How Will The UC ELC System Help Me?

During my junior year, I recieved a paper which was then signed by my parents from the UC system stating that because I’m in the top 9% of my class, I would likely be provided with a space at a UC school if I dont get into any that I applied to. That said, do I have to apply to all the schools to be eligible for this? Also, if I am looking at the top UC schools like UCLA and Berkeley are they more likely to offer me admission at a higher tier school or am I likely going to be offered a lower school like Merced or Riverside?

I also received the same paper. ELC may help with the admissions process at UCLA and UC Berkeley BUT it is designed to offer you a position at a UC if you are not accepted to the ones you apply to. Which UC it is all depends on space so I wouldn’t count on getting into UCLA or Berkeley through ELC. Typically the UC’s with the most available space are Merced and Riverside.

ELC guarantees that if you are not accepted into your choice UC, you will be offered admission into the UC Merced if room is available. I have seen some spots available at UC Riverside for ELC students last year, but as the UC’s get more competitive, UCM seems to be the default campus. ELC only helps at the other UC’s in that you are considered in the top 9% of your HS or state. You are not guaranteed admission in any of the other UC’s, especially UCB/UCLA.