How to post a "Help Me Decide" College A vs College B Thread

Now that you have all your decisions, you want help deciding? Here’s how to post on CC and get the best responses:

1. Include the school names in the title. For example:

UCSB vs Bryn Mawr vs Scripps vs Stony Brook

1. Tag the thread with help-me-decide and post in the College Search & Selection category. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

2. Include enough information for others to help. For each school

• Pros
  • Cons
  • Costs and any aid
  • Any special considerations
  • Intended Major

Anything else that should be included? This post is a wiki, so feel free to edit!

This also follows Reddit’s model pretty closely so feel free to post there also.

9 Likes

Have tons of advice to dispense? :wink: Click the link below to see a list of all posts tagged with help-me-decide

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/tag/help-me-decide

1 Like

Expanding on this:

• Regarding costs:
    • It is best to indicate the net price after subtracting grants and scholarships from the list price for each school.
    • If there are any merit scholarships involved, indicate what college GPA is needed to renew them, if known.
    • Also indicate what you and your parents can afford to pay before loans and part time work as a student.
  • Regarding intended major:
    • If certain about major, include it in the thread title (e.g. “CollegeX, CollegeY, College Z for computer science”).
    • Also indicate what major or division you were admitted to at the school, if the school makes that distinction at admission.
    • If undecided, indicate what possible majors you may consider (e.g. “something in humanities”, “math or music”, etc.).
    • If known, indicate any goals for post-graduation (e.g. (type of) employment, PhD program, professional school like MD, JD, MBA, …).
3 Likes

It really helps having the names in the title. Thanks for doing this.

2 Likes

Another suggestion for info to include:

If you have one, your 529 balance

1 Like

Knowing about the information helped me a lot

3 Likes