How to report high school classes that have articulated to the local community college on applications?

I’m looking to hear any personal experiences regarding reporting “HIGH SCHOOL ARTICULATION” classes - as described at the end of this post. Any experience would be helpful, and I am especially interested in those that discuss applications in California to the UCs and CSUs.

For us the complication in particular is that DS24 has taken all three types of classes as described below. It is the first one that really stumps me about how his applications are going to go later this year.

DS24’s high school has several classes that include both regular classes and Career Technical Education (CTE) classes (e.g. health, career exploration, computer science, AP Gov.) for which students can earn credit at the local community college. To get the credit “students need to work through their teachers after completing the class to complete the necessary paperwork and procedures required to have credit posted to their college transcripts (this was worked out in agreement with one local community college). Students must earn a B or better in the high school course to articulate to the community college transcript”.

These are classes that are required to graduate high school AND also meet A-G requirements for university admission AND also IGETC and CSU GE credit for some of them. They are on the high school transcripts with a specific course code and also on the college transcript with a different corresponding community college course code for that school and has a designation as 2+2.

From what I have investigated, I have some thoughts that he needs to report these only in the college section of the application because they are on the college transcript, but for the high school students that didn’t “work with their teachers” they are only on their high school transcripts. And they are on both of DS24’s transcript.

I know of a student who just graduated in 2023 who has already received confirmation that they will be getting CSU credit for the one high school class that was articulated to their college transcript. It is the only class they have on the community college transcript, so not exactly our situation. Also they only reported it in the college section of the application and not the high school section, even though it would have met an elective (G) requirement for high school graduation.

If I get any replies to this post, I also have questions about how that will affect DS24’s UC and CSU admission GPA.

Ultimately I know that I will be reaching out to each school individually and asking, but does anyone have any experience to share?

What is the difference between Articulation, Dual Enrollment and Concurrent Enrollment?
 HIGH SCHOOL ARTICULATION: High school courses taken by high school students during the traditional school day, courses are aligned with a community college course in the same discipline, courses are taught by the high school faculty, on the high school campus, serves high school students only.
 DUAL ENROLLMENT: College courses taken by high school students, courses typically offered on the high school campus during the traditional school day, courses are typically taught by high school faculty who meet community college minimum qualifications, these courses serve primarily high school students.
 CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT: College courses taken by high school students outside of the traditional school day, courses are typically offered on community college campus, courses are taught by community college faculty, and they are open to the public.
All three methods provide high school students the opportunity to get a “jump-start” on their education – saving valuable time and money in the process! In addition, students will gain confidence in their ability to complete college work which should help them to transition into post-secondary education much easier.
…From: https://www.norcocollege.edu/academicAffairs/cte/articulation/Documents/TEACHERS_FAQ_articulation.pdf

Assist.org shows CA CC course articulation for the UC’s and CSU’s.

Even if the CC classes are listed on the HS transcript, for the CSU’s and UC’s they are reported under the college course section. A college transcript will be required for all classes taken regardless of the HS policy.

UC’s and CSU’s will give articulated CC courses and are A-G requirements taken the summer after 9th through the summer prior to 12th extra weighting in the GPA calculations. The exception is Cal Poly SLO which uses 9-11th A-G course grades with an 8 semester Honors point cap.

For the UC’s: 1 semester course and grade gets an extra Honors point in the UC GPA calculations (Capped weighted and Fully weighted).

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

For the CSU’s: 1 semester course and grade gets 1 Honors points and the course grade is listed twice on the application. CSU capped GPA has a maximum of 8 semester of Honors points in their calculation.

Also note: Since college courses are reported separately on the CSU application, some CSU’s have stated they do not consider the college GPA into their admissions index calculation. SJSU is one of these schools which previously has not included college course grades when you calculate the impaction index GPA… You might want to be proactive and contact each CSU about college courses and GPA calculation. The CSU application once submitted will list a CSU GPA based on the inputted data for HS grades only and some campuses will use this GPA vs. recalculating.

2 Likes

Thank you! Reading this written like this makes it clearer. It just seemed so counterintuitive initially to leave it off of the section where we would report the high school transcript.

The situation is interesting when we calculate the GPA for schools like SJSU and Cal Poly SLO and the UCs… it is very different each time. DS has a strong GPA including some honors points and also more than 10 semesters per year. This taken into consideration along with the particular year competed (i.e., 9th, 10th or 11th) and if it will be worth one or two sememsters in the calculation (UC vs CSU conversion) is making for great variations in his GPA, as we knew it would after reading so much on here over the past few years. For example, one of the year long high school elective classes that is on the community college transcript was completed in 9th grade. It is worth two community college classes.

As you said, it is a good idea for us to reach out to each school when the time comes to apply with questions.

1 Like

UC’s will consider all 3 UC GPA’s so more than 8 semesters of honors points will be factored into her UC Fully weighted GPA. Unfortunately, the CSU’s remain capped at 8 semesters of Honors points and will not include 9th grade CC courses with the exception of Cal Poly SLO but it is wise to contact each CSU to determine if they will only use the calculated CSU GPA from the application or include the CC courses also.

Would love to get feedback on the CSU information. Best of luck to her as she wades through the application process.

Thank you; and I will make a note to myself to give feedback as things progress.

1 Like

What do you think about this? One of the classes that DS24 took in 10th grade is an AP class and it is included on the community college transcript because of the articulation agreement (with a new class name and course number). So going on what we discussed earlier and using SJSU as an example, it will be reported in the college section of the CSU application and not included in the high school section. And also that class will not be included in SJSUs admissions index calculation based on what you wrote. (But will be included when looking at the number of A-G classes, correct?) The result of not including it for the calculation is that his GPA calculates higher, because there are less classes in the calculation (and there happens to be 8 extra honors points in this case). Am I explaining it correctly?

AP classes are HS classes, not community college courses but considered to be college level. It should be listed on the HS academic section. Which class and did she sit for the exam?

AP Computer Science A. He took the exam and received a score of 5. And since the high school class submitted the paperwork to the community college with his grade (A), he has credit there for Programming 1. He has not submitted his AP scores anywhere yet.

Submitting the AP score for credit at the CC is not the same as having the course listed on the college transcript for admission purposes.

Edited: So according to the UC/CSU policies below, if it is a college course, then it should be listed on the college academic section of the application.

Here is more information about DE and UC admissions: Dual enrollment

DE policies for the Cal states: https://www.calstate.edu/attend/counselor-resources/Documents/college-dual-enrollment-coursework-guidance.pdf

However, an AP course could also be a DE course… in that case, it looks like both UC and CSU pages above would say to report it in the college section, not the high school section, of the application.

I will also add that some students take a community college course that covers AP material and will take the AP exam so they can get credit if the CC course does not articulate to some of the colleges where they may eventually matriculate.

Thank you for the clarification so I will edit my post.

Thank you both!

:sweat_smile: Just can’t let it go for today… I am a little concerned about how this AP Computer Science A/Programming 1 class will be classified in the A-G course list on his applications. When I look at the UC A-G articulation website, AP Computer Science A from the high school counts as an extra “C- Mathematics” class, but when I look at the UC articulation agreement with the community college class for the programming class, it falls under “G- College-Preparatory Elective.” I’m thinking this might be a disadvantage when applying to a STEM major.

If she has met the Math Category C requirements for the CSU/UC’s without this course, she can elect to list the course under C or G. G category is defined as:

One year (two semesters) chosen from courses specific to the elective (G) subject area or courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements of the A-F subjects.

That’s great to know, thanks again! Something to look for when completing the application later this year.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.