How to know if nursing is for me?

To the OP: My daughter, who graduated high school in 2014, chose to become CNA certified her Sophomore year. Unfortunately, she was not accepted into her school’s super competitive nursing program, so changed her major to health science administration with a business admin minor. She now works full time as a CNA and graduates this Spring. The place she works at has already expressed interest for her to go into the admin side when she graduates. She will be 22. Her plan is to work in admin then revisit nursing later through a post-bacc nursing program.

@ordinary Doesn’t make sense why they wouldn’t do BSN then.

The point of taking HS classes or volunteering is to see if you like something. Clearly you like the idea of it, but not the reality of it. There is nothing wrong with Accounting. We need accountants and nurses.

@ordinarylives : Doctors offices use Nursing Technicians aka. CNA’s or Certified Nursing assistants or LVN’s to take vitals and patient history.

A Med Tech or Medical Technologist also know as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist is a 4 year degree/1 year clinical internship and also requires a licensing exam and many work in Hospital/Outpatient and Reference Laboratories. Just clarifying the appropriate names of many hard working individuals.

Also there are Medical office assistants that schedule/handle insurance paperwork etc…

I believe some of the comments above were refering to “Medical Assistants”.

http://www.aama-ntl.org/medical-assisting

These programs are offered at many community colleges. Many people start with this program, which is cheaper and less competitive for admission than RN programs, and then they later take nursing courses as they are working.