How to prove worthiness for nursing?

I’m currently a junior and want to be a nursing major. I’m in a Health Careers program, a community tobacco education group run by teens, and I volunteer at a hospital. However, I got a C in my freshman geometry class, a C in one semester of algebra 2 and a B in second semester my sophomore year, and a B in first semester chemistry and a C in second semester chemistry sophomore year as well. I’m not a bad student, and I have gotten all A’s or B’s in every other class. I got honors in physics my freshman year, and I’ve taken 3 AP classes. Will I still be able to get into nursing programs? I’m also planning on taking AP Bio next year. How should I prove I am able to be a nurse? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You’ll probably have to apply to a pricey small private that has direct entry.

A school like UCLA will not admit you (suggested in your other thread).

How much will your parents pay? Those pricey small privates with direct entry often give lousy aid.

So what is your current GPA? What are your SAT and/or ACT scores? Most direct entry Nursing programs require top grades (think 3.8+ or higher) with equally good test scores. They will also require at minimum solid B grades in Biology and Chemistry HS courses.

What is your Home state and how much can your parents pay each year?

My current GPA is 3.82, and my SAT score is 1250. I haven’t taken the ACT yet. My home state is Oregon, so I was planning to go to a small private on the west coast. Unfortunately, my parents can’t pay more than $10k a year, so I’ll be drowning in debt.

You will not be drowning in debt, your parent’s will. You as a student can only take out a total of $27K for 4 years in student loans. The rest will depend upon your parents either paying from savings, current income or taking out loans- Parent Plus loans. You can take out $5500 for Freshman year, $6500 Sophomore year and $7500 Junior/Senior year.
If your parents are not willing to pay for private colleges in-state or OOS, then your options are limited. You would need to look for private schools that offer merit aid based on your stats.

First, have the money talk with your parents. Find out what they are willing to pay before you start focusing on specific schools. Once you have a budget, then you can start looking at schools that fit that budget.

UCLA will cost $60K/year with no financial aid so cross that off your list.

I know you are looking for Direct admit nursing, but if finances are limited, attending a CC in Oregon and then transferring to a Nursing program Junior year is a good option. My co-worker’s daughter from California, actually had family in Oregon and attended Portland Community College. She just successfully transferred to the University of Portland Nursing school is doing very well.

As suggested by @mom2collegekids, you will need to cast a wide net if finances are an issue and you want to attend OOS schools.

Is that your unweighted gpa? Seems a bit high for three c’s and several b’s, I could be totally wrong though

Thank you for all of your help, @Gumbymom, I really appreciate it!

You might want to look at the WUE schools where you get a discounted tuition rate. You need to check if Nursing majors are an option for the discounted tuition.

http://wue.wiche.edu/search_results.jsp?searchType=all

http://wiche.edu/wue/advisors

WUE doesn’t work well for students whose parents won’t pay. This is a student who probably won’t have enough aid to cover instate costs, much less 150% tuition at a WUE school plus other costs.

@nwmish Please ask your parents exactly how much they’ll pay. it appears that you sort of pulled that $10k number out of a hat. Unless your parents have college savings, if they’ll pay $10k per year, that means that they have an extra $1k per month that they can put towards college for 4 years (not counting summer).

Your parents may say that they’ll pay less …or more. Either way , you need to know.

You won’t be drowning in debt because you can only borrow $5,500 as a freshman. To borrow more would mean that your parents would have to borrow/co-sign and most parents won’t do that.

https://osbn.oregon.gov/OSBNOnlineReports/default.aspx?ReportName=OregonApprovedNursingPrograms

You probably are not aware of all these programs.

This is off of Oregon’s Board of Nursing web site. It lists all of Oregon’s nursing programs.

I don’t know if Oregon has ‘reciprocity’ with any adjoining states. My niece in WI went to a nursing BSN program in MN that was a public, and she was able to attend due to reciprocity between MN and WI.

Since Oregon has nursing programs, I do not believe one can attend OOS due to no program in-state - but the rules of WUE need to be looked at. IDK. I know within our region, if a public in our region offers a degree not offered in-state with us, the region program would kick in. A friend’s S got into a very specific type of architecture program that had differences in the name of the degree and the courses - not offered in our state.

Consider LPN to Associate degree RN to later BSN program if that is what you can get in. Some in-state may have ‘direct entry’ or scholars type program with senior year application deadline and selection for BSN program. DD at her college in AL had scholars program (Dec 1 of HS senior year application deadline), and she continued and graduated on time.

If another adjoining state has reciprocity, look up that state board web site and see the list of education programs in that state.

Also recommend taking every opportunity to gain skills - CNA program, gain nurse tech work experiences. DD was in a special VA program, and was able to hire in to VA at a very strong salary - VA does not take new school grads except those that are in a VA program or already work for the VA.

Also can look at military options. Some years are better than others, but if in ROTC at college, possibly can get into field training between sophomore and junior year, and military will pay stipend plus school costs to complete BSN. DD didn’t make it due to big budget cuts that year (for Air Force nursing).

When I saw $60k per UCLA, I got puzzled but yeah, the out of state fees… That’s my D17 only applied California schools, and UC only has 2 undergraduate program as far as I know UCLA and UCI. may be Davis but my D17 didn’t want to go up there.

I think there is a shortage of nurses but this time experienced nurses not fresh out of college RNs I guess in Southern California. So for my daughter and all other so cal students, Nursing is hard. Getting in is tough, staying in the program is tough, passing the license is not automatic either, getting the first job may be easier out of state or out there nowhere in boonies, and working as RN is no walking in the park (my wife was RN, NP, and now DNP so we know this well). But no pain no gain and anything good life takes time and effort. Nursing is a life worthy career and vocation. Pay is relatively higher than other jobs and many, many opportunities once you gain some experience and move up or around. Also the work schedule can be more flexible than other 9 to 5 jobs so easier to enjoy life and travel.

Well, we prepared our daughter talking about all these in the past a few years and she did what she could so we’ll wait and see… be of luck to all students and parents. Please post your decision related news in other West Side thread.

I meant west coast thread…

"Nursing Decisions on West Coast 2017: Where are you thinking of going and why? "

Nursing is a great field for students who are very good at science but not great at math. Most nursing programs only require a stats class and one basic math class. It is best to take the ACT vs. the SAT, because the ACT emphasizes science and has less emphasis on math.

I love math and science and I am a nursing major. It