How to reclass for boarding school?

Hello all,
My pal wants to know how kids reclass when applying to boarding school. I’ve learned about this on CC and am flabbergasted. It sounds AMAZING. Wish we had done it. She’s curious: how do you present that in your application without it looking bad (if you’re not an athlete?)
Thanks so much, fabulous community!!

Both of my sons reclassed and it had nothing to do with sports. It’s so common that I don’t think it warrants some big explanation.

My oldest son was waitlisted at every school he applied to as a young 8th grader (summer birthday). He reapplied the next year as a reclassed 9th grader and got multiple admits and is now at a GLADCHEMMS school. I don’t remember if he even addressed it in his application, but I’m sure that I probably said something in the parent statement about his increased maturity during that year, which was 100% true. (It was also very evident if you compared his new essays to the ones from the previous year.)

Our youngest son skipped a grade in elementary school, so we didn’t even consider having him apply in 8th grade. He applied as a reclassed 9th grader at the same school as his brother and was admitted. I definitely addressed his situation in my parent essay. Neither he nor his father and I were ready for him to move 600 miles away at that age.

FWIW, my daughter (the oldest) also went to the same school and ended up being jealous of her brothers for having an extra year of math as well as honors bio at our LPS before arriving at BS.

Reminder that “asking for a friend” is not permitted on CC.

1 Like