How well attended are the HC watch parties at the zone?

<p>Is this something a lot of HC kids do? What other kinds of watch parties etc are available for the kids?</p>

<p>Last year’s Honors College viewing party at the Zone was well-attended. The zone is expensive to rent and there would not be a viewing party there again this year if teh HCA felt that it couldn’t get enough students to come and watch the game. Two years ago, a viewing party for honors students was hosted in the ferg. While it was well-attended, most people left after the getting food and watching the first half of the game. Now that it is held in a much nicer venue, I’d think that students would stay for most all of the game.</p>

<p>For those who were wondering what/where The Zone is…</p>

<p>It’s at Bryant Denny Stadium…it’s a large viewing room where away games can be watched…</p>

<p>Here’s part of an article from last year…</p>

<p>*While the event is open to any Honors student, the event seeks to integrate Honors freshmen into the Honors and UA communities.</p>

<p>“We’ve also been pointing students to our blog for Honors College freshmen, bamafreshmen.blogspot.com, for more information and a link to the sign-up sheet,” Pittman said.</p>

<p>Pittman said the use of The Zone, an expansive private lounge and viewing room for games at Bryant-Denny Stadium, is a new spin on an old method.*</p>

<p>*“We’ve hosted game-watching parties before, but we felt like we had never fully tapped the community-building potential of that type of event,” Pittman said. “We decided that hosting an event at a venue like The Zone would be the best way to build student interest and make the event truly successful.”</p>

<p>Pittman said The Zone could become a more common tool for the Honors College.*</p>

<p>It’s quite large…</p>

<p>*Nick’s Kids luncheon draws big crowd - Aug. 5
About 500 people packed The Zone in Bryant-Denny Stadium on Thursday, but the focus was not on the approaching start of University of Alabama football. The fifth annual Nick’s Kids luncheon saw the distribution of close to $350,000 to 73 charitable organizations through Nick and Terry Saban’s foundation. *
[Nick’s</a> Kids luncheon draws big crowd | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110805/NEWS/110809871/1011/SPORTS?Title=Nick-s-Kids-luncheon-draws-big-crowd]Nick’s”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110805/NEWS/110809871/1011/SPORTS?Title=Nick-s-Kids-luncheon-draws-big-crowd)</p>

<p>I was looking for a better pic…I know I’ve seen one, but I can’t find it now…</p>

<p>Dang! Just talked to D and she had no idea about this! And of course she up to her elbows in plaster right now so probably won’t go :(</p>

<p>The emails from the honors college often get overlooked because sometimes too many are sent. Hopefully a change about emails/notifications will change in the future so that kids don’t overlook such emails because they’re getting too many.</p>

<p>can non-honors friend be invited to these zone parties?</p>

<p>I doubt that they check names at the door. anyone know for sure?</p>

<p>It’s $5 to get in, I don’t thing they “check lists” or anything, I would think the more the merrier. But I will ask my D to be sure.</p>

<p>There are often football parties in the TV viewing rooms at the various dorms.</p>

<p>I ended up going today and there was a good (150+) amount of people in attendance. I did hear that a few of the students in attendance were not in honors, but the vast majority of attendees were freshman honors students. It appeared that most stayed for the whole game, but many went back to their dorms after the first half to watch the game on the TVs in the common rooms.</p>

<p>D said non honors did/could definitely come. She had a blast, and said its was very swanky, a fun way to watch an away game. </p>

<p>Oh, and good food too (Dreamland!)</p>

<p>I’m glad your D had a good time.</p>

<p>FWIW, it was Full Moon BBQ.</p>

<p>Yes, just about any cad could go. My son was able to get his girlfriend, his sister, and me in without difficulty. I’m still trying to figure out which of them was SEA_tide and nicollec’s D…</p>

<p>I was the old guy in the middle of the Zone just taking in my first dose of 'Bama football. Such a nice facility. It did look like quite a few folks left at halftime, including us. We went and watched the second half at the Ferg.</p>