How to learn more about fraternities

<p>As a parent of an incoming OOS freshman for 2013, I am curious about exactly how to obtain information about the different fraternities at UA. My DS, who I thought would want nothing to do with fraternities, went to a UA info session at his high school where greek life was discussed and now has decided that it “sounds like fun”. My husband and I were both greek in college and I have no issues with the greek system per se, but the thread about the hazing and consequent suspension of pledgeship has been concerning. </p>

<p>My DS will major in computer science and be in the honors college, and so far has not been a partier at all. How do I find out which fraternities are the more academically minded, less party minded, no hazing, etc.? I know there is such a thing as Old Row and New Row fraternities, but I don’t know which fraternities are which (I’m assuming that as a jewish kid from Philly, Old Row fraternities are out). I have been looking at the UA Greek Life and IFC sites, but it doesn’t seem like those will help differentiate the fraternities much (although the GPA info seems helpful).</p>

<p>It is also unlikely that he will be able to participate in any activities next spring or summer before school starts - does this mean he will need to wait to pledge till sophomore year if he decides to? I’m thinking that might be better anyway since it will give him time to settle in and see if he even wants to participate, but I’m wondering if he would have any options for freshman year if he does decide he wants that.</p>

<p>I realize that I am probably jumping the gun here, but I still would appreciate any information or direction. Feel free to PM me if you’d rather.</p>

<p>As always, thanks for the wealth of information that so many of you generously share on this board. Roll tide! :)</p>

<p>[Greek</a> Affairs](<a href=“Fraternity and Sorority Life”>Fraternity and Sorority Life)</p>

<p>My DS is also attending next year-plans to be at a few fall rush aprties- assuming that parties will still go on…</p>

<p>I would suggest that y’all attend the IFC Preview Weekend which in the past has been held the same weekend in March as Panhellenic Preview Weekend. I do not have a son in a fraternity but have a daughter in a sorority who has been dating a fraternity boy since the first day of school Freshmen year (they are both juniors). With the recent events I am sure there will be some changes to the system…whether that will impact bids in the Spring and summer as well as rush parties during that time I think it’s too early to tell. In the past parties are held during the Spring and Summer. They are by invitation. If your sons have a family member or know someone who is in a fraternity that call any of the chapters and ask that they be invited to these parties I would have them do this in February or March. In the past bids were not given at IFC Preview Weekend. However they have been given as early as Beta Lei, Lambda Chi Luau which occur in April. Bids will be given throughout the summer with a few remaining for Fall Rush . If you wait for Fall Rush just know that your options might be limited. If your sons want to talk with a fraternity member pm.</p>

<p>I don’t think IFC Preview Weekend or parties in the spring or summer are realistic for us. This system is definitely not designed for OOS students, that’s for sure! We don’t know anyone in any fraternities right now and my husband’s fraternity is not at UA. I guess DS will need to take his chances in the fall. </p>

<p>Is there a way to find out which fraternities are more open to OOS students with no connections? I realize people don’t like to name fraternities on the forum, which is why I suggested PM’s. With the amount of Greek life discussion on this forum, I was surprised to only get a couple of PM’s so far. I kind of expected to be inundated, but I guess this is a harder question than I thought. :)</p>

<p>Lisa…let me set your mind at ease. We are from chicago…my D is a sorority freshman. When I read your cc post I knew we were going to be skyping. So I added it to my list of things to ask her about. Her reply was that she knows quite a few out of state boys who did not know anything about fraternity life before they came to campus. A few reached out to houses that they had read about on the UA site and others were contacted during the summer and talked to different people. There is a process and it works. </p>

<p>You might have your son take a look at the houses online, get a feel for their philanthropy and what they support. Reach out to them via email. </p>

<p>One friend of ours did not meet anyone from a fraternity until he came to campus for Bama Bound in early June…he was extended a bid. My D has also become close friends w/ a soph from chicago…he did also join a house and D says that he is really happy with it.</p>

<p>I think that much of the focus is the ‘older’ fraternities w/ strong Southern ties. Just like the sororities, there are old row and new row houses. Seems to my very inexperienced eye that the new row in both are very very open to OOS kids. Some of the old row are a little more traditional.</p>

<p>I’m sure that there are many more mom’s/dad’s w/ sons who will have better info then I do, I’m just trying to put your mind at ease…</p>

<p>Thanks Buzymom. I’m honestly not that stressed about it - more curious than anything. I don’t think DS is set on either joining or not joining, so however it works out is fine. I was just surprised when I tried to look into it at how difficult it was to get any information about specific fraternities. I still have no idea which are “old row” and which are “new row”, and looking at the info online gives only the vaguest clue about what any specific fraternity is like. That’s why I can’t really understand how anyone can make any meaningful decisions ahead of time about which fraternities to contact, etc.</p>

<p>Lisa, my son is from the Chicago suburbs and he’s being initiated this weekend. </p>

<p>My son did his homework his senior year and had a bid when he went down for orientation in early June. He contacted several rush chairman at individual houses, went to Greek Preview weekend, and received invitations to spring and summer events from several very good fraternities. He went to three events, two parties and one river float retreat. Those events allowed him to get to know many of the men from those houses and the men had the opportunity to get to know him. The process may not be “designed” for OOS kids but it does work. </p>

<p>My son’s roommates, all three from Northern states, didn’t do what he did but they went to parties once school started and my son introduced his roommates to his fraternity. All three received bids to two different houses. </p>

<p>If your son is outgoing he shouldn’t have any problem getting a bid if he waits until the fall. I would suggest that he contact the individual fraternities in late spring or early summer even if he can’t make it to a spring or summer event. If they know he’s interested it will be better for him. </p>

<p>The process in the SEC schools is different than the Northern schools but it works. One of the many awesome things about Bama are it’s traditions. Embrace them and they will embrace you.</p>

<p>The old row fraternities are SAE, DKE, KA, Phi Gamma Delta (Phi Gam; don’t call them FIJI at UA), Sigma Nu, Phi Delta Theta. Honestly, no chance at any of these with the possible exception of Phi Delta Theta, but don’t sweat it. Some of the best houses on campus at the present time are new row houses and all of those are candidates for your son. </p>

<p>If you are looking for a house that really stresses academics, I would have him check out ATO. They are 1st or 2nd in fraternity gpa year in/year out. Also, because you mentioned that he is jewish, have him check out ZBT.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the info and insight.</p>

<p>If you want to see fairly current GPA info for fraternitites: Go to the Greek Affairs page on UA website, then to Resources tab.</p>

<p>My son just finished pledging ZBT, OOS, Long Island, NY. It was the best experience and he loves his brothers! If you want more info, PM me.</p>