How to negotiate financial aid - or is it even possible

DS has admits into a few similar/peer colleges (Emory, UNC, Rochester, Case, UW-Madison, Lehigh) - they all gave different amounts of awards. UNC and Wisconsin gave no merit or need-based aid they only offered small loans; Rochester, Case, Lehigh gave 10-20k merit and 5-20k aid; Emory gave no merit and waiting for their need-based aid. I read that there are instances of negotiating or requesting additional aid based on a competing college offer. How to go about it? really appreciate any pointers.

All schools already have full financial docs through FAFSA, CSS, IDOC (couple of them asked some very detailed info) - our financial situation didn’t change. Can I go to college A and show them the offer from college B and request to match it? (feels very awkward…but…can do if it actually work) heard of people doing it…thought of checking if these negotiations actually work?
TIA

1 Like

Which of these do you think are peer schools?

UW, for example. Does not guarantee to meet full need for all. Are you an instate resident there?

Emory is very competitive for merit aid.

Rochester, Case and Lehigh, I would guess are peer schools but you said their aid was similar…so what are you using to get your aid reevaluated there?

You certainly can ask at any of these schools.

For merit aid, the bar very well is very different from school to school.

For need based aid, has anything changed in your financial picture since you applied for aid? If so, that will help you maybe in terms of need based aid.

How much more aid do you want…and from which school? If it’s a few thousand dollars, that might happen (I doubt it will happen at Wisconsin). But if you are looking at $10,000 or more…that’s a larger amount.

Plus remember, if you get more aid this year, you will likely be doing the same song and dance in subsequent years. These appeals for need based aid are for one year only.

Sure you can - but I’ll disagree with your premise (even though I’m not an aid parent).

UNC and Wisconsin are public and don’t really care what you need. UNC would not consider Wisconsin a peer. Where UNC is interesting is they guarantee to meet need for all domestic students - only they and UVA do.

In my opinion, Emory would not consider Rochester, Case or Lehigh a peer. Well no one would consider Lehigh a peer - fine school that is is.

Would Rochester and Case work - I suppose. I don’t think either would match - but if one was to assume, I could see that.

If Rochester/Case were richer in offer than Lehigh, I can see that working for Lehigh. But both Rochester and Case meet need as does, now I believe Lehigh.

You are really seeking merit. Colleges calculate their aid as they see it - and they’re all different - some use home equity or other things that differ from one another.

That said, I’m a full pay parent so you’ll get better answers - but I don’t think your premise is right.

I suppose if Emory was better aid wise, that’d be your best bet to match as they are the top of the heap from the reputational POV of the 4 privates.

True I used the term ‘peer institute’ loosely (and suspected that many will disagree) - but the main point is even if any of two colleges agree that they are peers - is it possible to negotiate?

In our case UW may not negotiate as it does not meet the need - so not planning anything about it. Emory - we will wait till they give the final award. For other, we thought of following reasons that we could use to request:

1. UNC meets the need - based on their npc (and as per their own final FA docs) we need 20k. they offered 12k in loans. This is not meet full-need. But not sure if we can go on this stand alone and have to show other college awards.
  2. Case - Rochester - Lehigh: they all gave merit aid in varying amounts. agree that FA calculations may vary and may not be much wiggle room. Wondering if we go to Rochester (with least merit) and ask for more based on Case/Lehigh awards. We are seeing 5-10k diff.

We know its a long shot - wondering if its even worth trying and if we do try looking for any successful strategies (what info to collect/show); any general tips so to speak.

@tsbna44 didnt both of your kids receive good merit awards? This parent has questions about those too.

2 Likes

Every college that meets full need has their own way of calculating that need. Things that could be different:

1. Some colleges include some portion of primary home equity

2. Some colleges treat self employed parents differently than other colleges. Are you self employed or do you own a business?

And regarding merit aid…each school sets their own bar in terms of awarding merit aid.

Employed

They did -

1. One is at an auto merit school and those are still taking apps - your Bama, Arizona, UAH (to be more like the Lehighs of the world) and more.

2. The other was at a variable merit school - but her way doesn’t work in that - they had a range of up to $12K and she got.

But then after accepting she got more via endowed scholarships - another $25K and one can’t count on that.

One can count on automerit - but not sure OP is looking to reopen their search - but maybe to get a preferred school to the cost of another on her list…at least that’s my guess.

Every college that meets full need has their own way of calculating that need. And adding some have deeper pockets than others.

And regarding merit aid…each school sets their own bar in terms of awarding merit aid.

1 Like

Isn’t there also an issue with some schools meeting ‘need’ through loans? There are relatively few schools that have meet full need/no loans in the package kind of financial aid.

2 Likes

Colleges are different - and even for Student A vs Student B they are different.

My best suggestion is to rank your colleges by preference. Pick the top one and contact their financial aid office telling them they’re the top choice, but it’s difficult to afford. Can they perhaps match Choice B? Be prepared to send them Choice B’s offer.

If they say yes, be prepared to commit. If they say no, contemplate the second top choice for the same thing if the first choice is, indeed, too expensive.

It can’t hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. They aren’t going to rescind an offer of admission. Your student won’t be affected at all on campus if they opt to go there.

ETA: In my world Rochester, Case, and Emory are peer schools - but that might just be my area of the educational world. State schools are different. Lehigh is in it’s own world - still quite respected.

1 Like

The Direct Loan is packaged to students by many schools as part of meeting their need.

The Parent Plus Loan is a parent loan…it is not student financial aid.

I would call UNC and find out why there is such a big difference between the FA offer and what the NPC says. Our award came within $50 of the NPC (this was a few years ago).

1 Like

How much more do you need?

You can ask, but do not approach it as a negotiation. Emory will not consider aid from any of the other schools on the list as relevant.

UWisc and UNC couldn’t care less.

Might Rochester, CWRU and/or Lehigh take a look at what the other two offered? Sure, worth a try.

My advice that I give to everyone who wants more FA is to expect nothing, best case one might get a couple grand more. Consider communicating a number/Net COA that if the school gets to you will commit on the spot. If you aren’t willing to do that, you are just wasting people’s time.

7 Likes

We did have Parent Plus Loans listed in some of our kids’ financial aid packages to get close to our EFC number or the college’s version of that. Then EFC was on top of that loan.

Yes, you can ask for more. Under $5000 at some of the merit friendly schools is an easier ask than over that amount. If if is a straight up need based school, they will want further justification.

Explaining your total cost at other colleges you are considering is more helpful than saying “x college gave $merit, can you match that?”

3 Likes

That was a way for you to fund college costs. The Parent Plus Loan is not student financial aid.

@kelsmom

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion - explaining the total cost at other college works in our favor as well.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/opinions.
Our effort got a bit more complex with another positive news on the Ivy day (a good problem to have) - will wait for the two colleges that have yet to reveal the aid. Our primary focus is to get down to 2-3 shortlisted options and go from there.

2 Likes

Although Parent Plus is often listed in the total financial aid package, it’s not student aid. If a school meets need, it might include the Parent Plus because it can be used to cover the parent & student contributions. A school that doesn’t meet need might include the Parent Plus loan because it can be used to meet the difference between COA and total student aid. Either way, it’s a parent loan (even if the parent expects their student to repay it for them, which can only be an unofficial arrangement between parent and child).

@nhdad2012, total net cost is the only thing you should discuss if you try to negotiate. You need to determine what you are willing to pay, choose a top school, tell them that cost is very important for your family, and let them know that you have an option that meets your desired cost. Let them know how much you will need to make it possible for your child to attend their school, and be prepared to walk away if you don’t get an increase that works for you.

3 Likes