How to get started on my USC,UCLA, and NYU dramatic writing portfolio

<p>I am currently a sophomore in high school and writing scripts for tv shows and movies is my passion. Now that I am approaching my junior year I know it is about time to start my portfolio for usc,ucla, and nyu's dramatic writing programs. In my portfolios I need must submit examples of dramatic writing creating only by myself (no collaboration). I've been writing scripts in my free time throughout the year but I have a few questions.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>How can I gain experience in dramatic writing ? So that when I apply I can list that I have had prior experience in this field.</p></li>
<li><p>How is someone typically hired as a screenwriter ? (Through connections, applications, etc,)</p></li>
<li><p>How can I better myself as a dramatic writer/screenwriter ?</p></li>
<li><p>How often should I be writing scripts ?</p></li>
<li><p>Are there any other majors I could study along with dramatic writing in college ? (English, psychology,etc.)</p></li>
<li><p>How long does it typically take someone to get hired to write for a tv show ?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Hi dreamwriter! I’m not a screenwriter, but I am a writer (novellas, short stories, etc.)! </p>

<p>Unfortunately (but at the same time - fortunately), when it comes to something like a career in Hollywood, there are an INFINITE number of paths for you to go down. In terms of how often you should be writing/how to better yourself, it sucks, but all you need to do is WRITE. With something that relies heavily on creative flow, it’s difficult to set a quota (especially when you don’t have a motivator like money or a deadline). Just write as often as you can.
I would also suggest that you find a class or a summer program. USC has a summer program for screenwriting (which is currently full - so make sure to jump on the bandwagon early for next summer!) and I’m not sure about UCLA or NYU. If you live near LA, there should definitely be some way for you to take a night-class or a weekend class. I think doing so would be extremely beneficial. It would also provide you opportunities for experience.
ALSO - this advice goes for anything you want to do. If you want to get good at something, find someone who is as good as you want to be (or better) and talk to them. OR watch their stuff. Watch your favorite shows and find which elements of the script you liked.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if you’re still looking for advice but…

1. You gain experience in writing by writing. Just write. Write spec TV show scripts and/or screenplays and/or plays. You don’t need to be hired and given a task in order to get some scripts written. Also, read. Read scripts, read books on writing. I recommend Vogler’s Writer’s Journey and Snyder’s Save the Cat.
  2. Some new writers get noticed for shorts/a web series and get bigger projects sold that way. Some finish school and have pitch meetings set up by their university. Some use their writing samples (see #1) and get agents who aid them. Some are related to people. There are lots of ways. But you gotta have something to show to get your foot in the door and then have the skills in place to stay there and continue to produce good work. Training and practice.
  3. Train and practice. :wink:
  4. A writer writes. All the time.
  5. Playwriting. Cinema Arts. Dramatic Arts. Creative Writing. Poetry. Science. Math. Law. Engineering. Psychology. Travel. Painting. Living. Everything you do/experience in life is going to help make your life and your writing more interesting.
  6. Some people get hired early in their careers. Others take longer. It’s not as scientific a path as… well, science.</p>

<p>(MFA Year One Playwright, USC)</p>