How to make my Common App essay stand out?

Hi all,

I’ve been brainstorming Common App essay topics with the help of College Essay Guy’s favorite prompt, “Describe the world you come from and how it has shaped your dreams and aspirations.” The first few things that come to mind when I think about the world I come from is my parents’ divorce, living with a single parent, and my cultural heritage with my single parent being a first-generation immigrant. I’ve heard that these topics are all very overdone in college essays (even though a few turn out compelling) and I’m struggling to determine how to frame my interests/hobbies (environment, art, creative writing/journalism, activism) and values (hope, empathy, purposefulness) in a way that gives them greater depth.

Would it be wise to perhaps mention my experience with parents’ divorce tangentially in my essay, but focus the essay on a story more unique to myself? I’ve done a bit of freewriting and I have plenty of “side stories” that when put together reveal a lot about my character, but not one single narrative that can stretch over 650 words. I’m not quite sure how to approach this and would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.