How to report high school conservatory work on Common App?

My S24 has been attending a small conservatory for roughly 8 hours a week since 9th grade. His classes are music theory, composition, private piano, and various ensembles. As a homeschool parent, many of the colleges and conservatories are asking that I submit a detailed course description for the classes he has taken, and I’m wondering if I should include these classes in that course description. (I guess that is technically a question for admissions.) The high school conservatory administration has experience with college and conservatory admissions, of course, and will make a transcript for him, too. I just like to be on top of things, since technically I am his “high school counselor.” I’m curious to see if any of you have had experience with something like this and how it was reported, or how your student reported it, on the Common App so that it reflected the depth of study. Thanks!

I would love to see what other people say but precollege conservatory is generally consider an extracurricular and not part of theHS transcript. I don’t think that would be different for a home school student. My son attends a larger one and they can provide a transcript if you ask (he will not and just list it as his main EC on the common app).

Okay, interesting. In my mind, these are classes no different from his academic classes, but everything is a “class” in the mind of a homeschooler. :rofl: It seems as if you are saying that in the traditional schools, these classes would be no different than another student participating in a robotics club? Part of me feels like listing them as ECs undervalues the experience. But as I sit here and think about it, I guess the compositions will be a spotlighted in his portfolio, and at some places he will audition, which will demonstrate his piano proficiency. I guess his music theory studies can be relayed through his letter of recommendation?

Is he submitting a music supplement, or applying to audition programs? If the former, he can include a recording/video, music resume and letters of recommendation related to music. In my experience, kids who attend conservatory prep programs do pretty well with admissions. (And I would call it an EC for a kid who wasn’t homeschooled. For a homeschooler I would ask admissions.)

I contacted admissions at the schools that use the Common App, so I’ll wait patiently to hear back. But as you probably saw in my response to @helpingthekid73, I thought about how the knowledge and skills will likely get highlighted through the audition process at most places, even if listed as an EC.

So for kids who attend the NYC precolleges (my S24 attends one) they have many years of theory, ear training, lessons, and chamber, orchestra, etc. It is just listed as an EC and highlighted in their supplemental videos for non audition programs and resumes for conservatories. This is a common thing that high level musical kids do and the classes themselves are not anything more than part of the intense EC (my kid will list it as a 20 hour a week commitment between the extra day at the program and the practicing invovled).

That is all really good to know. One thing that jumped out to me: What is this “supplemental video for non-audition programs” you speak of?! What is your S24 going to major in?

A lot of schools allow the submission of a supplemental video to support the application, even if the student is not applying for a music major. Some schools even have music scholarships for non-majors. My S23 (engineering major) submitted videos for several schools.

D26 attends a precollege conservatory program, and I’ve been starting to wonder how it should be reported on apps, so I’m thankful for this thread :heart:

1 Like

Precollege conservatory is an EC, not an academic class. It goes in the ECs.

1 Like

So I think that you need to start at the information thread for on the music major forum. Basically, there are lots of different ways to do music in college. You can get a BM in music at a conservatory, you can get a BM in music in a larger college that has a music program, you can double major in music and something else at a school that has a conservatory or you can do what my S24 is planning which is to apply to LACs and other schools without conservatories and major or minor in music (BA). For many of the highly competitive non audition based schools they allow an arts supplement where you submit videos of playing, and some allow music recommendations and resumes. Each school has its own criteria. So S24 is preparing two or three contrasting pieces that he will record and submit as a supplement to his general application. He will meet with music departments and teachers at schools of interest both to meet them and so they can meet him and potentially support his application.

This is the read me thread

1 Like

I did read the thread, though it’s been awhile, and maybe I need to go back and read again. It’s just that I am the high school counselor and this is my first (and only) musical kid. While I am also working with his conservatory, I feel a responsibility to learn as much as I possibly can about the whole admissions process. I didn’t really realize or think about a video supplement for the LACs and other universities without auditions. I had planned to have him submit supplemental documents, I had just not considered a video as something we could add. He wants to study composition, so we could possibly attach a performance of his music, I’m assuming.

This has been a really helpful conversation as I continue to think through and guide my son as he works on his applications.

1 Like

For composition he would attach copies of his compositions. here is the page from princeton Optional Arts Supplement | Princeton Admission

and Yale
https://yalemusic.yale.edu/undergraduate/supplementary-materials-admission

1 Like

For composition programs at a conservatory, my understanding is that applicants typically need to submit recordings of a performance of each piece along with the score. (My daughter studies composition.) Depending on the level of piano proficiency required for the composition program, there might also be a piano performance audition (that’s what we were told, anyway). If he’s not applying to a conservatory program, however, the requirements might not be as extensive or specific.

Exactly. And we have all the requirements for each school on a spreadsheet/checklist, so we are good to go for those schools. He is applying to one LAC where there is no request for a portfolio, but as suggested above, he’ll attach a supplement.

1 Like

The discussion has kind of drifted away from my original question, partly my fault for asking about a VIDEO supplement.

You all have helped me understand (and think through) the whole precollege conservatory classes as ECs though. I appreciate it!

1 Like

@MommaBerd when I referred to supplement vs audition, I was referring to the application process for non-BM programs vs BM programs. If your child is majoring in music or majoring in something else at a BA/BS program (not a conservatory or school of music) the supplement becomes important, with the components I listed. Most of these do not have auditions for admission, only in the fall for participation in orchestra etc.

So to answer your question, list the conservatory prep program as an EC on the Common App but for non-BM schools- also submit a music supplement if/as accepted by the school with video/recording (cue best 3 minutes), a music resume (that will list all those years of classes/lessons/performances/awards et.), and 1-2 letters of recommendation related to music (not just about talent, also work ethic, working with others, wide interests etc.).

1 Like