very encouraging to read all the success stories here from UA grads.

PE accreditation is going to typically require an ABET accredited degree. http://ncees.org/audience-landing-pages/students/ I can’t think of anyone we know working as a chemE w/o an ABET degree. (Both dh and ds are chemEs.)

I’m not an engineer, but I work with many and I’ve been familiar with ABET for as long as I can recall. My son’s a Civ-E major and pursuing his PE will be important in advancing his career, so I wouldn’t have considered sending him to any program that wasn’t ABET accredited.

“My wife and I both attended an Ivy league school. Both of my wife’s parents attended and Ivy league school.”

Well there’s your argument, both parents went to IVY league school but could only afford to send their child to Alabama.

@ssjr16 that is extremely rude of you to say such thing. Are you insinuating that he’s incompetent because he can only afford his children to Ualabama??

Plus, since you seem to have decided that Ualabama is not a good fit for you, why not just say you aren’t going so that we don’t have to be here??

@ssjr16 Actually, that is not true and I am not sure why you say that. My wife and I have been fortunate. That doesn’t mean we don’t look for value.

No one should go to college with a snob who thinks she’s too good to be there. If I were UA Admissions, I would tell @ssjr16 “Thanks but no thanks.” Based on her other posts on CC, it should be easy to identify her.

ssjr16 is going to have a LONG row to hoe, as the old saying goes, if they seriously believe that the only way for one to be successfull is based on the prestige of a school one attended for undergrad.

Yes, the comment by ssgr is very uncalled for and beyond rude. I’m sorry, but some smart mouthed 16-17 year old that thinks they are better than others and should only consider schools based on some false level of pretige is nothing more than a snotty nosed brat. Good luck landing a job with that attitude! Have fun in that pretigious unemployment line when a firm that is not prestigious enough does not hire you. Have fun with the mounting debt while peers that made wise financial decisions chose a school based on value are graduating debt free and able get ahead at a faster pace.

Smart people with money actually are very careful with how they spend their money. These are the folks that are very wise and one should take notice of their advice.

ssjr, you really do need to leave as it is very apparent that the grown adults with real wolrd experience are too much for you. Your smart mouth comments are not needed and as another posted, I hope the schools you are looking at take notice and realize they may not want someone with such issues on their hands.

There are a lot of people who chase prestige in their lives. My parents were always a family who like to ‘keep up with the Joneses’. I’m certain they are somewhat disappointed that both myself and my sister have chosen to live fairly basic lives in very rural areas. I once worked with someone who knew a realtor that worked in my parents neighborhood, she would talk about stories she’d heard of families that had purchased million dollar homes, but then couldn’t furnish them because they had no money left for furnishings.

Young adults who have grown up learning that how you appear to others is the most important thing are too young and inexperienced in life to know better. Hopefully maturity, experience, and guidance will help them decide what to value.

Personally my issue is with mature adults feeling the need to belittle young adults on this site even if we disagree with their views.

Guess you missed the point @ssjr16; the Ivy League parents AND their Alabama child will be about $220,000 (without interest) richer than the cousins who went the way of ‘prestige’. @Salesboy and his family will be laughing off into the sunset. :smiley:

@goinggoing That is the plan…

My doctor friend with three kids at Brown will pay about $600,000 just in tuition over four years. I will have three sons in college at about the same time (our boys are “Irish” triplets). We will pay about $40,000 in tuition for them over four years. All three are or will be studying engineering and all three should have good jobs when they finish school.

Now Brown is a good school, but its engineering college is only ranked 41st among PhD schools, behind Iowa State and tied with Arizona State. Would my three kids be any better off if they’d gone to Brown or Cornell to study engineering and my wife and I ended up $560,000 poorer?

It baffles me that grown adults need to constantly belittle others choices. It screams of insecurity. As if you have to justify your decision to others and yourself. If someone has the means and they would like to send their child to a higher priced schoool good for them. Everyone has reasons for their decisions and this constant comparing how much others are paying and laughing at them is very odd.

@2016collegebound I do not think people are laughing but maybe trying to understand the rationale and fiscal responsibility. This is not belittling by ant means. I think there is no way everyone in this world is making $150K+ and can send there children to high priced schools.

What do you mean by means, cash or borrowing? I personally know many that have taken out personal Parent Plus loans or loans from JUF to send their kids to schools they cannot afford. This is an epidemic that is going to cause a lot of pain. People need to get rational about how much they can afford.

This is no laughing matter and people are not paying this out of pocket. The money is coming from loans, the above and home equity and retirement savings. Who will pay all of the money back when the borrowers, parents, pass away with the loans still on the books? Who will take care of the retirees who have nothing because they spent it to send their children to college?

There is a day of reckoning coming for sure.