How to get to UA

<p>I know this is probably a silly question, but I can’t figure out how students get to and from the Birmingham Airport to UA. (is that where most students fly into?) Do most take taxi’s or is there a shuttle?
We are in AZ and just doing some research because D would most likely receive the NMF Scholarship… looks like a good school to consider for Pre-Med?</p>

<p>Yes, there is a shuttle from the Bham airport to Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>It can be confusing. Here is some info from housing regarding the shuttle.
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/shuttle.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/shuttle.cfm)</p>

<p>Thanks so much, it really was confusing. Not a lot of info. on how to get there, especially coming from another State and having no idea about the South at all. So thanks!</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Yes, students usually take shuttles to and from the airport.</p>

<p>Are you going to visit?</p>

<p>Please post in our Roll Call thread! :)</p>

<p>This thread shows you where some Bama families are from…This year’s freshman class is over 50% out of state!
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Bama has very good pre-med advising & does Committee Letters
<a href=“http://premed.ua.edu/[/url]”>http://premed.ua.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We just received the NMF letter yesterday from UA. It was not on our list of schools to consider, but since the package is so good, we thought some research would be worthwhile. Looks like a beautiful campus and the Honors Program sounds really good as well. Not thinking about a visit quite yet, but possibly in the new year.
Thank you for the nice welcome… I hear great things about the South. It is just so far from AZ. :(</p>

<p>Kinda unrelated, but how’s the weather in AZ? I’ve heard some pretty bad things, lol :D</p>

<p>We moved here from Canada, so we are not complaining about the weather here. Summer is a little hot of-course, but we don’t complain about the rest of the year. A little worried about the humidity in Alabama…???</p>

<p>I’ve talked to someone who went to Tuscaloosa in July and it was very humid. I doubt it it worse than it is here in Florida, though.</p>

<p>josieP… originally from canada also, now living in alabama, humidity can get pretty bad during the summer…july and august is the worst. but at least we do have 4 distinct seasons here…fall and spring are quite nice.</p>

<p>if you make a trip to birmingham on the way to T’town…check out UAB it also has full rides for nmf students…hit 2 schools on one trip Different type school and campus, different vibe</p>

<p>RE: humidity…</p>

<p>Thankfully, Bama has pushed back its schedule a bit so school starts later, so only a few short weeks with humidity. It’s generally gone by mid-Sept…then the weather is really nice. Fall and Spring are super! In Fall the leaves are turning colors…and in the Spring the tulips are blooming and the flowering hardwood trees are blooming. During the summer, the crepe myrtles are blooming.</p>

<p>Winters can get cold, but not anything like Midwest or Northeast. Many winter days will still have sunny-looking blue skies with fluffy white clouds, but you’ll still need a jacket! So, the sunny-looking weather can be deceiving! lol</p>

<p>Alabama doesn’t get much snow…usually just some snow flurries, although it has had a few inches of snow the last few years. </p>

<p>About 47% of students are from OOS…this fall’s frosh class is over 50% OOS. Bama enrolled 182 NMF frosh this last fall. :)</p>

<p>The Bama campus is beautiful…Don’t know if you’ve seen much in pics or videos…</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences “This is How College is Meant to Be” - YouTube](<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube)</p>

<p>If you decide to visit Bama, this is what you need to do…</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online… try for the early morning one…avoid Saturday tours because there aren’t any faculty on campus to meet. Mondays are good, but any weekday is fine as well as long as Bama isn’t closed that day.
[Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>If you come for a visit, rent a car at the B’ham airport and then head West on I-20. Tuscaloosa is right off the I-20. :)</p>

<p>Wow, thanks!!!
D just finished the app, but was unable to get the MyBama account set up because she does not have the CWID, we are guessing she will receive that in a little bit and will be able to finish the application to the Honors College? The application process was sure confusing, but we’ll get through it. :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone for helping us with the weather there, my D wants 4 seasons, but not too crazy, so it sounds perfect! :slight_smile: The video of the campus is amazing to say the least. Looking forward to find out if this is truly the place for her. Putting in quite a few application to a variety of schools, so time will tell.<br>
Thanks for all your help.</p>

<p>Josie P, the last two years I’ve flown overnight from Phoenix to Birmingham for the start of the fall semester. It’s a really easy set of flights that has one leaving Phoenix at midnight and arriving in Birmingham at 9:30am after a 90 minute connection.</p>

<p>It’s nice to see people originally from Canada considering UA. Some of my friends and I are from border states (WA in my case) and like the feeling of being young snowbirds who still get to experience all 4 seasons in Alabama.</p>

<p>JosieP- you will get an email soon with info on how to get into MyBama. There you can fill out the scholarship app, which is basically checking a box since your D is a NMSF. Once she is officially accepted, she can fill out the Honors app which took me all of 15 minutes. Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>but was unable to get the MyBama account set up because she does not have the CWID, we are guessing she will receive that in a little bit and will be able to finish the application to the Honors College? The application process was sure confusing, but we’ll get through it.</p>

<p>1) in a day or two you’ll get the follow-up email with the CWID.</p>

<p>2) THEN, you submit the scholarship app.</p>

<p>3) After you’re accepted to the school (which won’t take long), then the links will appear so you can apply to the Honors College.</p>

<p>Thanks all, you have been very helpful!</p>